COFFEE VS. TEA ?

Options
Day 1 of doing caffeine via Earl Grey Tea Vs. Coffee...
Word in the street is that coffee is keeping this pudge on my tummy regardless of the work I put in and the changes happening elsewhere!! Any experience with this issue, friends?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What street did you find that word on?
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No - in fact coffee usually tones down my tummy pudge.
  • adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Practical experience tells me there is not much difference. However, my Google research suggests that coffee is raising my Cortisol levels and thus make me fatter.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're putting in your coffee. Black coffee has next to no calories, something like 4 for an 8oz cup. So that's not keeping pudge anywhere. Now, if you load it up on sugar and cream, sure, if it's causing you to go over your daily calories.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    deskjobguy wrote: »
    Practical experience tells me there is not much difference. However, my Google research suggests that coffee is raising my Cortisol levels and thus make me fatter.

Interesting search results. Cortisol is a stress hormone - but I usually feel less stressed after a good dose cup. I wonder if that's a reaction that different people might experience differently.

(I'm also wondering if this is more about the 200 calories of additives some people put in their coffee than the actual coffee)
  • mbcieslak87
    Options
    deskjobguy wrote: »

Interesting search results. Cortisol is a stress hormone - but I usually feel less stressed after a good dose cup. I wonder if that's a reaction that different people might experience differently.

(I'm also wondering if this is more about the 200 calories of additives some people put in their coffee than the actual coffee)

Agree 100% - I drink mine black but if you're putting calories in, then those could be hurting you, or even sweet n low, or other cal free sweeteners have been known to cause bloat in some people. They don't bother me, but I know others have issues.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I never drink coffee and unfortunately have a belly.
  • adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ...but I usually feel less stressed after a good dose cup...

And that's one of my personal reasons for picking up a McDonalds Large Coffee each morning on my way to work. It really make me feel relaxed...however my trainer's been telling me that there's a difference between feeling stressed (mood) and being stressed (intestinal). I honestly love my coffee and never been a tea person. But my trainer's insistence is forcing me to research this and research sounds like it's on my trainers corner.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love coffee and i love my pudgy tummy
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not going to keep fat on your tummy or tone it (??). If you load the coffee up with sugar or cream or syrups or other things with calories then those calories will affect you the same as any other calories (hint: the same is true of tea).

Without calorie laden additives both coffee and tea are great diet drinks, if you enjoy them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    plain coffee would not keep pudge.
    drink what you want to drink.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The "danger" of coffee is actually in things you add in, like sugar and cream. Black coffee on it's own is same as tea, has 1 calorie. But when you add in lots of sugar, cream, milk or whatever you like it can go up over 200 kcal per cup. Same goes for tea, if you add lots of honey or sugar in, it loses the benefits.
    I personally drink tea mostly, but when I do drink coffee I just like it black with no sugar and a tablespoon of milk.
    Drink what you like more, just be careful of what you add inside.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you're talking black coffee vs. plain tea, there should be no difference.

Now if you're talking a venti caramel frappe from Starbucks vs. a plain hot tea, you've got a big caloric difference.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd walk down a different street. I'm keeping my coffee habit.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I put cream and sugar in my coffee and drink my tea unsweetened so for me there would be a difference. If you add cream and sugar to both or don't add anything to either then the only difference is that coffee usually has more caffeine than tea.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    avam0129 wrote: »
    Day 1 of doing caffeine via Earl Grey Tea Vs. Coffee...
    Word in the street is that coffee is keeping this pudge on my tummy regardless of the work I put in and the changes happening elsewhere!! Any experience with this issue, friends?

Unless you are adding a lot of sweeteners/creamers to your coffee, that would be inaccurate.
  • mbcieslak87
    Options
    After looking this up on google - so handy dandy - every article I have found that suggests coffee leads to stomach fat is some get-skinny fast scheme or some new, fantastic diet... however the peer reviewed evidence points to major benefits in coffee, and while it doesn't specifically point to weight loss often, it does seem to have wonderful affects on your circulatory system. Plus I have flat abs and love coffee....so i tend to believe demonizing specific foods (or drinks) is silly
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you're talking black coffee vs. plain tea, there should be no difference.

Now if you're talking a venti caramel frappe from Starbucks vs. a plain hot tea, you've got a big caloric difference.

Yes, its unbelievable how much sugar Starbuck puts in these things. Like the Chai Latte, just nasty!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea can be low-calorie sources of potassium. :smile:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm a tea person by nature. I can't stand the taste of coffee, but I don't see what the real difference between the two is besides taste and caffeine.