Sleep Apnea

Options
For starters, I've tried several times to lose weight. I'd lose about 15-25 pounds, then stop. And eventually it would slowly go back up. I recently got a new doctor, and he thinks it's my sleep apnea that's keeping me from losing weight. I've had sleep apnea my whole life, obviously it's gotten worse the more weight I gain. But during hospital stays for various reasons, when I have oxygen, I lose weight.
Because I wake up 5-10 times a night, I miss Rem cycles, which makes me exhausted. My body holds onto the extra fat for energy, and I'm constantly hungry because my body thinks it needs more fuel for energy. I guess it makes sense, and they're setting me up with a sleep study to get a cpap. I'm hoping it works, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea that has improved greatly after losing weight. My apnea kept me exhausted (AHI of 87) which was one factor in me not being too active. But I don't blame it for my past obesity. If you have slept apnea and qualify for a cpap, get one and use it. It can be a life changer and I consider mine a lifesaver.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I also have sleep apnea. What i was told is being tired means your body needs more energy to function, thus your are more hungry, which makes it harder to sleep, and is a endless cycle. Since getting my CPAP machine it has been easier to cut back on calories, and I do get better sleep. Since I have lost 160 pounds my sleep apnea has gone from moderate to mild. I might ask for a retest in a year from my last test to see if i still even need my Cpap machine. At the end of the day to loose weight it is still burning more calories than you take in.
  • Thomaskerrya
    Thomaskerrya Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting guys. I have been in pain meds for a year and tried coming off the night ones, which led to sleep apnea. Happens to coincide with me starting my diet, which didn't work. I blamed it on stupid Oprah and her new WW system, but after reading your posts I am wondering if the apnea contributed to my stubborn fat! Incidentally, I gave up the cold turkey and am still on one codeine a night, sleeping reasonably well for me - only waking once or twice in pain - and the scales have started to move. I have quit also WW and moved to MFP. Hope you all find your way to good sleep and decent weight loss xxxx
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I had sleep apnea, in my first sleep study I was told I wasn't breathing for 29 minutes out of every hour and was given a CPAP machine as I left the next morning. That was 2006. I heard a lot of opinions from various doctors about how my weight was causing the apnea and vice versa, one went so far as to tell me that even if I lost weight he didn't think it would change anything and I would always need a CPAP. The horrible exhaustion that I had before getting the CPAP did get better once I was using the machine but I didn't seriously attempt to lose any weight until 2011. No answer for that apart from I don't know what the heck I was thinking. 5 years of needing a machine to keep me alive at night, making every excuse in regards to my weight and why I couldn't lose it.

Anyway, as it transpires, the apnea was treated with the CPAP and when I finally decided to get serious about weight loss I did lose weight. I followed Weight Watchers for 5 months, lost 23 kg (50 lbs) and the Sleep Apnea completely disappeared. So much for all the theory. I've now lost 70 kg (154 lbs) in total and I've been maintaining a few years. I don't even snore anymore.

I don't know if the untreated apnea contributed to my obesity, but from this side of the fence I can objectively look at my eating habits and lifestyle back then and say I doubt it. But that's wisdom from looking back, it certainly wasn't obvious to me when I was living it and still looking for excuses as to why I was fat. Interesting though.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea and have used a CPAP for 15 years. My mother had it and was never overweight but she was very careful about counting calories her whole life.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Stop using sleep apnea as an excuse. It's not "causing you to retain your weight" eating more calories than your body needs to function is making you gain or not lose.

Set an achievable weekly calorie deficit of 1% of your body weight
    Get a good scale
    Accurately weigh and count your calories
    Lose weight
    Feel better
    Possibly stop having sleep apnea

Anything else is just an excuse you tell yourself to justify not doing what's needed to lose weight.

Me: severe upper airway obstruction. Sleep apnea and choking/gasping myself awake. 70lbs down in 3 months... No more sleep apnea. Looking forward to seeing how I feel after losing 70 more!

For me, it was time to get real with myself and take ownership of my overeating and weight.

