My calorie intake is very low for right now.

Options
I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery on Dec. 21, 2015 and my surgeon has me on only 500 calories a day. That will go up when I go on maintenance. I am followed very closely by my surgeon. I have to be careful for my calorie, fats,and carbohydrates. I also don't use any added salt on my food after I cook it. So far I have lost 38 1/2 lbs now since I had applied to have this surgery. I'm much happier now. I still have a ways to go but it just takes time.

Replies

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    500 cals? I'd starve to death!
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well with this surgery I had I really don't get hungry, I eat more on a time schedule.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Join this group - you will get more support :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1052-vsgers
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    Thank you so much.i hope you have a great day.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I wish you well. I hope "they" let you have more calories soon, my fear is malnutrition. If the photo you are using is recent you do not look as if there is much more to loose. Have "they" got you on vitamin/mineral supplements because we are unable to store most of them. I know you need the correct balance of fats, protein etc. Your schedule is something I know I couldn't cope with.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's how WLS works
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I wish you well. I hope "they" let you have more calories soon, my fear is malnutrition. If the photo you are using is recent you do not look as if there is much more to loose. Have "they" got you on vitamin/mineral supplements because we are unable to store most of them. I know you need the correct balance of fats, protein etc. Your schedule is something I know I couldn't cope with.

VSG does not have the same malabsorption as RNY or others that reroute intestines, so storing vitamins/minerals is not really an issue. And the 500 calories is generally short term because you end up with a 2 oz stomach at first due to swelling, etc. Eventually it will relax to about 6-8 oz and calories increase. Most docs put you on vitamin regimens to account for the lower intake in the beginning. But several years out its unlikely people with VSG need any supplementation at all. I am 4+ years out, eat 2000 calories on average (its actually kind of hard to do, but I like the energy), and take no vitamins. All labs are perfect still, and other than Vit D being low in winter like always, I am in much better health than when I was overweight.

This sounds like a pretty typical VSG. She's less than 8 weeks out, sounds about right.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    This sounds like a pretty typical VSG. She's less than 8 weeks out, sounds about right.

Yes. Right after surgery, you have to heal & end up with very few calories. I was on liquids & protein powder for several weeks.

OP--Good for you on starting with your logging now! It will be sooo important once you get into maintenance to know how to track your intake & have good habits.

Don't be surprised if your hair starts to fall out during this initial period of low calorie eating--it will grow back once you can eat more.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for putting me more in the picture. I realised the stomach will increase in volume over time. I know this is too radical for me. I wish anyone well who comes to the conclusion this is the only way forward for them to regain their health. It would be an odd world if we were all the same.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    I am on bariatric vitamins and my doctor keeps a close eye on me. In time I will be on the maintenance program and that will be great. I told my doctor I'm not looking to be skinny just want to be healthy. Thank you for asking me about my vitamins and my care.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    Aylajane thank you for your note. I am doing well. I do hope that as time passes I won't have to take the supplements for my vitamins and minerals. It will be nice not to take those horrible tasting vitamins any more lol. I'm real happy for you and your progress. Please take care and keep in touch.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    I am very happy to say that my hair falling out has stopped. My doctor said my stomach has been healing great.