Investing in a Trainer

Although many say it is not necessary, I went yesterday to a trainer (who happens to be one of my good friend's mothers) and had a trial session. She evaluated my nutrition and found that I need to up my protein significantly (at least 114 grams) and decrease my sugar intake (to 25-40 grams). We worked out for a half hour, with a 10-minute warm-up and she told me areas where my work out was lacking or could be made more efficient (HIT cardio vs. distance running, etc.) I ended up purchasing 10-sessions (which was an unwise financial decision...but, too late now) I feel like it is a good choice because she is 24-7 support and helps with not only the fitness aspect, but the nutrition aspect. She is willing to answer questions via text and phone call at any time throughout the day. It was a huge help and I was able to find out so much more to make my work outs more functional, increase energy and better improve my (what I thought was a "healthy") diet. Next time I visit, we are discussing supplements! I'm looking forward to that. Do you have a trainer? What are your opinions on trainers?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    I love my current trainer. She has a masters degree in her field, is a dietitian, and has years of experience. I've lost a lot with her.

That being said, I've also had a number of trainers who have really hurt me with bad training and did quite a bit of damage with poor nutritional advice.

Is your trainer a "dietitian"? If not, or if she says she's a "nutritionist", I'd be cautious. There's no reason to limit carbs to that extreme unless you have a medical necessity for such a diet. Any trainer should bring up calorie count before carb restriction. A lot of personal trainers will read fitness blogs and magazines for nutrition information - and this will be the extent of their education. If she's not a dietitian, I would seek advice on your diet from more reputable sources.

Additionally, no matter who it was, any trainer that tried to set me up with supplements (outside of a possible protein supplement and multivitamins) would raise major red flags. If the "supplements" she wants to talk to you about contain anything that promises to make you lose weight faster or control your appetite, I'd steer very clear. (This includes anything that may contain the words: green tea, ____ cleanse [fruit, juice, coffee, or anything else that "cleanses"], cranberry/raspberry ketones, Shakeology, Herbalife, Xantax, Hydroxycut, etc.) Please do thorough homework before taking anything.

Basically - trainers can be an excellent investment in time and money if you need help pushing through to the next level. However, if they aren't properly educated (as in an actual degree), don't have experience, or try and sell you supplements, they can really do you more harm than good.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I love my current trainer. She has a masters degree in her field, is a dietitian, and has years of experience. I've lost a lot with her.

That being said, I've also had a number of trainers who have really hurt me with bad training and did quite a bit of damage with poor nutritional advice.

Is your trainer a "dietitian"? If not, or if she says she's a "nutritionist", I'd be cautious. There's no reason to limit carbs to that extreme unless you have a medical necessity for such a diet. Any trainer should bring up calorie count before carb restriction. A lot of personal trainers will read fitness blogs and magazines for nutrition information - and this will be the extent of their education. If she's not a dietitian, I would seek advice on your diet from more reputable sources.

Additionally, no matter who it was, any trainer that tried to set me up with supplements (outside of a possible protein supplement and multivitamins) would raise major red flags. If the "supplements" she wants to talk to you about contain anything that promises to make you lose weight faster or control your appetite, I'd steer very clear. (This includes anything that may contain the words: green tea, ____ cleanse [fruit, juice, coffee, or anything else that "cleanses"], cranberry/raspberry ketones, Shakeology, Herbalife, Xantax, Hydroxycut, etc.) Please do thorough homework before taking anything.

Basically - trainers can be an excellent investment in time and money if you need help pushing through to the next level. However, if they aren't properly educated (as in an actual degree), don't have experience, or try and sell you supplements, they can really do you more harm than good.

She was suggesting multi-vitamins and a better protein powder. I currently use Arbonne and she was explaining that is is a lot of sugar for an average amount of protein. She suggested a natural whey protein from GNC. Also mentioned taking amino acids. As for the carb cutting - she said carbs can stay at 155 grams, but by cutting sugars you are automatically cutting carbs?
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    I have personally found it to be a worthwhile investment. I occasionally pay for training sessions. I started paying a trainer in 2014 and she taught be everything I know about lifting. She moved me away from constant cardio into heaving lifting. This has been very beneficial and changed my entire workout routine. She also challenged me daily and pushed me MUCH further than I could have ever pushed myself. She taught me a lot about form as well. I no longer pay a trainer and I work out on my own. Now, the cons...She's human and no one is perfect. She sells Advocare but NEVER pushed me on it -only shared it with me. I also felt like when I wasn't progressing as fast as her other clients, she inadvertently made me feel bad about it. Otherwise, she has a lot of potential and is a smart young woman with a lot of potential. Bottom line - worth every dime! Who knows what I would have spent that money on anyway :)
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    I go 2x a week to a bare-bones gym run by a retired Big 10 track coach. It's lifting--free weights, machines, resistance bands--whatever he says and however many he says. He's not that interested in nutrition, but he sure has improved my strength in the last 6 months, and I'm a postmenopausal 62 with an artificial shoulder. Bottom line is I wouldn't have done ANY of this without the accountability. Next step is getting the layer of fat off me so I can see my new muscles. Wish me luck!
  • VegFit72
    VegFit72 Posts: 35 Member
    Just curious, what was the trainer fee? I ask simply because I'm a trainer but have always worked for a wellness center but have recently thought about offering training services on the side. I know rates will vary according to location as well. But just getting an idea of fees.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Just curious, what was the trainer fee? I ask simply because I'm a trainer but have always worked for a wellness center but have recently thought about offering training services on the side. I know rates will vary according to location as well. But just getting an idea of fees.

$35 x session!
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    My trainer charges $25/hr for 8 sessions a month, no contract. It's a small group situation, tho...most days there are 3-5 other people. Occasionally I wait a bit, but I find it interesting to see how he runs everyone while we're all doing something different. Cool to be in the gym with people ranging from Division 1 and semi-pro athletes to people even older than me.