1stDay Again...3weeks 8lbs loss possible?

Options
3500cals. is a pound, but for female 5'2" 160lbs, how many daily cals should I eat and burn to loose 8lbs in 3 weeks? I can do 600-1000cal burn daily doing variety of cardio...but I want to be safe and healthy. Thank u for reading

Replies

• Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a wedding to go to (with my bestie) and a dress my butt and belly may bust through
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    I will set more goals for after March 11th... I seem to gain 20lbs from Nov-April every year because my activity slows and I don't eat clean. Winter in Canada!
  • Teallaquin
    Teallaquin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an intake of no less than 1,000, as it is important to eat well during weight loss (otherwise you risk screwing up your metabolism!). I'm 5' 6" and ~150lbs and shooting for a 2lb-a-week loss, so my intake is ~1200 a day, if that gives you a sort of ball-park of what you want to shoot for. Since you're exercising so much on a daily basis, you're going to want a higher caloric intake to balance out what you're burning. If you're accurate about how much you're burning every day, then I should think 1,500 calories a day might be a good goal to shoot for a day. I am not a professional, though. Just remember that while an excess of calories is still and excess of calories, what matters is what you're eating. The general rule when exercising is to load up on complex carbs beforehand and then eat a high-protein snack afterwards to help repair the muscles that were used during your routine.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Possible but more realistic is 4-6. Cut out dairy, breads, high sodium and try eating 5-6 small meals a day 200-250 calories each. Lots of water and walk as much as possible
  • DannyDo678
    DannyDo678 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What are your maintenance calories
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes that is possible, but it's best to listen to your body and find that sweet spot for a sustainable deficit. It is different for each person. So is the rate of fat loss. The body weight scale isn't such a great indicator of fat loss as the the body is mostly water. It's only good as a trend say every month.

If you eat to low it will backfire, so it really is finding your own sustainable deficit, AND letting the body shed in it's own time. The enemy in this game is impatience and not letting the body function properly, it's not a machine like the MFP calculator is.
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Awesome to get a reply piggysmalls333! Wow thanks. This is my first time trying the community part of this app! Appreciate the time u took to read my q!
  • Teallaquin
    Teallaquin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    (I just realized I only kind of answered your question)
    I think 8lbs in 3 weeks is doable, as that is about 2.67lbs a week. You just need to be very careful about making sure you're eating enough to balance out the amount of exercising you're doing. Safety is critical- exercise won't out-do a bad diet and a good diet won't out-do exercise, so they need to be balanced. :)
  • hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ok its actually simple, the difficult part will be you keeping it off after the wedding!! short goals force you to jump out of your long term plan and into a short term plan and can negate your current progress.. just fyi, if you do it, do it without derailing your current diet or work out routine.. for example, if you work out for 1hr, increase your reps or distance in that hr. if your eating 5 oz of meat, eat 4oz and sub the last ounce with fruit. in other words enhance your current plan not dismiss it..
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Hmmmmmm well maintenance cals- I've never done when not training for events. Gosh I honestly never thought of it. I loose when I restrict cals to 1200-1500 cals. But I should stop the gain-lose Dannydo678. Spring summer I never have to worry about restricting cals- Once I get down I should keep track then too. Thanks! Suggestions!?!
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Wow californiagirl2012!
    I do need to get better I sync/In-touch! How low is dangerous? Obviously if it makes me sick... Which I won't do! Thank u
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    @Bawlerb it's my pleasure and good luck! ☺️
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 160. I started on Jan 5 at 168 (still 5'2" :/ ) but I stuck to around 1300 cals a day and about about 300 cals of exercise 5 days a week. It took about 4 weeks for me
  • hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" 160. I started on Jan 5 at 168 (still 5'2" :/ ) but I stuck to around 1300 cals a day and about about 300 cals of exercise 5 days a week. It took about 4 weeks for me

really good example.. slow and steady wins the race they say.
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Tealloquin that's exactly what I needed and hecterh82 your tips make me think this is doable!
    Gosh- sincerely feel blessed for your responses. Thanku. I also know that comments get posted faster then my replies... Sorry I'm new/slow at this.
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Great job Sanfromny! hecterh82... Quite a sweet guy to comment like that.
    I got in my second run of the year this am! It's -30'C here so I'm not running outside! I'm Canadian, not crazy. I jog around my house for 60mins and got in 8.5km. Good thing I have two sets of stairs make a loop thought my house. Will I be able to walk tomorrow. Lol.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to be a bit of a downer, but I want you to get a different perspective from the replies you've already gotten. With so little to lose, 3 lbs per week is an aggressive goal. A healthy weekly weight loss goals for people who aren't very obese is 1-2 lbs per week.

Regardless, there is really no way to tell how much you can lose in such a short time. In order to attempt to lose the weight quickly, you will probably have to make significant changes to your diet and exercise. These changes can trigger swings in water weight and changes in digestion, which will affect the number on the scale. These issues will even out in the long run, but you haven't given yourself enough time to get there.

My personal opinion when the target date is so soon is to go out and by a nice pair of Spanx to deal with the event, and to meanwhile start a sensible long term plan to lose the weight for good, so you don't have to go through this again the next time you have a big event coming up!

If you want to try for 8 lbs in 3 weeks, by all means go for it, but your net calories (calories eaten minus exercise calorie) should not drop below 1,200. Also try to avoid foods that typically make you bloat or retain water to avoid any extra puffiness. And I'll bet that whether you lose 1 lb or 10 lbs by the wedding, you will look awesome and will be able to have a blast regardless. Best of luck and have fun!
  • Bawlerb
    Options
    Kimny72- my neutral is Happy and your reply definitely wasn't a downer.
    I can't buy Spanx - I live in a town of 300 total pop...many things I can't buy= feuf!
    I think your very right in ur post. Exactly what I need to do.
    Btw- thanks for the positive encouragement.
    It's true the numbers may not matter, but it's a measurable goal I thought might help the dress that needed a friends help to zip up! I wore it comfortable in December... So it's possible non-bloat foods and just clean eating will be enough.... Or it's more then 10lbs loss.
    Should I weigh in more hen once a week?
    Maybe measurements are better to do for belly bum leaning-out. Not sure how to do measurements, other then try on to see if guys. Lol. I'm 33 and should know me better!
  • judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bawler, this is all pretty good advice so far, are you using your phone or the website for MFP? I'm not sure how to do it on your phone, but on the website, under the my home tab is a section called goals, you can set your own particular information and what you want to d and the website will help you set realistic expectations of how many calories to consume daily, ect to reach your goals. if you have trouble, I'd be more than glad to help...the main thing is to log your food accurately, daily
  • judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ^*do