The number one killer of ALL diets - Complacency

Options
2»

Replies

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I maintained for a year, year and a half. I was planning a wedding and that took up a lot of my time, and I didn't want to fight with it at the time, and I had been losing for two years, I'd lost 30% of my original body weight, I mean, it was okay to cut myself some slack and enjoy myself. I only gained 5 pounds, and only because of the holidays, and I've already lost it and then some, starting in January toward loss again. I only have 10 pounds left to my original goal! But when you get so close, it's slow going, and I don't regret at all taking that break to let myself chill and just enjoy all the progress I'd made.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying your new body as it is. Take a break! Eat at maintenance, enjoy yourself, regroup. You'll know when you're ready to go at it again!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've actually had a real easy time maintaining over the last couple of months and I'm very comfortable with how much I'm eating. Maybe I'll take up some exercise program to burn some extra calories and lose a little bit that way. Even if I only lose a couple of pounds a month by Xmas time I'd be down by another 20 pounds. Maybe working on building muscle and getting into better shape will help motivate me.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,451 Member
    Options
    I needed to find this thread and have bookmarked it. I started at 219 and have been bouncing around the 200 mark, sometimes under for a bit,then right back to 200. I have managed to hold it there, but I have a long way to go for my goal. I have the complacent bit down to a science right now and am having a hard time motivating myself back into gear. I am starting to come around a bit, but it is tough. I hope to lose at least another 20 this year. If it takes losing just 20 a year, then so be it. I knew this would not be a fast loss, it will take me years to get where I want to be.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This is so me. About 24 lbs down with 16 to go, and there's this little voice going 'you look fine, you're well into a healthy BMI, you can run for 40 minutes, it's not worth the effort of losing more'. I've been doing this for almost a year and logging is becoming a chore! I need to remind myself that I might look 'fine', but I have the potential to look even better. Do I want to wear summer dresses that I haven't worn for seven years? Yes, and I want to wear them this summer. I need to focus on that.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Good timing, thanks for posting.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I've actually had a real easy time maintaining over the last couple of months and I'm very comfortable with how much I'm eating. Maybe I'll take up some exercise program to burn some extra calories and lose a little bit that way. Even if I only lose a couple of pounds a month by Xmas time I'd be down by another 20 pounds. Maybe working on building muscle and getting into better shape will help motivate me.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I think it's time to take your main focus off of the number on the scale and onto what your body is capable of now. Find new activities and set fitness related goals. That is the #1 thing that helps me with maintenance. Good luck! Be adventurous and think outside the box.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Our goal weights are rather arbitrary. I think it's fine to say "I like where I am now"

+1. Nothing wrong with revisiting your lower goal weight at a later date if your opinion changes.

Make it +2. ☺
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am only half way to my goal but I have always said my goal is flexible. It all depends on how I feel when I get there. I'd like to be 140-160 but I'm not set on a specific weight just a healthy range. The deciding factor will be how I feel and how my clothes fit. I've always felt focusing on a number is not the best way to go about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Our goal weights are rather arbitrary. I think it's fine to say "I like where I am now"

I want to agree with this. And I do agree mostly. But, my road to being overweight comes from a lifetime of gradually liking myself at a higher weight. And it's what has kept me 10 lbs from my goal. Being really happy with yourself is a good thing but it can also hider progress.

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    wow... what an interesting thread. especially since so many folks are saying the same thing. i was 10, 20, 30lbs away from my goal and i decided too... i wonder if some of this is just the fear of reaching our goals. and no longer having that to focus on. i have lost 101lbs in a little over a year. i am 20 lbs away from goal. i am having the same thoughts as many others have mentioned. i am feeling very comfortable with where i am now. my clothes fit fine. i have tons of energy... maybe it's good enough... i posted last week about feeling a sense of loss as i approach my goal. now i am wondering if, for me at least, it is the loss of the goal itself that has me worried. maybe it is that and the anxiety about the unknown of having to deal with the new goal of maintaining.