Anyone else on here taking topiramate?

Options
So I've recently started taking Trokendi XR for migraines, the time released version of topiramate (100 mg) and I've had extreme weight loss, over 20 lbs within a 2 week span and I have not changed my diet at all or been working out. Has anyone else taken this drug, or is currently taking this drug and experienced the same thing? Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight from this?

Replies

• Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a brief amount of time for migraines as well. I lost weight but not nearly as much, probably 5 pounds or so almost immediately. I actually had some really bad side effects that weren't worth it( loss of feeling in fingers and a definite brain fog) so I am not longer on it and only took it for about 2 months.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    If you don't get many responses here, check out these other threads I found using the Search function: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=topiramate&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
  • Aliciab1217
    Aliciab1217 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lindsay375 wrote: »
    I was on it for a brief amount of time for migraines as well. I lost weight but not nearly as much, probably 5 pounds or so almost immediately. I actually had some really bad side effects that weren't worth it( loss of feeling in fingers and a definite brain fog) so I am not longer on it and only took it for about 2 months.

Yeah, I have the loss of sensation and brain fog, but it's been getting better. I'd rather the side effect than the migraines at this point though because mine are pretty severe and this has been helping a lot.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a while but didn't notice any weight loss. Then went onto Pizotifen which is notorious for making people gain weight! Technically neither of them actually cause you to gain or lose - they just make you more or less hungry. The effects wear off after a while. Hope it works for you!
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was on it for maybe a month or so...i was having respitory infection and numbness of feet and started having blurry vision which coil be a sign of going blind so i stopped using it. I didn't lose any weight which is what i was put on it for but i may have had i upped the dosage and state on it longer.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I took it for a while and had about 10lbs weight loss as well. I ended up coming off it because it made me stupid and tired. There's a reason they "jokingly" refer to it as a supermodel drug - it tends to make people skinny but "stupid" because of slowed thinking and tiredness.

I ended up going on to Calan 240mg daily - a calcium channel blocker as a migraine preventative instead. My neurologist said they usually utilize it in African American populations with migraines because it tends to be more effective for African Americans than Caucasians, but the only other option he had for me was a beta blocker which can worsen depression and my shrink wasn't up for that!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I took it a couple of years ago for four months to control seizures. I lost 30 lbs the first month, and kept on losing while I was on it. I lost 50 lbs total. It killed my appetite, and made everything taste bad to me. When I stopped taking it I gained 15 lbs back in a three month time span. Be careful with this medication as it has some nasty side effects. If you haven't looked at the potential side effects, take some time to do so. Make sure you drink plenty of water with it.