How often do you machine wash your chest strap?

Options
I got the Polar FT4F HRM last week and I LOVE it!!

The instructions say to rinse off the electrodes in your chest strap after each use. I have been doing this well and sometimes use a little mild soap to wash it with my hands (it says you can do this too).

It also says to machine wash your strap after every 5th use.

If I am rinsing it appropriately and even using a little bit of soap, do I really have to machine wash that often? How often do you machine wash yours?

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too, I'm going to order one on wednesday, I'm so excited!
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've been doing exactly what you're doing. I wash it by hand. I think that should be okay.
  • mvsundberg
    Options
    Oh, wow! I feel gross. I've NEVER washed mine. :(
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhhh I should probably wash mine... I've been using it since March 5 days a week.... EWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Haha thanks for the reminder!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have found that it still needs machine washing about every two weeks or it starts to malfunction.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    DITTO!!!
    Oh, wow! I feel gross. I've NEVER washed mine. :(
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    probably depends a little on how much you're working out and at what intensity (and the old sweat factor). I generally wash mine every week (5-6 workouts). I just work in into Saturday laundry after long runs.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I feel gross, I've never washed mine. I've given it a good rinse once or twice...perhaps I should throw it in the washer!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have used mine for about 2 weeks and I just barely washed mine in the washer. I was so scared that it would ruin it! But I did it just like the instructions say, so we'll see. I also rinse it after every use.
  • caitlinsmum
    caitlinsmum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I rinse/handwash mine after every use and wash it in the washing machine once per week ...
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    wash it by hand too, I rinse if after every use but wash the actual strap every 5 days
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I will hand wash mine with woolite in the sink usually about once a week or every two weeks. I try to rinse it off after every workout too.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Does your strap come completely off the electrodes? I have the F6 and my elastic strap will detach completely from the electrode part. That part (the elastic strap) I might wash weekly (if I was able to work out much right now). But the electrode part I would just wipe down after each workout and you should be fine.

ETA: Not sure how comfortable I would feel putting the electrode part in the washer even if the directions told me to (don't remember reading that it could go in). I would just stick to putting the elastic strap in.....but that's just me.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    probably depends a little on how much you're working out and at what intensity (and the old sweat factor). I generally wash mine every week (5-6 workouts). I just work in into Saturday laundry after long runs.

This is exactly what I do. I rinse it after every workout, and throw it in the washer every weekend.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wash my strap about once a week or once every two weeks. Whenever my under armor clothes go in the wash, so does my strap.

Just remember to not use any fabric softener and don't throw it in the dryer.. plain detergent and a line dry is best for it!
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I will hand wash mine with woolite in the sink usually about once a week or every two weeks. I try to rinse it off after every workout too.

I like this option... I just want to do it by hand (I know it might not make sense but I find it easier plus I am scared my washer and detergent will hurt it!). I will go buy some woolite and try this out... how long have you been doing it this way and does your HRM still work?
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I workout pretty much every day & I throw mine in the washer every few days & rinse off after every workout...Otherwise I think it stinks & occasionally it won't read my heart rate. In fact, it's in the washer right now. I put it in a netted bag & throw it in w/ colors.

Edit to add, I've been doing this for a good year now.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't read all the directions when I got mine...I have the same one. I use it in the pool, so I rinse it thoroughly after each use. I didn't even realize we were supposed to wash them in the washing machine every 5th use. I have over 100 exercise sessions on my HRM and I have never laundered it, just rinsed it off. I guess when I do laundry today I will be throwing that in along with my clothes!! LOL! I am glad you posted this!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a zippered mesh bag and toss it in with my warm-water load every weekend. The manual definitely says to machine wash in warm water at least every five uses, so that's what I do. :-)