40s and Falling Apart

Options
Just wondering if I am the only person in their 40's who has let themselves go to pot! I'm 46 and just doing a 15 Minute Leslie Sansone Walking video makes my left hip and leg hurt, but I push through. My labwork is a mess, I'm on 2 cholesterol pills, 2 blood pressure pills and an acid reducer for reflux. I generally feel unwell and it's a chore to drag out of bed. I've been exercising for a week and I'm starting to notice better sleep and the workout is getting a little easier. I'm at my heaviest (206# on a 5'3" frame). I'd like to see 150 again! I'm on day #3 of tracking using MFP. I did MFP 2 years ago and lost 10# over 3 months. It's always a slow go for me. Just wondering if there are others like me out there who feel like they're falling apart and it's time to do something (anything!) about it. Please add me if you see yourself in the above paragraph. LOL

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you're a step ahead of where I was 2 years ago because at least you realise

took me losing 53lbs and getting fit and strong to realise that my asthma, exhaustion, slightly raised cholesterol, ennui, niggling health issues, acid reflux, suspected sliding hiatal hernia generally feeling old and knackered was all brought on by being an overweight couch potato

and if this overweight couch potato can do it

so can you :smile:

• Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with rabbitjb. I wish I would have taken a good look at myself in my 40's and realized I needed to get off the couch and do something. But the good thing is I have realized and I am now on the right path. Good luck to you on your journey. Strive for progress, not perfection!
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You sure are ahead of the curve- only 206 you will be in wonderland really soon!!

I am still in my 30's but I started worst than you at over 245 and only 5'4".
    I too started with Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds videos. I remember doing her 3 mile video would make me sweat, hike up my heart rate and leave me sore. Now every now and then I bust it out for fun and run in place instead of the walk. Yep- time and persistence will do it. I am getting close to 150 lbs and I can't wait!

You can do it!
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 also and I am in the worst shape of my life. I've been here before and lost 15 or so lbs, but after I got married, I started slacking and gained it back plus 20 more. This is my 10th day back and I am very excited about this journey. Sending a friend request right now. We can do this.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Well.....age-wise I've got you all beat. I started back on the road to health at 63 and at almost 66 now, I've done it.

Keep logging, keep increasing your exercise as you're able, improve the nutrients you eat by watching your macros and just keep going. If you can add some strength training or weight lifting in you'll be much happier and healthier in the long run as well.

I've lost 66 lbs with only a few more to go and I'm off all prescriptions and I'm healthier and stronger than I was in my 40's.

If I can do it you can! Persistence pays off!
  • fourterrys
    fourterrys Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. 5"5". Started MFP 3/1/15 at 245 lbs. I also was on 2 BP meds, started getting bad lab reports. And like you- realized I need to do something about it. I started by walking also. Doing 1 mile was about all I could do. Now almost 1 year later, I'm down over 50 lbs and walking 4-5miles 3-4/week. And if I don't get out that much I miss it! Also recently had a dr appt. I'm off of one of my BP meds and FABULOUS numbers for my bloodwork! All this thru logging my food, staying near calorie goal (most days :)) and walking. You can do this! It's a slow steady process- don't get discouraged if you don't lose quickly or even at all for a couple weeks. If you keep with it, the weight WILL come off and you Will get healthier!
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I posted this. Thanks for all the friend requests and wonderful comments. Just what I needed to hear. I am a nurse and I do realize this will take some time. I also know I'm cutting my time on this earth short if I don't start working on my issues. I look forward to succeeding right alongside you all.
  • getty123
    getty123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Wannabmarathoner Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yep, I totally get it. I'm 43 and this year is where I feel I'm totally falling apart. My eyes are bad, my circulation is bad, etc and I'm in a constant state of worry. My only hope is that jumping on a health kick will help me physically and mentally.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I will be 41 next month. I joined MFP 5 years ago and lost 50 lbs. Sad to say last year I completely got off track with some things I was dealing with and gained it all back and some. I am finally back on the right track with my eating. Trying to get my workouts in and hoping to get this weight off and my blood pressure down again so I don't need to 2 pills I'm prescribed. I know one thing, my body does not react like it did 5 yrs ago but I won't give up.
  • ddoud71
    ddoud71 Posts: 2,741 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I've never felt better than I do know at 45. Stronger than I've been in years
  • ArtthurCarlson
    ArtthurCarlson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Together, we can do this. :)
  • heygurl711
    heygurl711 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I see that this intro was few months ago....how are you doing?
  • bfburman
    bfburman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Without MFP, I could not have accomplished what I have been able to. I have never been in such great shape.
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a little late to the party...and past 40... I have fallen off the wagon many a time, and I have just been given my first prescription for cholesterol pills - looking to do this together with you all! Friend request on it's way...
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You can turn it around. I'm 50 and in better shape now than when I was 25. Been on MFP for almost 3 years, log all of my food, exercise daily. No time like the present!
  • Latucker21
    Latucker21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I just turned 49 and while I've had to work at keeping my weight healthy all my adult life, these past 3-4 years have really kicked my butt. I'm back on track and am inspired by your post and all the positive comments. I can do this. You can too!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    scooterjen wrote: »
    Just wondering if I am the only person in their 40's who has let themselves go to pot! I'm 46 and just doing a 15 Minute Leslie Sansone Walking video makes my left hip and leg hurt, but I push through. My labwork is a mess, I'm on 2 cholesterol pills, 2 blood pressure pills and an acid reducer for reflux. I generally feel unwell and it's a chore to drag out of bed. I've been exercising for a week and I'm starting to notice better sleep and the workout is getting a little easier. I'm at my heaviest (206# on a 5'3" frame). I'd like to see 150 again! I'm on day #3 of tracking using MFP. I did MFP 2 years ago and lost 10# over 3 months. It's always a slow go for me. Just wondering if there are others like me out there who feel like they're falling apart and it's time to do something (anything!) about it. Please add me if you see yourself in the above paragraph. LOL
    This was me 2 years ago. With the help of My Fitness Pal and a strict diet, I lost 36 lbs and no longer take cholesterol pills nor do I take blood pressure pills nor do I take Zantac.

• iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm 49 and I know what you mean. And, I've realized how now, it's more important than ever, to just live a healthy life. To eat fresh, nonprocessed foods. To be as active as possible, but to listen to my body.

I live in New Hampshire, and love to hike. A few years ago I jumped off a rock and realized that I was 'losing my shock absorbers'. Now I don't jump off every log and rock (boulder), sometimes I climb down instead. I don't push myself like I used to. I would rather do lighter activity than hurt myself and not be able to do any activity.

ps-I don't take any medications.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and was in a very bad place only 3 years ago. You can read my story here. Hopefully it might give you some inspiration :-) http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10400122/my-success-story-180lb-lost-3-years-on-and-still-going-strong-with-a-few-before-and-after-pictures#latest