Cardio at home

Options
BrittanyJenAnn
BrittanyJenAnn Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a stay at home mom, with two kids 3 and under. My husband is at Army AIT and I have no one to watch the kids. Going to the gym isn't an option, even going for a run around the block isn't an option.
Any suggestions for good ways to do cardio in home? I've been briskly walking for 30 minutes or so in front of the TV, which works but I wonder if it's enough.
I considered running around my backyard during the kids nap time, but we have lots of cactus and I'm not all that graceful.
No gyms in my area have a daycare, and it's over $500 a month for the kids to go to regular daycare 3 days a week for a half day.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You could try some fitness video's. I do insanity and t25 they are both cardio intense.

I havn't set foot in a gym in years and have lost 50+ lbs over the lady year just at home.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Get a exercise bike off craigslist, thrift store....etc. I found one for $10 at a garage sale years ago and still works as good as it did the day I bought it. Anything that gets you moving is always good, but you're right 30 minutes walking in your living room isn't much in terms of exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like Walk At Home and Just Walk DVDs. Sort of like walking briskly in front of the TV.....more variety, you use your arms, do side steps, kicks, knee lifts.

Here are a few YouTube freebies (DVDs at your local library, Target, or Amazon): www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Step aerobics is more challenging: www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jenny+ford+step+youtube&view=detail&mid=3478C8ED3899B924E6F63478C8ED3899B924E6F6&FORM=VIRE2

Jessica Smith has lots of cardio options....kickboxing maybe?
    www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jessica+smith+kickboxing+youtube&view=detail&mid=99F50D7128BFD673B3B599F50D7128BFD673B3B5&FORM=VIRE2
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    when my kids were little, I would jump rope, run up and down the stairs, do sit ups, lots on tv and youtube
  • 94ditg
    94ditg Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I found this amazing workout program online (for free!): Darebee.com. I'm not much of a gym persona myself, and right now I'm in college, so I have to find time to squeeze in a work out. This website has great (and multiple) options for a workout and also offers mealplans. I find that the way they create workouts really help to motivate you and the workouts get progressively more intense. That helps getting you in betrer shape, but also not killing you in the first workout.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Take the kids to the playground and then participate. Kids will run circles around you... Great workout.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    HULA HOOPING! Everyone on this forum thinks I'm totally nuts when I say this, but at high intensity, hula hooping burns 7 cals x minute. Invest in a weighted hoop, and if you wanna get fun with it, learn some tricks! You'll tone your abs, your arms, even your legs all while doing cardio!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Youtube has many great videos to use and at all intensity levels.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Fitness videos are a great suggestion. Getting a piece of equipment might help too (just avoid Gazelles).

If you don't have downstairs neighbors you could also do jumping jacks, jump rope (no actual rope needed), and intermix those with burpies.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Workout video streaming:
    Fitness Blender
    DailyBurn (if you can afford it/ 12.95 a month)
    Youtube

Workout videos are also good option. I've used:
    X-TrainFit at Home (90 day fitness program....includes strength training as well as cardio)
    Rockin' Body (Beachbody DVD...it's dancing)
    Ruthless (a set of workouts that are 20 mins each, short but intense...set is around $20)
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (never actually finished because it's too repetitive for me)
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's (I have a couple of these actually...a 5 mile one, a 4 mile one, a 30 min one, etc)

When it's nice out, I walk my boys to the park. The closest is about 1 mile away and the furthest (their favorite) is almost 3 miles away. This year is going to be interesting though. My oldest is too big for the double stroller and probably too little to walk the 3 miles to the one park, play and then walk 3 miles home. We might try the closer one and see what happens.

I also walk circles around my house ( not out side, but living room to dining room to kitchen to living room ....) when I'm trying to squeeze in steps. My boys think its really silly and will either chase me or run from me.

I also use video games like Just Dance for cardio. I've used things like Wii Fit and Xbox Fitness in the past.

I have a family membership to the local YMCA now, but I still resort to my old stuff when I'm bored or when I can't make it to the gym for whatever reason.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I second home videos such as T25 or Insanity. I have completed both in the past and lost a good amount of weight. Very tough, but if you are up for the challenge you can get really great results.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This year is going to be interesting though. My oldest is too big for the double stroller and probably too little to walk the 3 miles to the one park, play and then walk 3 miles home. We might try the closer one and see what happens.
    Try a wagon? Kids like them and it will be extra exercise for you.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I will also chime in on videos. I love Rockin Body and I just started CIZE from Beachbody. You can take videos out from the library to figure out which types you like. I also have Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. You can get a lot accomplished in a short time with these videos.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Fitnessblender's workout challenge for busy people. It's 5 videos, 30 mins long each, combined cardio and strenght. They have a youtube channel, and everything is completely free. I would personally highly recommend it.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    when my kids were little, I would jump rope, run up and down the stairs, do sit ups, lots on tv and youtube

Excellent!!! Great ideas, except for the situps ;)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? Even just one flight of stairs?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I work out with Fitness Blender videos during my baby's naptime while my older two kids watch a TV show. Love, love, love Fitness blender! I've lost 80 pounds and I'm in awesome shape.
  • BrittanyJenAnn
    BrittanyJenAnn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have stairs. Perhaps if we get stationed in the states, I'll invest in a treadmill or other exercise equipment.
    I have several friends who are fitness minded so I'm going to ask if anyone has insanity- that looks like a challenge!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is awesome, if you aren't looking to spend a dime.
    Alot of series sold by Beachbody are pretty spot on: Insanity, P90/P90X, CLX, Turbo Jam, T25, Cize, Turbo Fire, Body Beast, etc. Insanity is probably in the top three, with P90X and Body Beast.
  • sarahhuntting15
    sarahhuntting15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like acacia.tv
    It's about $5/month, and it's got a lot of variety. You can search through the videos based on your fitness goals and the time you have available so there's always plenty of options and variety.