how much can I safely lose by then?

Options
So my sister is getting married! However the pain in the neck gave me less than a year to prepare! I have until August 27th of this year! I know I may not make my goal weight of 135-140 by then but is 160 or 170 reasonable to shoot for? Can I shoot for less? I really have no idea! lol I'm 235ish now and 5'7" OH! Also went on Amazon today and bought a set of resistance bands! When they get here I will start up using my EA Sports Active Wii game again :) the band it came with was ***** lol I originally went from 260 to 210 using just that and watching what I eat. Wish me luck! Im SO happy and excited for everything but still a bit annoyed I don't have more time haha

Replies

• rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
  • mslavery
    mslavery Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Usuaully they say you can lose about 2lbs a week, safely... without much muscle loss. so about 55lbs is reasonable if you lose 2lbs every single week. Sure you can lose more, or less but it all depends on how much youre eating.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Everyones different but I lost 40lbs in less than 5 months, and I lost another 10 within about 3 months without trying too hard. This was with. Slimming World, and did the EA sports active on a Wii fit and that was all the exercise I did. Good luck with it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    It's physically possible, but it is probably not attainable. Not in reality-land. You're talking about losing 70 lbs ~ish in a little less than 6 months. That's about 12lbs per month of loss, or 3lbs per week.

Most people who are not well into the obese category find they cannot reasonably lose more than a few lbs per week, if that, without engaging in dangerous and unhealthy starvation diets. Obviously this is a terrible idea.

Further, to do this you would have to eat less than 1200 calories, which MFP will not allow you to do (for health and safety), and even if you did do that (you shouldn't, it's a very very stupid thing to do) weight loss isn't linear. It's going to take time for you to get the logging accurate, the logging changes as you reduce weight (not the actual measuring, but the number of calories you can consume per day will likely drop).

And to top it all off, if you tried this, you would likely go a little nuts eating so little and fail altogether and gain it all back anyway. It's just not sustainable.

With a good sustainable caloric deficit, like 1lb per week, you could probably lose about 24 ~ish lbs by your sisters wedding. The beauty of which is that you'll be alive, healthy enough to actually attend, and you'll be able to continue losing weight because you won't have tried some ridiculous vlcd that will just make you hangry for two weeks before you fall off the wagon.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your sister's upcoming wedding!

You have roughly 6 months to lose the weight. If you shoot for losing 2 pounds a week you would be able to drop about 10 pounds each month. That would have you weighing 175 by the wedding. The good news is that you're likely to drop more than 10 lbs the first month simply due to shedding water weight. Weight comes off faster when you are first starting out. Depending on your activity levels and daily goals, you could very well hit 160-175 by August.

I think your goal is realistic, and that you have a good shot of making it with effort and discipline. Good luck!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »
    Congratulations on your sister's upcoming wedding!

You have roughly 6 months to lose the weight. If you shoot for losing 2 pounds a week you would be able to drop about 10 pounds each month. That would have you weighing 175 by the wedding. The good news is that you're likely to drop more than 10 lbs the first month simply due to shedding water weight. Weight comes off faster when you are first starting out. Depending on your activity levels and daily goals, you could very well hit 160-175 by August.

I think your goal is realistic, and that you have a good shot of making it with effort and discipline. Good luck!

A goal that would require her to eat below safe medical guidelines is hardly realistic. And she'd have to lose 3lbs per week to attain her goal weight by Aug 27. And the unfortunate thing about water weight is that it comes back, once a month, with Aunt flo, and again when you switch to maintenance due to glycogen stores replenishing themselves.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options

A goal that would require her to eat below safe medical guidelines is hardly realistic. And she'd have to lose 3lbs per week to attain her goal weight by Aug 27. And the unfortunate thing about water weight is that it comes back, once a month, with Aunt flo, and again when you switch to maintenance due to glycogen stores replenishing themselves.

She's starting out a a higher weight, and can realistically lose 2 pounds a week while still staying within medical guidelines. Starting at 235 and wanting to lose 10 pounds a month is a lot different than starting at 145 and expecting to lose the same amount for six months.

6 months of losing 10 pounds a month would equal a loss of 60 lbs, putting her at 175, although she COULD possibly see a lower number depending on her activity level and diet. I started at 196 lbs at 5'3. I lost 16 pounds in my first month on 1200 calories a day. After that I still consistently lost 2 lbs a week on 1200 calories a day until I hit the lower 160s, and then I was averaging a 5 pound loss each month.

I did take 45 minute walks daily which added about 200 calories a day to the 1200 that MFP allotted me. I didn't beat myself to death in the gym, and I was rarely hungry. My bloodwork improved, my energy levels soared, and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I'm just pointing out it's possible, and not unsafe or outside the guidelines for healthy weight loss with her beginning stats.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    OH my I did not mean to start an argument! I have my diary set to 1500 calories which was their one pound a week number I believe. However I have only been eating around 1300 calories most days. I use a Polar ft4 to track my excersise calories. If I burn enough to knock myself under 1200 I make sure to eat back at least the amount to hit that. I have not been feeling deprived or hungry. If I do find I'm munching I try to find a low calorie snack like air popped popcorn and hot tea. I won't beat myself up if I don't hit those numbers before the wedding but I'd like to at least be under 200 pounds! I just was hoping for a good solid number to aim for so I can keep my goals in check and to help keep me motivated. Thanks for everyone's replies! Sigh I don't suppose any one knows where to find nylons that are anything BUY nylon? I'm HIGHLY allergic and she's looking at shorter style dresses lol!
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You have to think about what's a reasonable caloric deficit. I think getting down to 200 lbs would be more realistic, but nothing under 190 at least. The human body can get very resistant to weight loss after a while. Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR? If your TDEE is something like 2,100 and your BMR is 1700 (sorry just making up numbers on the spur), you should have a deficit of 400 calories. The numbers might not line up but the concept is still the same.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't lose more than 2 pounds a week or you could stretch your body from the quick weight loss.