1200 cals . under . <100g carbs . Clean eating

Options
Im concentrating on staying under 1200cals, <100g carbs and eating as clean add i can, is this enough for weight loss. ... also 3 x HIIT a week.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • bombamy2
    bombamy2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why you say that?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1200 is very tough to stick with. People end up giving up because they are hungry.

A better way IMO is to work out your tdee and eat 250-500 calories below it each day.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight?
    1200 is the bare minimum you should eat, unless you're very small or on a physician supervised diet.
    If you're working out, eat back half of what MFP gives you for exercise calories.
    Use a BMR calculator to figure out how many base calories you burn each day, the use a TDEE calculator to figure out what your total daily expenditure is. If you eat somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE, you should see regular weight loss.
    If you're eating under 1200 and your BMR, for example, is 1400? You're gonna make yourself really sick really fast. :)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    And you better eat back your burned HIIT calories, gotta fuel the machine.
  • bombamy2
    Options
    I just eat what mfp has allowed me, i have a generous amount to loose. TDEE and BMR i have no idea what they are? I imput my current and goals hey presto I've been given the cals to work against, i choose to stay inder 100g carbs as I thought that was recommended for weight loss....seems i have a lot to learn still.

Thanks for your helpful replies
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1200 is a minimum. As in... the least amount you should be eating. :)

MFP gives you a goal. Goals are meant to be met or exceeded. :)

Also, if you workout, eat at least a portion of those exercise calories back to keep yourself properly fueled to continue those workouts.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    TDEE is your Total Daily Expenditure - how many calories you burn total per day.
    and BMR is your Base Metabolic Rate - How many calories your body needs just to function if all you did was lie in bed all day like a Victorian era woman suffering from 'malaise'.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Scooby Workshop includes Macros (carbs, fat, protein) calculator for figuring out what good percentages are for different dietary styles, low-carb, etc.
  • bombamy2
    Options
    Thanks everyone...so yea ive just looked up TDEE and BMR... thats come out massively different. That has thown me now...i am generally only shy of 1200...so today was 1170 going by what you said, ive just gained loads of calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bombamy2 wrote: »
    I just eat what mfp has allowed me, i have a generous amount to loose. TDEE and BMR i have no idea what they are? I imput my current and goals hey presto I've been given the cals to work against, i choose to stay inder 100g carbs as I thought that was recommended for weight loss....seems i have a lot to learn still.

Thanks for your helpful replies

#1. MFP gave you a goal based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." An aggressive goal = a small amount of calories. Unless you are under 5' tall, you can lose while eating more.

#2. 1200 is based on zero exercise. MFP is designed for you to eat exercise calories back. But, calorie burns are generous....be conservative here.

Faster weight loss often comes at a pretty steep price - a higher % of lean muscle loss, especially as you get closer to goal. Lean muscle looks good on your body, it's the fat you want to get rid of. To keep more lean muscle make sure the number you use is adequate.

Lower carb is not necessary unless you have a medical reason for doing so. Some people do well on low carb. Me - I want to chew my arm off. Pick something you can live with for awhile, and pick something that will mirror (in many ways) the way you will eat when at goal (lifestyle changes).