2»

Replies

• Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Kelley0519 wrote: »
    I eat 4k/day and am still dropping weight. So a lot. Distance runner.

Have you ever tracked your calories? About how many are you burning per day? I'm trying to aim to be more of a distance runner, I actually enjoy running.

Yes. Yesterday was 4,003. But I don't really focus on it. I just eat as much as possible to fuel my running. The weight loss just happens. The days that I eat near 5k, I maintain. Unless I'm running 20milers. Which would burn around 2500cal.

WOW! Definitely inspiring....seems like I can burn as many calories as I want just as long as I'm eating back some.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I track my distance running. It can be anywhere from 400 calories for shorter runs and 1000 calories for longer runs. But what constitutes a long run for me, may not be a long run for others or vice versa.

That's awesome! Inspiring!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

Have you ever tracked your calories? About how many are you burning per day? I'm trying to aim to be more of a distance runner, I actually enjoy running.

Yes. Yesterday was 4,003. But I don't really focus on it. I just eat as much as possible to fuel my running. The weight loss just happens. The days that I eat near 5k, I maintain. Unless I'm running 20milers. Which would burn around 2500cal.

WOW! Definitely inspiring....seems like I can burn as many calories as I want just as long as I'm eating back some.

Pretty much. I would recommend having a "light" week every month or so. Just to give the body a break.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Between 400 and 700. I do weights twice a week, which doesn't burn much, but then BJJ 3-4 times a week. Some of those classes are quite relaxed, some are tourney prep and *really* take it out of me.
  • Kelley0519
    Options

Pretty much. I would recommend having a "light" week every month or so. Just to give the body a break.

Sounds reasonable to me, thanks!
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Between 400 and 700. I do weights twice a week, which doesn't burn much, but then BJJ 3-4 times a week. Some of those classes are quite relaxed, some are tourney prep and *really* take it out of me.

That's still a great calorie burn!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In a lifting session + cardio (45 minutes lifting, plus 20-ish minutes cardio) i'd say about 200? Difficult to tell. I know in the cardio i aim to burn atleast a hundred and then i back off.

I maintain around 1800 calories a day based on my non-exercise activity.

How are you tracking your calories burned? What activity are you doing to burn all these 400-1000 calories? What do you burn when you don't work out? What is your calorie intake like?

I track my calories burned by the exercise machine....for example, I would enter my weight and at the end, if the treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, ARC machine says I burned 525 calories....I would only enter 500 calories burned into MFP. I don't hand on to the sidings on the treadmill, I mostly run or walk on an incline. I can burned and easy 500 calories if I run 20 mins....including my warm up and cool down time. I do sets of light weight lifting, but I don't log these exercises, mostly because I wouldn't know what an accurate number. I normally eat around 1250-1350 calories per day if I got to the gym once a day. When I go twice, I try to eat around 1450 calories. I'm still learning so if I'm doing anything wrong, feel free to correct me. Thanks!

Yeah, this doesn't sound accurate.

Don't ever trust the machines at the gym, or MFP's estimate. Unless you are incredibly obese, a more realistic burn is 600-ish per HOUR of intense exercise.

In any case, as long as you aren't eating these back it shouldn't matter too much.

X1000

To burn 500 calories running, you'd have to be 200lbs and run 3 miles in 20 minutes which is very fast. You'd be winning age groups at smaller races at that pace.
    If you are over 200, the distance will drop a bit. At 250 you'd have to run 2.5 miles. That an 8 minute mile which is still a pretty good pace.

I run on an incline as well so that helps. Thanks.

It helps, yes. But the difficulty level is still the same.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hello all -

About how many calories are you burning on a daily basis? I work out once sometimes twice a day... I'm burning anywhere from 400-1000 calories per day. Also, how many calories burned a day is too many? That may seem like a silly question lol I want to up my calories burned per day but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks! ;)

I usually burn between 200 and 300. According to the app. However, I lift at a quicker pace and use heavier weights so I'm probably burning more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In winter weekly average is about 3,500 a week, in summer more usually 6,000-7,000.

Highest recorded in a day was 6,417 for a nine hour cycle with lots of hills but that estimate was by my Garmin which I don't find very accurate. "Only" ate 5,190 that day though. :smile:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    In a lifting session + cardio (45 minutes lifting, plus 20-ish minutes cardio) i'd say about 200? Difficult to tell. I know in the cardio i aim to burn atleast a hundred and then i back off.

I maintain around 1800 calories a day based on my non-exercise activity.

