Help! Promotion of a Program I Don't Support

Options
I recently joined the Wellness Committee at work. It is basically a group of staff members who send out tips and challenges for physical and mental health to employees. There are approximately 75 employees in my building, and a couple hundred more in the satellite offices.

Today, I have a meeting for this committee with the creator of a popular program that is run through a gym in my town. I know quite a few people who have done this program and had quick results, only to regain the weight (and then some) immediately after. They push a low carb/paleo diet and charge an arm and a leg to join the program. Their promotion is all based on quick results - it comes off as a crash diet with intense workouts, which is why so many people can't maintain the results, not to mention most people can't afford to continue a program that is as expensive as this one. One of the first posts on their Facebook page says "Discover how our Clients are losing 9-19 pounds in only 17 days!" They also have a recipe book of all "fat-burning recipes," whatever that means.
https://facebook.com/O2-Fuel-Performance-Training-135524366540805/
http://o2fuel.ca/

When I see these posts shared all over social media I cringe. I have no issue with people joining a fitness program or trying a new way of eating, but when I see people spending a fortune on a program that doesn't teach a sustainable way of life, it really rubs me the wrong way. And now I have to meet with this person and possibly promote the program with the rest of the committee. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Do you have any advice? I'm already getting worked up and the meeting isn't for another four hours.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    State your objections, preferably back with facts, try to do so tactfully. If other committee members over ride you, be prepared to remove yourself from the position. Wish I had better advice. Let us know how the meeting goes.
  • Milabella
    Milabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I am put in that position a lot in my work- and not always by choice. To me, it is most important to stay true to yourself, even if you have a minority opinion. It's good to ask clarifying questions like, what you're of support is available after the program, what % of your clients maintain our continue to lose 3,6,& 12 months after. Also if you are promoting their program for free, what are you gaining- discounted or free services? You can negotiate;compare similar less expensive programs. If you feel the same, stick to your guns/ personal/professional ethics. "I have no issue with people joining a fitness program or trying a new way of eating, but when I see people spending a fortune on a program that doesn't teach a sustainable way of life, it really rubs me the wrong way." If you want to be more diplomatic, instead of saying ribs me the wrong way, you can say you have concerns.

Leave it at that. If you're on a committee, they are most interested in your feedback. Don't invite them to try to change your mind. They will most likely use peer pressure. If they present more facts, then look interested in what they have to say & evaluate further. If they want you to encourage people to join the program, there's nothing wrong with posting flyers and sending emails if that's part of your job. Just be critical of messaging- false/ unreasonable claims, hidden costs.

If they want you to participate and you refuse. When people ask why, you can state your reason without bashing the company. Say something like, "I'm participating in a program that's allowing me to make sustainable changes and experience long term results. True, my results may not be as fast, but it works with my lifestyle and health goals. "
  • Milabella
    Milabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also, if there are elements of their program you like, highlight that. "I'm not sure that your weightloss program is the best option for our employees, but I'm interested in your group fitness classes & personal training program.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'd reach out with your concerns to select committee members ahead of the meeting so you can have them in your corner when you discuss this with the program creator.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Is this committee going to advocate the purchase this program for employee use, or simply promote it as a option for employees? If it's the latter, you can argue that employees should be provided a balanced range of options and throw some other ones out there.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Milabella wrote: »
    I totally understand. I am put in that position a lot in my work- and not always by choice. To me, it is most important to stay true to yourself, even if you have a minority opinion. It's good to ask clarifying questions like, what you're of support is available after the program, what % of your clients maintain our continue to lose 3,6,& 12 months after. Also if you are promoting their program for free, what are you gaining- discounted or free services? You can negotiate;compare similar less expensive programs. If you feel the same, stick to your guns/ personal/professional ethics. "I have no issue with people joining a fitness program or trying a new way of eating, but when I see people spending a fortune on a program that doesn't teach a sustainable way of life, it really rubs me the wrong way." If you want to be more diplomatic, instead of saying ribs me the wrong way, you can say you have concerns.

Leave it at that. If you're on a committee, they are most interested in your feedback. Don't invite them to try to change your mind. They will most likely use peer pressure. If they present more facts, then look interested in what they have to say & evaluate further. If they want you to encourage people to join the program, there's nothing wrong with posting flyers and sending emails if that's part of your job. Just be critical of messaging- false/ unreasonable claims, hidden costs.

If they want you to participate and you refuse. When people ask why, you can state your reason without bashing the company. Say something like, "I'm participating in a program that's allowing me to make sustainable changes and experience long term results. True, my results may not be as fast, but it works with my lifestyle and health goals. "

Thank you for your feedback. You make a lot of good points. This is the first thing I've done with this committee so I'm really not sure what to expect. Also, the whole committee will not be at this meeting; only a couple of us, so it should be interesting. I think I may just listen to what this guy has to say and wait to relay my concerns to the rest of the committee when we meet at a later date.
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Is this committee going to advocate the purchase this program for employee use, or simply promote it as a option for employees? If it's the latter, you can argue that employees should be provided a balanced range of options and throw some other ones out there.

I'm not sure what the intended goal is yet. But great point; I will definitely suggest additional options be provided to staff.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I was going to ask something similar. My office is very small, but they promoted a weight loss program recently. The company was willing to pay the cost for all employees who wanted to do it.

