My soup healthy or not?

Options
I'm not sure if I'm making a good food choice or not.

It's boiled cauliflower,onion, garlic, and spices (usually one head) I boil it until it's soft and most of the water is gone then I add a small carton of Heavy Cream (45 cal per tablespoon) in there then I blender it in the blender.

I'm a making a heavy calorie bowl of soup for lunch? Cuz this is something I love eating.

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use the recipe builder to show you how many calories it is, so that you can make the decision on whether or not it fits into your goals for the day?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day? Do you like it? Do you have any adverse reactions after eating it?

It sounds like a tasty soup to me, but "healthy" is determined by how you feel and how it fits in your goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimyrachel wrote: »
    I sounds delicious! but if you take out the heavy cream, it will be even better. :)

Without the heavy cream, this would be a fat-free soup. Depending on what else OP is eating, she may need the fat to meet her nutritional requirements. And the fat will promote satiety much more than a blend of vegetables.

• MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The heavy cream is a little high in calories, but the cauliflower is very low. If it fits within your calories and your macros and you like it, you should enjoy it! If anything, you could look into using less heavy cream or using a different dairy product.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    fearluna wrote: »

It's boiled cauliflower,onion, garlic, and spices (usually one head) I boil it until it's soft and most of the water is gone then I add a small carton of Heavy Cream (45 cal per tablespoon) in there then I blender it in the blender.

I'm a making a heavy calorie bowl of soup for lunch? Cuz this is something I love eating.

You can enter your exact measurements into the recipe builder and it will give you the macros x serving!
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Are you using the cream for just one bowl? If so then yes, it's definitely a heavy calorie meal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I sounds delicious! but if you take out the heavy cream, it will be even better. :)

Without the heavy cream, this would be a fat-free soup. Depending on what else OP is eating, she may need the fat to meet her nutritional requirements. And the fat will promote satiety much more than a blend of vegetables.

I just don;t think heavy cream is the good source of fat. You can definitely get a good quality fat from avocados, nuts, coconut oil etc

Heavy cream is a great source of fat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I just don;t think heavy cream is the good source of fat. You can definitely get a good quality fat from avocados, nuts, coconut oil etc

I understand you think that fat from dairy should be avoided, but that isn't something that people agree on across the board.

We aren't sure what OP means by healthy or what kind of plan she is trying to follow. If you're trying to eliminate fat from dairy and that is your definition of healthy, yeah. This soup wouldn't meet those requirements. But not everyone is on that type of plan and not everyone defines "healthy" that way.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use the recipe builder to show you how many calories it is, so that you can make the decision on whether or not it fits into your goals for the day?

This. I think it sounds awful, but only because I hate cauliflower.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are the calories and macros? If they fit into your day/week then it's good to eat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder and figure out the calories. If it fits your goals it is fine.
    If you want to make it lower calorie use less heavy cream or substitute lower fat milk.
  • fearluna
    fearluna Posts: 61 Member
    Options

You can enter your exact measurements into the recipe builder and it will give you the macros x serving!

Oh I didn't know I could do that! I will have to try this recipe builder! Thank you guys!!
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I make something similar with a couple table spoons of coconut milk (no heavy cream) vegetable broth and I consider it healthy. I'm not sure how many calories are in carton but using a lot of heavy cream will increase the calories or your soup. The soup has healthy elements but may be high in calories. It's great you are using whole vegetables as they are not only low calorie bit nutrient dense, but you can certainly make some adjustments to make it lower in calories while maintaining the nutrients
  • fearluna
    Options
    Yea I'm not sure if I'm doing the recipe thing right. Like it says it's 800 calories. But I'm not eating the whole pot of soup at once, just a cup.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm not sure if I'm doing the recipe thing right. Like it says it's 800 calories. But I'm not eating the whole pot of soup at once, just a cup.

You need to say how many servings the whole pot makes
  • janejellyroll
    Options

How many cups does it make? Put that number in the recipe builder where it asks for servings. That will tell you how many calories are in a cup.
  • fearluna
    Options

How many cups does it make? Put that number in the recipe builder where it asks for servings. That will tell you how many calories are in a cup.

Oh ok I've been putting in one, like um it's serving one person. Lol

• phildog49
    phildog49 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try diluting the cream
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I make a similar soup but I use half cream and half chicken stock. The soup is still delicious that way if you find it ends up being more calories that you expected once you enter it in the recipe builder.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Oh ok I've been putting in one, like um it's serving one person. Lol

Just figure out how much you want to make a serving -- for example 1 cup -- measure it out and count how many servings it makes.