How are you tracking your calories burned? What activity are you doing to burn all these 400-1000 calories? What do you burn when you don't work out? What is your calorie intake like?

I track my calories burned by the exercise machine....for example, I would enter my weight and at the end, if the treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, ARC machine says I burned 525 calories....I would only enter 500 calories burned into MFP. I don't hand on to the sidings on the treadmill, I mostly run or walk on an incline. I can burned and easy 500 calories if I run 20 mins....including my warm up and cool down time. I do sets of light weight lifting, but I don't log these exercises, mostly because I wouldn't know what an accurate number. I normally eat around 1250-1350 calories per day if I got to the gym once a day. When I go twice, I try to eat around 1450 calories. I'm still learning so if I'm doing anything wrong, feel free to correct me. Thanks!

Yeah, this doesn't sound accurate.

Don't ever trust the machines at the gym, or MFP's estimate. Unless you are incredibly obese, a more realistic burn is 600-ish per HOUR of intense exercise.

In any case, as long as you aren't eating these back it shouldn't matter too much.

One size does not fit all.
    I can easily burn just about 1000 calories in 1 hour on my bike, averaging about 20 mph @ 170 lbs.
    I can also burn about 1000 calories in 1 hour running, just not as easily. Takes about 9 to 9.5 miles. It's rare. And yes, I do go top 10 at local races. Or top 500 at huge local races ;)
    Running, 0.63 KCal/mile/lb is what you burn ±1%.

Either way, definitely eat back those calories!

Most people max out at 10 calories/minute. Even athletes. An obese beginner is having to work harder and is hauling around extra weight. An athlete weighs a lot less but is able to work out more intensely than a beginner. So they both still max out at about 10 calories/minute.

I would be hesitant to use a calorie estimate that is much higher than 10 calories/minute. Maybe the poster above can run a 10k in 30-something minutes and therefore is running 12 miles in an hour? And somehow still weighs at least 150 lbs as well? Like I said, the obese or athletes. Even then, why overestimate? I'm trying to lose weight, would rather under-count my exercise than over-count it.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been burning anywhere from 400-1000 doing zumba. I wear a HRM and deflate its calorie burn by 10-15%. I'm still trying to figure out if/how much more I need to eat from exercising as obviously 1000 is quite a bit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    125-150 calories for 30 minutes seems to be current average.

It takes me about 3 hours of hiking (and being 30+ lbs heavier) to even come close to 900 calorie burns, so I'd question your calorie burns a bit.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Losing 2lbs / week at an average daily intake of 2900cals. This suggests I have a true defecit of ~1000cal/day. I don't know my Sedentary TDEE but calculators suggest it is around 2200 cal/day.

So if my maintenance is 3900 cal/day and my BMR is 2200/day, then i suppose I am burning 1700/day through exercise. About an hour of cardio each morning accounts for ~600 of that. 2-3 hours strength training or climbing in the evenings adds... 200-300 cals? And a 10-hour hike in the snow on saturday adds about 2000 calories / 7 = 285cal/day average extra burn. That only gets me to 1300 cals burned.

maybe the strength training burns more calories than I thought, but more likely is that my BMRR is somewhat higher than what the calculators say. If it's 2500-2600 instead then that means I'm burning about 1300/day. Or my 2lbs a week loss has some error and maybe i am only losing ~1.5 or 1.75lbs/week. or a pound of fat is not quite 3500 calories. or i am systematically over-counting something in my food log (but it's OK, because i am still meeting my weight loss goals)

There is no such thing as "too many calories burned" through exercise unless you aren't eating enough of them back. Any caloric defecit that is too large is unhealthy if sustained for a long term. ~1000cal defecit is about the maximum recommended, maybe 1500 if you are obese or very talented at dieting.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm over 10/min but not by a ton. My BS/something wrong alarm triggers at the 900+/hr line - especially on a bike.

1400 for 1:55 at moderate run pace a few days ago, 1250 in 90 mins for a race.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Most people max out at 10 calories/minute. Even athletes.

Source?
    Cause you burn about 5KCal per L of VO2. Using lab numbers, Chris Froome can burn almost 30 KCal a minute...
    VO2Max is 84.6, weighs 69.9kg, which means 5.9 L per minute. Needless to say, VERY few people can do that, but it's physically possible.
    At 70 kg, anyone with a VO2Max of 57 can burn 20 KCal in a minute. A 57 is strong, but only predicts to a 17:50 5k. Not world class by any stretch.

