Anyone track macros?

Options
I'm trying to lean out for Summer,so I'm on a 12 week plan then of course keep it up.
I was curious if anyone tracks their macros?
I'm 5'3 125lbs but pretty muscular. I'm going for a 1700 to 1900 calorie diet and watch my carbs. Throwing in fibrous veggies as the bulk of my carb count. Looking for friends who are on a similar journey.

Replies

• DannyDo678
    DannyDo678 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ogus disciple here add me
  • judylparker826
    judylparker826 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting with this ap...watching macros. Haven't figured out why goals vary from day to day. Set my protein goal at 70 but each day it shows different???
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i count my macros but i don't use this app for it.. My Macros+ for iOS is a lot easier to use if you're tracking macros
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just starting with this ap...watching macros. Haven't figured out why goals vary from day to day. Set my protein goal at 70 but each day it shows different???

when you add exercise it will increase in proportion to the amount of calories you burned. that said, 70 is quite low if you are in a deficit or working out
  • crystalklein7
    crystalklein7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do. Carbs & Fats 35% and Protein 30%. That is how I break it down. I really try to watch macros as it helps me.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and your macros look pretty spot on right now. Treat your fat and protein goals as minimums and make sure your getting enough fruits, veg, and all the nutritious stuff and you should be in good shape.
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definitely track the macros: 50% carbs, (try for) 40% protein and 10% fat. Generally I hit closer to 50%C, 30%P, and 20%F. I used to shoot for a lot more protein, but when I visited a nutritionist she advised me to shift to a 50-30-20 type for my lifestyle. Seems to be working ok; I still keep a low calorie count. Hard to say
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    KungFuArch wrote: »
    I definitely track the macros: 50% carbs, (try for) 40% protein and 10% fat. Generally I hit closer to 50%C, 30%P, and 20%F. I used to shoot for a lot more protein, but when I visited a nutritionist she advised me to shift to a 50-30-20 type for my lifestyle. Seems to be working ok; I still keep a low calorie count. Hard to say

I was going to ask why so low on fat. Fat is an important macro, helps with vitamin absorption, hair, nail, skin, and digestive health. A rule of thumb is 0.3-0.4 grams of fat per lb of body weight (then workout the % after) this way you still get enough fat while in a deficit.
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal this year. I lost 85 pounds in 2013 and kept it off in 2014. Now I want to lean out and have increased my protein. I have my macros set at 40% P, 40% C, and 20% fat. I used an online macros calculator to get my percentages. I have only been doing this for 3 weeks now, so not huge results yet, but I feel much better increasing my protein! Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try 20/20/60.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    grettiej wrote: »
    I'm trying to lean out for Summer,so I'm on a 12 week plan then of course keep it up.
    I'm 5'3 125lbs but pretty muscular. I'm going for a 1700 to 1900 calorie diet and watch my carbs. Throwing in fibrous veggies as the bulk of my carb count. Looking for friends who are on a similar journey.

I try to stay between 25-40 grams sugar, under 150 grams carbs and get at least 114 grams protein. My calorie goal is 1,400 but I typically go a little over (closer to 1,600) which is balanced out by heavy lifting, etc.
  • grettiej
    grettiej Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    i count my macros but i don't use this app for it.. My Macros+ for iOS is a lot easier to use if you're tracking macros

Thanks! I will check it out. I did notice this app wasn't good for tracking.
  • grettiej
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and your macros look pretty spot on right now. Treat your fat and protein goals as minimums and make sure your getting enough fruits, veg, and all the nutritious stuff and you should be in good shape.

Thank you :)
  • grettiej
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking what is your ideal macros you are looking for?

I'm trying to do
    C:209 grams
    P:139 grams
    F: 52 grams
  • grettiej
    Options
    I do. Carbs & Fats 35% and Protein 30%. That is how I break it down. I really try to watch macros as it helps me.

Awesome! I'm just starting to track, so I hope it works well for me too :)
  • grettiej
    Options
    tmorton03 wrote: »
    I have the same goal this year. I lost 85 pounds in 2013 and kept it off in 2014. Now I want to lean out and have increased my protein. I have my macros set at 40% P, 40% C, and 20% fat. I used an online macros calculator to get my percentages. I have only been doing this for 3 weeks now, so not huge results yet, but I feel much better increasing my protein! Good luck!

Good luck to you as well. We can do it :smile:
  • grettiej
    Options

I try to stay between 25-40 grams sugar, under 150 grams carbs and get at least 114 grams protein. My calorie goal is 1,400 but I typically go a little over (closer to 1,600) which is balanced out by heavy lifting, etc.

I really need to watch my sugar intake. I always forget about that one :neutral:
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM for the past year. Don't follow what MFP tells you for macros. Have someone calculate or use an online calculator (Scooby is pretty good).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

I really need to watch my sugar intake. I always forget about that one :neutral:

Unless you are diabetic or have another metabolic disorder that requires it don't worry about tracking sugar. Honestly I would be more concerned about sodium due to water retention.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My go to is...
    0.8 - 1.6 grams protein per kg of bodyweight
    0.35 - 0.45 grams fat per lb of bodyweight
    fill in the rest with carbs