For you.... Well no one can "make you" start that journey yourself.
  • jmwilson85
    jmwilson85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about 18 months ago and have lost 178 pounds since being on a cpap machine. I have been overweight my whole life (im 37) and something finally clicked once i was on cpap. I had been on diets constantly with the same pattern: lose, struggle, give up and gain even more. The only way i can describe my diets without a cpap was "white knuckling it". Everything was hard about trying to be healthy and eat better. Now i know that sleep apnea slows you metabolism. Yes, i made horrible food choices too. Here is pattern of my life without cpap.

I overslept everyday, hitting snooze on the alarm so many times. Rush out of the house without breakfast or making a lunch. On the way into work i would get a huge sugary coffee. Lunch time would arrive and without food at breakfast, i would be starving and choose a horrible meal with usually lots of carbs. Then for dinner i would crave and eat more carbs. So exhausted from the lack of sleep i would go to bed early. I would sleep 12 or more hours a not feel rested. I actually never realized what rested felt like until figuring out the apnea. Exercise?...yeah right....too tired.

Now, my life with cpap. I wake up on time, Make breakfast, lunch and snacks. I spend so much less time sleeping inefficienly i exercise and feel more able to focus and make better food choices. Dont get me wrong - weight loss is still hard but so much easier than ever before in my life and i attribute my first-time ever success with the little mask on my face while sleeping.

If you snore, ask your doctor!
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here using a cpap machine found that the forced air has ruined their sense of smell and/or taste? My dad has started refusing to use his because of this and I'm just curious to see if anyone has any tips?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    For starters, I've tried several times to lose weight. I'd lose about 15-25 pounds, then stop. And eventually it would slowly go back up. I recently got a new doctor, and he thinks it's my sleep apnea that's keeping me from losing weight. I've had sleep apnea my whole life, obviously it's gotten worse the more weight I gain. But during hospital stays for various reasons, when I have oxygen, I lose weight.
    Because I wake up 5-10 times a night, I miss Rem cycles, which makes me exhausted. My body holds onto the extra fat for energy, and I'm constantly hungry because my body thinks it needs more fuel for energy. I guess it makes sense, and they're setting me up with a sleep study to get a cpap. I'm hoping it works, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar issue?

How do you know you've had sleep apnea your whole life?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Has anyone here using a cpap machine found that the forced air has ruined their sense of smell and/or taste? My dad has started refusing to use his because of this and I'm just curious to see if anyone has any tips?

If your dad's CPAP isn't humidified, that can help. Or a switch to nasal pillows or a full face mask (plus humidity) may help.
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A lot of misunderstanding about sleep apnea. The hallmark sign isn't snoring. It is EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness). There are two types of sleep apnea. Obstructive (OSA) and central.

Everyone who snores does not have it. Besides EDS, a neck circumference more than 17" for females or 19" for males indicates fat around neck and in throat which causes airway obstruction. Most obese people have OSA But also atheletes who bulk up muscle in neck (Shaquille O'Neal) have it.

And not everyone with OSA is overweight. A small airway can cause it. All my siblings inherited small airways so all either on CPAP or BiPAP. Some are overweight but my mother is now 91 and weighs barely 100 pounds but still on CPAP.

Does sleep apnea make it hard to lose weight? Not directly. The daytime sleepiness and lack of energy will cause overeating, especially high carb candy bars to give you a boost. Lack of energy to exercise will slow metabolism but most with untreated OSA will drink caffeinated drinks all day to try to stay awake. This cancels out any effect of OSA on metabolism. Untreated sleep apnea will cause you to toss and turn all night, waking you up constantly. You will actually be burning calories from your tossing and turning.

Dangers of untreated OSA are falling asleep at the wheel (long haul truck drivers especially), heart attack from stress on the heart, sudden cardiac arrest and stroke with possible death. Remember Barry White of GB Packers?

Losing weight may cure OSA for some but not all. You may have built up fat in upper palate and throat that doesn't go away once your weight returns to normal. But losing weight may decrease the CPAP pressures you need to contol it.