Michael Joyner at the Mayo Clinic says 15-20 cal/min is normal for an althlete.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hello all -

About how many calories are you burning on a daily basis? I work out once sometimes twice a day... I'm burning anywhere from 400-1000 calories per day. Also, how many calories burned a day is too many? That may seem like a silly question lol I want to up my calories burned per day but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks! ;)

@Kelley0519

Even assuming you can get exact calorie counts, I would define "too many" as when you can't properly eat and refuel for the rest of that days tasks, or for the next day. Though it's easy to over train in some forms of exercise, unless you put in a really long and hard exercise day the primary concern is the ability to deal with the next day. It's really fairly hard to overdo it on an overall scale, unless you don't eat enough for what you are doing and seriously deplete yourself. Even then, recovery can be fairly quick.

Below are a couple of ways you might nail down what is closer to correct for you in calorie burn.

runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

The chart at the bottom contains the source, which is a peer reviewed study and can be found on Google Scholar searches.

exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Another good one IMO, and if you do the math, will come out very close for walking and running to the link above. I would think that for the stair stepper as long as you enter in the incline correctly it should be close. Obviously different muscles will be used in the feet and lower legs, but you are essentially going up the same grade, steps or not.

Some machines are very accurate, others are not. Many of them calculate gross calorie burn, and since MFP already accounts for your RMR, the net calorie burn is usually preferred to use here.

Any exercise where you are supporting your weight is greatly influenced by your weight, since its' part of the mass x velocity math involved.

I would not say 400-1000 calories a day is difficult, and I don't consider myself any form of elite athlete. But only you know the specifics of your size and workout intensities.

It sounds like you are already using your weight as the feedback loop. Really what the numbers are don't matter if you do that to adjust your weight maintenance or loss goals. You could even do it without having numbers if you notice how your clothes fit.

Also as a general note, intensity for your size will dictate how taxing any workout type will be, and recovery of the same. I can go for hours at a slower pace, but feel more wiped out doing just a half hour or hour of higher intensity stuff. So even in terms of daily calorie burn, it's not all really the same.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    I'm over 10/min but not by a ton. My BS/something wrong alarm triggers at the 900+/hr line - especially on a bike.

1400 for 1:55 at moderate run pace a few days ago, 1250 in 90 mins for a race.

Based on what though, your HRM? Mine gives me more than 10/min sometimes too because I am obese and get a pretty good heart rate when I jog. Then I laugh at it and put less into MFP. I think my max HR being slightly higher than the age calculators predict slightly mess up the results as well. I think an HRM for cardio would be the closest you could get to a best guess but at the end of the day I don't want to be losing less than I should or worse, gaining weight, just because I overestimated.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I can easily burn just about 1000 calories in 1 hour on my bike, averaging about 20 mph @ 170 lbs.
    277 watts average (3.59 w/kg), pretty impressive but your average speed is bit odd unless there's some elevation gain. At 163.6 pounds, my best one hour average power for the January is 260 watts (3.50 w/kg) at an average speed of 18.2 mph with a net elevation gain of 1,001' (1,594' of climbing and 593' of decent during the hour in question). On flats my average power required for 21 mph is 221 watts (2.96 w/kg) based on a snip it of my 2/6 ride and the weather report has the wind speed at ~4 mph. So I figuring at 20 mph I'm pumping out 220-230 watts with no wind. We are talking about just the work done from the activity itself, right?
    Most people max out at 10 calories/minute. Even athletes.

Source?
    Cause you burn about 5KCal per L of VO2. Using lab numbers, Chris Froome can burn almost 30 KCal a minute...
    VO2Max is 84.6, weighs 69.9kg, which means 5.9 L per minute. Needless to say, VERY few people can do that, but it's physically possible.
    At 70 kg, anyone with a VO2Max of 57 can burn 20 KCal in a minute. A 57 is strong, but only predicts to a 17:50 5k. Not world class by any stretch.

Michael Joyner at the Mayo Clinic says 15-20 cal/min is normal for an althlete.

For January, my Calories per minute averages out to be 12.15 or 731 Calories per hour. The average is from 22 rides with total moving time of 44:42:39 covering 809.1 miles (only 449.1 miles was outdoors with elevation gain of 16,162') and 32,693 kj of work. Cal/min is actually slight higher since it a rough 1:1 conversion from kj to Cal. My efficiency cannot be that high. It's probably around 22-23% whereas the lazy convention assumes 25%. My work stats are derived from an power meter, Stages, which has an accuracy of +/-2%. At 48 and only riding for the last year and half after a 23+ years hiatus from the sport, I only a shadow of when I was racing collegiate.