Help me with calorie estimation? (Pic included)

Options
I know this is kind of stupid, but I'd like to be as accurate as possible when logging these nachos. These are something I treat myself with every once in a while, and while I'm not super uptight about it, there's a big difference between estimating something at 500 and 1000 calories. I found pictures of it on Yelp, kept the arms in for scale:

ePGBllz.jpg

Right now I'm estimating this:
On the Border Cantina Thins - 56 chips at 560 calories
Velveeta/Rotel Dip - .5 cups at 272 calories
Sour Cream - 1tbs at 30 cal
Tomato - .25 cups chopped at 8 cal
(Pic shows other things but that's all that's on mine.)

Total - 870 calories. That's fine, but if, say, I do Tostitos thins instead of On the Border, we can add 500 calories to the total. What would you do? I'm trying to call and ask if they have calorie listings for their food, but I can't imagine they would. They might at least tell me the chip brand though.

50 points to your Hogwarts house if you can help with the fries as well.

Replies

• firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of guestimating local restaurant food too. 860 sounds reasonable-ish, although the cheese is getting a bit of a side eye from me. Cheese generally is usually about 100-120 per tablespoon (there's 8 in half a cup, and a tablespoon is often roughly equivalent to an ounce for many brands).

I eat fries, I'll have to check my diary and see what I usually use for that. Are they just fries, or is there something on them (i.e., one place I go they're "truffle" fries with parmesan cheese on them).

I absolutely refuse to start patronizing chain restaurants just to have access to nutrition counts, when my city has so many wonderful local places, but the lack of data can be a little frustrating. Honestly what works for me is searching for, say "nachos with cheese tomato sour cream" and taking the middle ground or most common thing that comes up.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Wild guess here. 870 seems fair enough for the nachos. At least 500 for the fries. I'd log the fries at whatever serving size from McDs (or familar chain) it seems like to you.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have no clue but that ... looks amazing and now im hungry. So enjoy some of that for me lol
  • BootsDBA
    BootsDBA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of guestimating local restaurant food too. 860 sounds reasonable-ish, although the cheese is getting a bit of a side eye from me. Cheese generally is usually about 100-120 per tablespoon (there's 8 in half a cup, and a tablespoon is often roughly equivalent to an ounce for many brands).

I eat fries, I'll have to check my diary and see what I usually use for that. Are they just fries, or is there something on them (i.e., one place I go they're "truffle" fries with parmesan cheese on them).

I absolutely refuse to start patronizing chain restaurants just to have access to nutrition counts, when my city has so many wonderful local places, but the lack of data can be a little frustrating. Honestly what works for me is searching for, say "nachos with cheese tomato sour cream" and taking the middle ground or most common thing that comes up.

In person the cheese is pretty clearly Velveeta with Rotel in in, though I did not input Velveeta and Rotel, I picked an entry that was already mixed, so there may be an error there and you're right!

The fries I get with the queso mix (like above) on it. Not on the same day, haha.

Thanks for the help!