If the committee is going to advocate the purchase of the program they should be footing part of the bill. If it's just one option then they need to provide several other options (one of which should be free).
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If the company isn't paying for anything then maybe just suggest to the commit you also back some programs with more longterm results?
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I was going to ask something similar. My office is very small, but they promoted a weight loss program recently. The company was willing to pay the cost for all employees who wanted to do it.

If the committee is going to advocate the purchase of the program they should be footing part of the bill. If it's just one option then they need to provide several other options (one of which should be free).

The company definitely will not be paying for employees to try the program (I work in the public sector), but the creators of the program may be offering a discount to us. I definitely agree that other options should be explored.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    After the meeting, suggest that the program may be more geared toward those committed to that particular lifestyle -- those determined and energetic blah, blah, blah. I mean you do the program, right? So there may be a target market that can stick with it. Or just say, "it's not for lazy people."
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    After the meeting, suggest that the program may be more geared toward those committed to that particular lifestyle -- those determined and energetic blah, blah, blah. I mean you do the program, right? So there may be a target market that can stick with it. Or just say, "it's not for lazy people."

The OP does not do this program.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »

The OP does not do this program.

Got it. Not really the point though.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I would listen to the presentation, ask some of the thoughtful questions regarding long-term benefits and sustainability, etc., and then when it's time to make a recommendation, if you feel that it is not in the employees best interests, then say so. That's why you are on the committee.

"I have some experience and have received feedback from this particular program, and it is of questionable health to the participant and the results are not sustainable. Its a fad crash diet that doe not promote long-term health of our employees, so I think we should look elsewhere...". No healthy plan loses 19 pound in 17 days or whatever. That's not healthy.

Good luck! You'll do fine! Just be true to yourself and think: would I want my loved ones doing this program? If not, just say so.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally I would listen to the pitch, ask any questions you have about the programme, raise any concerns regarding crash dieting and long term results

Be professional and polite

Thank the pitcher for coming in

And then I would absolutely not hesitate to say that I couldn't support it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can ask questions of said "creator"
    > can you show long term statistics?
    > why is your expensive program different then X or Y free low carb program?
    > what are your workouts superior to other long term proven workouts?
    > How is this better than (X, Y or Z)
    > How long do your clients usually last with program?
    > Can you explain how 9-19 in 17 days IS NOT crash dieting?
    > It appears losing 9-19 generally goes against the vast majority of health professionals who recommend average weight loss rate of 1-2 pounds a week. Can you explain that?
    > how many long term successful clients would you say you have?
    > why should we pick your program over all the others?

It's their JOB to convince you that their product is better. It's your job to ask questions and evaluate it. go prepared with questions and make sure you don't sound like you're just trying to shoot it down.
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You can ask questions of said "creator"
    > can you show long term statistics?
    > why is your expensive program different then X or Y free low carb program?
    > what are your workouts superior to other long term proven workouts?
    > How is this better than (X, Y or Z)
    > How long do your clients usually last with program?
    > Can you explain how 9-19 in 17 days IS NOT crash dieting?
    > It appears losing 9-19 generally goes against the vast majority of health professionals who recommend average weight loss rate of 1-2 pounds a week. Can you explain that?
    > how many long term successful clients would you say you have?
    > why should we pick your program over all the others?

It's their JOB to convince you that their product is better. It's your job to ask questions and evaluate it. go prepared with questions and make sure you don't sound like you're just trying to shoot it down.

Well, I think I misunderstood the purpose of the meeting. I was under the impression that we were going to hear about the program as an option for staff. Evidently we were just setting up a day for him to come into our building and do a lunchtime presentation to interested staff on fitness and nutrition. To be honest, the entire "meeting" could have been handled over email, but apparently the guy wanted to come in and meet with a couple of us. I stepped in at the last minute when another committee member couldn't make it, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting into. The presentation was basically already planned, we just had to set a date and a "focus topic" for it.

That being said, you have all given me great feedback for the presentation itself. JoRocka, your questions are excellent and I will definitely be asking some of them at the presentation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh well that's equally good and equally annoying.

But now you have some thoughts should the subject come up again!!!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Do some research from credible sources, make notes, so that you don't blank when it comes to stating them, and stand up in that meeting and say how dumb that plan is and why.

Anyone can talk a room into anything if they are the only voice in the room, and no one is challenging them.

Finally this: come up with questions you know the average rep can't answer, and ask as many of those questions as you can. Phrase them like this " but dr so and so has stated conclusively that THIS is actually true, how does your company respond to that?" Or " studies by r(reliable organization) have shown that rapid weight loss isn't sustainable or healthy, how many of your participants have kept off the weight they lose, and can we see the data that backs that up?"

The rep is probably speaking by rote, and won't know how to answe you. The more times you can catch them up and get an "I don't know" the worse they look. Finally, at the end, don't pull your punches, stand up and say "I don't think anything I've heard tonight sounds like something I want to support, and I do not feel comfortable endorsing an unhealthy plan like this to my coworkers."

Basically you just drive them nuts.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    At least now you have time on your side. Beyond all the great suggestions for the actual meeting, also keep in mind how the committee and your input might have impact on any work relationships. Having served on our HOA Board of Directors years ago, I found that often people you think are adults can't deal with any opposing opinions, and just as often seem to want to decide things before the fact. Politics starts at a really low level, and it's just as corrupt at that lower level sometimes.