U.K. Based newbie struggling!!

Options
Suffering from body dysmorphia anyone out there who also suffers from BDD?

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I think I do, although nobody professional has ever confirmed it to me because getting a straight answer out of anyone like that or even seeing them is hassle that isn't worth my time. I lost five stone in less time than it has taken me to actually see someone about this. Anyway, to get to the point, yes, me, maybe.
  • christieann30
    christieann30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean I've seen my gp but the answer seems to be lots of anti depressants which I personally don't see helping the underlined issue. I'm finding going out in public to be a huge issue at the moment have you experienced this?
  • Mrtomh99
    Mrtomh99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is bad ?
  • christieann30
    Options
    BDD is body dysmorphic disorder, you tend to obsess over a particular part of your body which consumes your day to day life,closely linked with obsessive compulsive disorder.
  • shopaholic221
    shopaholic221 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know all to well what your going through. I have BDD, have been suffering with it for 10 years. I'm am also based in the UK. Add me if you like. X
  • GeexJai14
    GeexJai14 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also think I have a little bit of something but I think losing the weight and making myself better will make all the difference im from England add me if you like :)
  • christieann30
    Options
    @ shopaholic it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this it's difficult to find someone who understands what your going on about most people just think ya mad
  • shopaholic221
    Options
    @ shopaholic it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this it's difficult to find someone who understands what your going on about most people just think ya mad

Yeah I know what your saying. if I say anything people look at me like I'm crazy. Or people think your being vain. It's difficult for people to really understand how difficult living with BDD is, it effects you on a daily basis and even leaving the house some days is a task.
  • christieann30
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean the anxiety kicks in and it's much easier to hide away I only go out with my partner now and he works away a lot so I spend a lot of my time in the house even when we're out if he walks off the panic sets in. Have you tried CBT cognitive behaviourial therapy? X
  • shopaholic221
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean the anxiety kicks in and it's much easier to hide away I only go out with my partner now and he works away a lot so I spend a lot of my time in the house even when we're out if he walks off the panic sets in. Have you tried CBT cognitive behaviourial therapy? X

I tired CBT a few years ago, it didn't really do much for me. Maybe I gave up on it to soon, who knows.