Exercise on the Elliptical

Got on the elliptical for the first time today. Set the workout for 18 minutes. I am proud to say that I completed all 18 minutes even though it took me longer than 18 minutes because it was my first time. I plan to continue to use the elliptical until I am able to do all 18 minutes with no pauses.

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    WOO! GO YOU!
    It's those little steps- A few minutes more every time that will make all the difference. My husband is a hard-core elliptical freak- he started at 15 minutes a session and is up to 45 after 6 months. :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Congrats, keep it up!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Love the elliptical. My feet would go to sleep when I first started. Now I just crank up the tunes and go!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    Great Job!!

That is just how you do it. Don't try and do so much that you injure yourself and then you can't do anything. I started at 15 minutes and just kept increasing my time when it felt right . . . you will know when it is time. I would suggest keeping track in some way, I have kept track of all my workouts from day one, it helps to be able to track your progress and set goals for yourself.

I am so excited for you!!!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    I do HIIT on the elliptical, and it has worked wonders is helping my running along.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Great job! My 1st time on I could only do 4 minutes and I was wiped out. I kept at it and am working harder, longer more advanced programs with the resistance set pretty high. It shows me how I've improved my fitness since that 1st time on. Keep at it...you'll be able to do a lot more!

When you get more comfortable try letting go. It works your core muscles (so I'm told).
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Elliptical is my new fave...forwards, backwards, slower with more resistance, hands-free to work on core stability...it's really great for lots of things!
  • missssyy
    missssyy Posts: 2 Member
    I couldn't even do 5 minutes on the elliptical lol now after a week or so I can do 20-30 minutes on it with resistance low of course. Gotta start somewhere
  • mcphersonian
    mcphersonian Posts: 26 Member
    Keep on trying! I started of doing 15 minutes months ago. Now i do 60 minutes and do different programs. (Aerobic, reverse, hiit) .
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2016
    I really like to listen to tunes while cranking out on the elliptical. I keep time with the music and set it to strides per minute. I like music that is 124-134 beats per minute. It's kinda like dancing. When I have ear buds in I gotta remember to silently sing along. Everybody knows what I'm doing but nobody wants to hear it!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    That is a great mind set! You will do this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    @peachyfuzzle
    I am wondering what you do for HIIT workouts on the elliptical. I am starting C25K and also have an elliptical. Would love to enhance my running efforts through elliptical work. Thanks!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited February 2016
    @lorrpb

Sorry that it took a while to get back to you. I haven't been on MFP forums in a couple of days.

I structured it around a few things I've read about HIIT where it should be something on the order of a few short bursts of 60% effort, then a few bursts of 70% effort, then a few of 80% effort, and finish with a few of 90% effort.

So, when I first started out, I set the elliptical to a moderately easy level/0% incline, and alternated pedaling easy for 60 seconds, then pedal at whichever % effort I'm at for 60 seconds. I do three 60 second long bursts of each effort level, so the workout itself is 24 minutes long. I'll increase the speed once every week, and then increase the level a single tick every two weeks.

So, it works like this:

Week 1, Level 7:

0 - 1:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    1:00 - 2:00: 60% effort around 6.0-6.5mph
    2:00 - 3:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    3:00 - 4:00: 60% effort around 6.0-6.5mph
    4:00 - 5:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    5:00 - 6:00: 60% effort around 6.0-6.5mph
    6:00 - 7:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    7:00 - 8:00: 70% effort around 7.0-7.5mph

Repeat, and increase by 1mph after completing three minutes of increased effort ending at 9.0-9.5mph

Week 2, Level 7:

0 - 1:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    1:00 - 2:00: 60% effort around 7.0-7.5mph
    2:00 - 3:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    3:00 - 4:00: 60% effort around 7.0-7.5mph
    4:00 - 5:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    5:00 - 6:00: 60% effort around 7.0-7.5mph
    6:00 - 7:00: Moderate effort around 3.5mph
    7:00 - 8:00: 70% effort around 8.0-8.5mph

Repeat, and increase by 1mph after completing three minutes of increased effort ending at 10.0-10.5mph

Week 3, Level 8 back to same MPH as Week 1. Repeat. Of course, you'd have to tailor it to yourself, and my 90% effort might be extraordinarily different for you.

To my understanding, the point is to train your heart rate to spike quickly, and also to normalize quickly so that it "learns" to stay at a lower rate at higher levels of activity intensity.