can i eat unhealthy food and not gain weight?

Options
can i eat unhealthy food with respecting the amount of calories I should eat during the day without getting fat?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/

As long as you hit your calorie goals and any other personal nutrition goals you need to reach then you should lose weight.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's the only thing that has helped me keep this weight off.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you account for it in your day. My diet is not the healthiest around, but even with that I got the nutrition I needed and lost weight. Including foods you like, even unhealthy ones, helps you stay on track better because you're depriving yourself of things you like. Just learning to eat less of them.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes you can as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Im not sure what you consider healthy but you will lose weight if you eat less cals you burn no matter what the good is.

I eat anywhere from 300-1000 cals a day from ice cream either when I'm a cut or bulk and do just fine.

Hit your macros and your cal goals.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sure. I wouldn't eat ALL unhealthy food however. But yeah, if you balance a small amount of "unhealthy" food with "good" nutrient dense foods and stick under your goal, you'll be fine.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I find a split Somewhere between 80/20 - 90/10 percent of "healthy/unhealthy" food to be a good balance of meeting macro & calorie goals while allowing myself to indulge in some other not so healthy foods I occasionally enjoy.

I've learned to savour my indulgences & to enjoy it, going for quality over quantity. For example, if having some pie or cake I'll opt for a really decedent homemade or fresh bakery made one & skip the cheaper lower quality grocery store offering.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

This is the answer you're looking for op.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't going over your maintenance calories, yes. Is it healthy, though? No.
  • gottazayn
    gottazayn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

This is the answer you're looking for op.
    yeah I've been trying it lately and it does work
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The short answer about eating what you want without gaining weight is yes, you can, as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

The better answer for a long term approach is to try to balance a primarily nutrient dense diet with some treats as you can fit them in.

I prefer not to use the phrase "unhealthy foods" because I think that any food can fit within the context of an overall healthy diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The short answer about eating what you want without gaining weight is yes, you can, as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

The better answer for a long term approach is to try to balance a primarily nutrient dense diet with some treats as you can fit them in.

I prefer not to use the phrase "unhealthy foods" because I think that any food can fit within the context of an overall healthy diet.

^ Best answer in the thread so far.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

So if I were to eat nothing but pizza pops and chips everyday you'd say it was a healthy diet as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

So if I were to eat nothing but pizza pops and chips everyday you'd say it was a healthy diet as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals?

That is most definitely neither what she stated nor what she implied.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gottazayn wrote: »
    can i eat unhealthy food with respecting the amount of calories I should eat during the day without getting fat?

What is "unhealthy" food? Typically people say this when they really mean calorie dense food.

Don't eat depleted uranium chips or anything.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I highly doubt that would be "healthy" as you'd still likely be severely lacking in essential nutrients, but you most certainly could lose weight.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes you can, but there's a lot more to health than staying within a certain calorie range. For one example, if your diet is high in saturated fat, you will pay the price in gradual loss of heart and brain function. Saturated fat builds up on the walls of blood vessels, thus there will be less blood and less oxygen getting to the heart and the brain, leading to heart attacks and strokes (among other problems).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how you got that from the post you quoted.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I think you must have misunderstood my post.

Let me state it again.

For weight loss, what matters is to be in a calorie deficit. You can do that eating nothing but pizza, pop, and chips.

If you eat pizza, pop and chips as part of your overall diet which includes primarily nutrient dense foods, then yes, I think that can be healthy.

• hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    oh i know this for a fact!!! yes, and like everyone has stated above just exercise.