Am I at a healthy weight?

Options
I'm 5'3 and 145 pounds. I've been stuck here for a while (I think it may be because I'm on the pill). Is this an ok weight to stay at?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's more than I would want to weigh. But only you can decide if you're at the weight you want. It's on the "cusp" of over weight by BMI standards. How do you feel? How do you look to yourself?

If you've been "stuck", but want to lose more, maybe it's time to adjust your calories again?

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You're right on the normal/overweight threshold, but how do you feel? If you're stuck for a while, depending on how long, it's not because of the pill; you have to increase your calorie deficit.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and I'm 139 currently. I feel my best between 115 and 120 lbs. How do you feel? What are the lowest and highest weights you have been?
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't everything. How do you feel? How are your labs? Maybe you can take measurements and check your waist to hip ratio.

Personally, I'm 5'5 and my goal has always been 125. BUT once I got there I found it very hard to maintain, I'm pretty sure my body likes me a little heavier, and I'd rather be between 130-135 easily maintained than struggle at 125. It's ultimately up to you. :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Just the number on the scale isn't going to make or break your health. Many other factors come in, and you can be right on that cusp and be perfectly healthy.

Have you had recent bloodwork done? (Cholesterol and possibly A1C). Are you sedentary or somewhat active, including regular exercise? Do you have enough energy for your daily activities? Are you happy with how you look and feel?

I actually feel pretty good right at the top of the "normal" BMI, with body fat probably in the lower 20% range. Some people prefer the way they look and feel lower in that range (that's part of why it's fairly big range). So, whether you want/need to lose more weight or not is up to you and maybe your doctor. (And, as far as the pill, it can mess with your appetite and make it a bit harder to lose, but it's still all about CICO)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to be on the lower end of the healthy BMI range as it's where i feel and look my best.

I'm 5'3 and a 1/2 (gotta count that half inch!)
    I look and feel best around 113-116 pounds.

If you have to ask the question "is it okay" it sounds like you have doubts and don't feel it's your best weight. My opinion would be to lose until you feel the most comfortable and happy in your own skin. Also, just FYI- It's not your birth control.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I mean I feel great, and I think I look great. Here's a pic.
    dc7895.jpg
    Originally my goal was 130, so I'm just getting frustated I'm not reaching it. I'm still at a deficit, so I should be slowly losing still.
  • caratayloruk
    caratayloruk Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I'm the same height as you and my goal was 133 but now I'm reassessing that as I'm currently 150 and think if i lost another 17lb I'd look too thin as I've a large frame. I'm now thinking that between 140 and 145 may be where i look my best

As long as you are happy with your weight and how you look then there is no reason you can't stay where you are
  • ardenspark
    ardenspark Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think you look great!! Why don't you maintain for a bit and reassess whether you want to lose more later.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and am happiest and feel I look best between 126lbs - 133lbs. But like other people have said, it's what you think and feel that matters. I think you look great.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! I'm 5'3'' and 140, but I maintained at 145 for a year, and honestly if I never lose another pound, it'll be fine. It's easy sometimes, I think, to feel like other people's goals need to be your own, but remember that this is YOUR body and YOUR journey, and if you feel great, there's no reason to assume you're somehow doing it wrong.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Homestly you look great! And if you are happy it doesnt matter! You may have lots of muscle rather than fat and that weighs more :)
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and 190 so I always ask the same question. I got my waist from a 40 to a 36.5 though so I have been going by that. The doctor said anything over (for men) a 37 is considered risky. Maybe clothing size can help you figure it out? Just don't go overboard. Too many people I know went and made themselves skin and bones and are unhappier now than when they were a "normal" weight.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    This is a question only you can answer. I can't tell what kind of body composition you have due to the black dress covering up.
    If you feel firm, strong and smooth lined and YOU are happy then the chances are you are in good shape.
    If, however you feel lumpy and wobbly and uncomfortable in your clothes then I would cut some more fat.

You are still lovely though. Don't mind my candour, but it's good to get lots of opinions.
    I believe in lower body weights and fat percentages for health.
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You look good at your weight. I'm the same height as you, and my goal weight is 140. I've been lower, but it was never something I could maintain. That is the key, you don't want to live your life perpetually trying to lose weight. Maintaining is hard enough!

Honestly if I had to guess your weight from your picture/height, I would say 125, so I think your frame carries it well. Same with me, I look good/feel good at 140ish.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Technically, 145lbs at 5'3" is overweight. The normal BMI starts at 139lbs for that height.

What matters more is your body fat % and how you feel.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is a question only you can answer. I can't tell what kind of body composition you have due to the black dress covering up.
    If you feel firm, strong and smooth lined and YOU are happy then the chances are you are in good shape.
    If, however you feel lumpy and wobbly and uncomfortable in your clothes then I would cut some more fat.

You are still lovely though. Don't mind my candour, but it's good to get lots of opinions.
    I believe in lower body weights and fat percentages for health.

This is where I'd land on this subject. 145 at 5'4" was my highest weight and it was not a good weight on me because I'm pretty small-framed (my ribcage/underbust measurement is about 27", for example, and I have narrow shoulders and wrists too) and don't have a ton of muscle mass. I looked okay in clothes and most would probably not have called me overweight, but I was soft and definitely looked overfat in a swimsuit or without clothes.

I do a lot more exercise now, both cardio and strength, and sitting around 118 lbs looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing to me, especially without clothing. My body fat percentage is now into the athlete range as well, as well as I can estimate via calipers/visually (I've never had a DEXA or anything so take that with a grain of salt, though.)

I was "healthy" per my doctor at both weights but now I'm stronger, leaner, and feel like I look better now. I say all this, though, with the understanding that that might not be the case at all for someone with more muscle or a larger bone structure. The reason that the "healthy" BMI range exists is to account for people of different frames/musculature/etc., so for some people the low end might not be suitable.

Edited to add: Here are two shots of my heaviest weight vs my current one (apologies for the paint but it's the one with the least clothing I could find):
    At about 145lbs:
    xshaoj8400j1.jpg
    goi0xzqoq4sc.jpg

And at 118:
    t93qk7fsu9h4.jpg

I think you can tell I didn't carry the extra very well and that even at a relatively low weight I'm not really "skinny" (although the photo was also pre- much exercise so I think I look better-muscled now.)
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Stay where you are for awhile and gear up to lose more if you want, but maintaining here might be a worthwhile endeavor for now.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    My question for you would be...are you questioning further weight loss because you feel really good? Or because you feel tired of struggling to lose more weight?

I'd be more worried if it was the latter. You could always go on a maintenance break for a couple months and then try to lose again. But if you have been trying to lose and are at a plateau that could backfire, because probably something is off with your logging and if you just increase without addressing that you'll start to put weight back on.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    if i lost another 17lb I'd look too thin as I've a large frame.

You don't have a large frame.