Following ketogenic diet

Options
Hello MFP Community,

I have been using this tool and find it interesting to see macros and where I go overboard. Before doing this it would have been interesting just logging in the foods I use to eat and to see how many carbs I had been eating daily. It's mind blowing. So while still not 100% I am on my way to learning how to do this better. If anyone has any words of wisdom I am open to listen. Thanks!

Replies

• cbeck01
    cbeck01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also follow a ketogenic lifestyle (I don't like to call it a diet) and it has changed my life! So far I have lost 42 pounds, my joints don't ache, and my chronic insomnia is gone! I agree my mind was blown when I realized how many empty carbs I consumed on a regular basis. Best of luck to you in your journey! Out of curiosity what do you have your macros set at?
  • ishkadoodles
    ishkadoodles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started following the keto lifestyle as well. I was using LoseIt as my food tracker but have been really frustrated that they don't track net carbs. For those who have been using MFP for a while, what do you think of it? Does it track everything you need to be confidently keto? Do I need a Premium membership or do you get by pretty well on the free membership?

Thanks!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just started following the keto lifestyle as well. I was using LoseIt as my food tracker but have been really frustrated that they don't track net carbs. For those who have been using MFP for a while, what do you think of it? Does it track everything you need to be confidently keto? Do I need a Premium membership or do you get by pretty well on the free membership?

Thanks!

The regular MFP app/website also doesn't track net carbs... I'm not sure if the premium membership would or not. It's kind of a pain but easy enough to subtract your fiber from your total carbs.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cbeck01 wrote: »
    I also follow a ketogenic lifestyle (I don't like to call it a diet) and it has changed my life! So far I have lost 42 pounds, my joints don't ache, and my chronic insomnia is gone! I agree my mind was blown when I realized how many empty carbs I consumed on a regular basis. Best of luck to you in your journey! Out of curiosity what do you have your macros set at?

That's awesome!

I just started Monday. My boyfriend apparently lost 120 pounds in 10 months on it and he has inspired me to give it a shot too... hoping to lose 35. Not quite as drastic as his loss but to me it would be!

I have my macros at 10% carbs (30 grams), 60% fat (90 grams) and 30% protein (80 grams). Total 1200 calories. That was his suggestion :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hi all, glad Keto is working so well for you! Drop by the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • NotFatFluffy4
    NotFatFluffy4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are a seasoned ketogenic dieter and would like to meet others with like-minds - come check out The Keto Collective. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509051109387584/
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am on day 8 of Keto. This is not my first go at it. I used Keto many years ago before my (first) wedding. My mother had done it in the early 80's and recommended it for me to drop a few pounds before the big day. It worked then, but I didn't stick with it, mainly because I was young and not committed and I didn't really understand the science behind it. I'm not sure whether anyone fully did then. But now we do and with diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure rampant in my family, I'm doing everything I can to get a firm grip on my health and fitness.
    I don't weigh very often, so I haven't stepped on a scale yet. I don't think I'm fully in ketosis, anyway. I will say that my energy level and strength at the gym feel vastly improved and overall I feel very healthy and energetic.
    My only problem is that I'm already growing bored with my limited array of eligible foodstuffs. But it helps to check my thinking and remind myself that food is for fuel and not for entertainment.
    I would love the support and info a group can offer. I really do intend to make this my long-term lifestyle. I don't do "diets." :)
  • sailorplutoisaplanet
    Options
    Day 3 of Keto. I had excellent result with it about a year ago but fell off the wagon, as it were. So I'm gonna give it another go. I got my hubs on board this time so having that extra support will be nice. Good luck to all who are just starting out and congrats on those who've successfully made a lifestyle change! :D
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    use this - https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

The regular MFP app/website also doesn't track net carbs... I'm not sure if the premium membership would or not. It's kind of a pain but easy enough to subtract your fiber from your total carbs.

• mirakunk81
    mirakunk81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loosely followed it last year and lost 20 pounds. I'm planning to be very strict this year. Looking for friends on MFP who share food diaries and are supportive. Keto only please. I also IF. Just logged in today for the first time. Will start tracking tomorrow. I am still exploring all the MFP features and want to start fresh in the morning.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Silv3r_f0x Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, today is day 1 for me. I am anxious to be healthier and lose some weight. I'm part of a group on facebook "keto-adaption" and they have been really helpful and supportive. So far what I don't like about MFP is the carb. gram option was only 15 or 30g. I personally want to stay at 20g, is there a better app to stay on track?
  • steffb503
    steffb503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hoping someone can help. I have been doing Keto since Jan 15Th. I went over on carbs one day about halfway through. I lost an initial 8 lbs and a few inches across the board. But then nothing. What am I doing wrong? Not giving it enough time?
    I really find it simple to keep carbs between 20-30 grams a day.
    Trust me I have tried every thing this seems like the only plan I can actually stick with.
  • jamkelly10
    jamkelly10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go overboard on following Ketogenic diets. They may be ok for dropping weight quickly In the Short run but in the long term could cause you harm. If you consume virtually no carbs I.e no glucose your body will make glucose because it needs it. It does this by a process known as gluconeogenisis whereby the proteins are converted into glucose to support your energy demands. If you want to loose weight, just reduce your pro, carb and fat levels and it shouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely you will live the rest of your life avoiding carbs, so enjoy them in moderation.
    Also glucose from carbs not protein or fat is the superior fuel source for the brain.
  • shionmfp
    shionmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    steffb503 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help. I have been doing Keto since Jan 15Th. I went over on carbs one day about halfway through. I lost an initial 8 lbs and a few inches across the board. But then nothing. What am I doing wrong? Not giving it enough time?
    Trust me I have tried every thing this seems like the only plan I can actually stick with.

I have the same problem. I already lost 10 lbs before keto and 10 more after I started. I haven't lost weight after losing 20 lbs total but I'm hoping to lose 20 more.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been going at it since January. I've lost 8-9 lbs so far and my goal weight is about 18lbs away. I'm also training for a triathlon and I sometimes do two-a-days to get some weight training in as well. I absolutely love this way of eating. It has given me more energy than I ever though possible and I've learned so much about myself and the human body and what I'm capable just in a little short of 2 months. It's incredible.
    Also, there's a site called TamperMonkey for Chrome that after you download it, MFP will track net carbs for you if you want it. I personally count both net and actual. I have the premium now where you can track any percentage you want on MFP. I was at 5% carbs (20grams), 20-25% protein (around 100 grams) and 70-75% fat (around 130 grams). I used a KETO Calculator (GOOGLE) to let me know what percentages would work best for my height, activity level and weight. PS, I'm 6'0" tall so what works for me may not work for you but you can definitely add me and view my diary for input if you like.

Good Luck!!

-Rach
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    shionmfp wrote: »

I have the same problem. I already lost 10 lbs before keto and 10 more after I started. I haven't lost weight after losing 20 lbs total but I'm hoping to lose 20 more.

DON'T GIVE UP. It's only been a month!!!!!!!!!!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't follow purely Ketogenic but I am learning to cut my carbs down to less than 20% daily. I am learning a lot of wonderful stuff. Add me as a friend and we can figure this out together!
  • steffb503
    Options
    How do I add you as a friend!
  • steffb503
    Options
    shionmfp wrote: »

DON'T GIVE UP. It's only been a month!!!!!!!!!!

So are saying to just give it more time?
  • cdlee1010
    cdlee1010 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks in to a 5 week keto plan. It's been awesome so far, I'd say around day 4 is when I kicked the carb cravings. After 5 weeks i'll see how I look and feel and either repeat another 5 weeks or slowly work into a Paleo type plan.