I don't think any doctor would agree that a person's inability to lose weight is caused by OSA. If you have it and use CPAP every night, it has no effect on weight gain/loss.

Central apnea is not related to obstruction. The brain "forgets" to tell you to breathe. Not usually associated with a person's weight and is treated with a ventilator assist device instead of CPAP. A person can also have a mix of the two types of sleep apnea.

So sleep apnea is a red herring when it comes to weight loss. It does not cause weight gain or trouble losing weight directly.

Many people claim they cannot sleep with CPAP and give up after just a week. It takes getting used to it. After a few months, you can't fall asleep with out it.

Some people experience an increase in nasal discharge and congestion. That will affect smelling and tasting. CPAP is always prescribed with humidifier for comfort now.

Ask your dad if he feels stuffed up and congested. A nasal allergy spray can help that.

But after years on CPAP forums I have learned that people do not like CPAP in the beginning and will find any excuse not to use it. Just like many finding an excuse for not dieting, exercising, or losing weight.

Tell your dad how important using his CPAP is for health and life. Not using it will cause premature death.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A lot of misunderstanding about sleep apnea. The hallmark sign isn't snoring. It is EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness). There are two types of sleep apnea. Obstructive (OSA) and central.

Everyone who snores does not have it. Besides EDS, a neck circumference more than 17" for females or 19" for males indicates fat around neck and in throat which causes airway obstruction. Most obese people have OSA But also atheletes who bulk up muscle in neck (Shaquille O'Neal) have it.

And not everyone with OSA is overweight. A small airway can cause it. All my siblings inherited small airways so all either on CPAP or BiPAP. Some are overweight but my mother is now 91 and weighs barely 100 pounds but still on CPAP.

Does sleep apnea make it hard to lose weight? Not directly. The daytime sleepiness and lack of energy will cause overeating, especially high carb candy bars to give you a boost. Lack of energy to exercise will slow metabolism but most with untreated OSA will drink caffeinated drinks all day to try to stay awake. This cancels out any effect of OSA on metabolism. Untreated sleep apnea will cause you to toss and turn all night, waking you up constantly. You will actually be burning calories from your tossing and turning.

Dangers of untreated OSA are falling asleep at the wheel (long haul truck drivers especially), heart attack from stress on the heart, sudden cardiac arrest and stroke with possible death. Remember Barry White of GB Packers?

Losing weight may cure OSA for some but not all. You may have built up fat in upper palate and throat that doesn't go away once your weight returns to normal. But losing weight may decrease the CPAP pressures you need to contol it.

I don't think any doctor would agree that a person's inability to lose weight is caused by OSA. If you have it and use CPAP every night, it has no effect on weight gain/loss.

Central apnea is not related to obstruction. The brain "forgets" to tell you to breathe. Not usually associated with a person's weight and is treated with a ventilator assist device instead of CPAP. A person can also have a mix of the two types of sleep apnea.

So sleep apnea is a red herring when it comes to weight loss. It does not cause weight gain or trouble losing weight directly.

Many people claim they cannot sleep with CPAP and give up after just a week. It takes getting used to it. After a few months, you can't fall asleep with out it.

Some people experience an increase in nasal discharge and congestion. That will affect smelling and tasting. CPAP is always prescribed with humidifier for comfort now.

Ask your dad if he feels stuffed up and congested. A nasal allergy spray can help that.

But after years on CPAP forums I have learned that people do not like CPAP in the beginning and will find any excuse not to use it. Just like many finding an excuse for not dieting, exercising, or losing weight.

Tell your dad how important using his CPAP is for health and life. Not using it will cause premature death.

Thanks. He's been told how important it is, he's just very stubborn. Impossible, really. I'm going to tell my mom what you suggested and what was suggested above. He had to send the chip from the machine into his doctor the other day and I'm hoping they call him in when they see he's not been using it. Thanks again, and I apologize for the slight derailment, OP.