Personal Training - yes or no?

So I just got my own gym membership (I was using my boyfriends free pass and going with him previously). Anyways, there is a sign up offer for discounted Personal Training. I can get 6 sessions for $250, which is regularly $450. I've been considering it so I'm more comfortable when by myself in the gym, and can make sure I'm doing all the exercises properly. I've done some training with my boyfriend, but as he's self taught and has different goals than me.
Can anyone give me any advice or pointers if this would be worth my time (and money) to invest in?

I'm 29, looking to get a bit leaner and tone my body, and to be stronger than I am.

Thank you!
- E

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Find your "why" and you wouldn't need a trainer or anyone else- Your "why" alone will wake you up in the morning and push you to find answers that you don't have right now.

I wouldn't spend money on a trainer rather get new lifting shoes or couple of 45lb plates for home lol. Whatever you need to learn you can learn from this website.

Immensely helpful audience/friends/hommies/hommettes/bros/broettes here.

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Sorry- one major rule to keep in mind

Calories in Calories out is all that matters PERIOD - I learned this so late in life.

So calculate how many calories you spend in a day using TDEE calculator on google and eat less than that and lift

heavy. That's it.

Focus on Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead press, - compound exercises. That's it
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    It works for me but only with the right trainer.
    Allowing for the fact its a discount offer may be worth trying, if you were thinking about it but it may be worth checking if all trainers at the gym are included in this offer and if there is one who is suitable. (my last gym used to do offers like this but it often was for the less popular pt's or ones who had just started so you often couldn't get reviews on them.).
    Why not have a chat if possible with them, see what they are like and what sort of thing they do, plus if it will fit in with your own goals. One thing I would avoid is signing up with a trainer without seeing him work or hearing about the type of stuff they do. Made that mistake once and although a nice guy, his workouts were more or less exactly what I did in the gym alone, luckily he left after four weeks.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Some will do fantastic without ever using a trainer and others will need the extra pointers.

I needed to learn proper form so I have used many trainers. I didn't want to risk injury by not knowing proper form while lifting heavy.

With that being said, not all trainers are worth what they charge. Just like anything- some are knowledgeable and some are not. I've saw tons that where not at all knowledgeable . anyone can complete a simple online course and become a trainer. It doesn't mean they are any good. So be very careful and check their credentials. Ask to see all certs and then look them up to see if they went to a reputable school or a cheesy online course. Ask them how long they have been training and what they do to further their education. ( I met one who still believed the myth that carbs made people fat. Lol ! ) so like anything, there's good ones and bad ones. I've noticed trainers themselves with poor form.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I'm not generally a fan of big box gym trainers. It's a little too cookie cutter for me. But the rate you are quoting for six session is reasonable to get a feel for the gym equipment, form, etc., but I would get recommendations from other members or observe the trainers while you are there to see their style. What are your boyfriend's goals? I train with my boyfriend and the only real difference is the weight amount. And I engage in more cardio than him but we occasionally take cycle classes together.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Some will do fantastic without ever using a trainer and others will need the extra pointers.

I needed to learn proper form so I have used many trainers. I didn't want to risk injury by not knowing proper form while lifting heavy.

With that being said, not all trainers are worth what they charge. Just like anything- some are knowledgeable and some are not. I've saw tons that where not at all knowledgeable . anyone can complete a simple online course and become a trainer. It doesn't mean they are any good. So be very careful and check their credentials. Ask to see all certs and then look them up to see if they went to a reputable school or a cheesy online course. Ask them how long they have been training and what they do to further their education. ( I met one who still believed the myth that carbs made people fat. Lol ! ) so like anything, there's good ones and bad ones. I've noticed trainers themselves with poor form.

Agreed with this. My current trainer is free (through my company) and she's degreed and comes with a truck load of experience, so yes - trainers can be awesome.

If you're looking for guidance on how to use certain gym machines or form, a gym trainer might be an okay deal for one or two sessions.

I would also use caution. Gym trainers often don't have to have any credentials. (Of course, this depends on the gym). My first trainer basically walked into the gym, applied to be a trainer, and then the gym put him through a one or two week crash course on training. And yes, he actually admitted this to me (I was young and naive, so I didn't think anything of it).

There are also those who might really know their stuff when it comes to lifting and exercise, but might be sorely misinformed when it comes to nutrition, as Thorsmom pointed out, or how the body works with certain health conditions. I once interviewed a trainer who told me that my asthma, which I've had since I was four, would be cured if I lost weight - and we just had to push through it. Yeah, no thanks.

tl;dr version: ask lots of questions and make sure they know what they're doing.

ETA: The "sale" price isn't bad if the person is credentialed and educated. The "normal" price is pretty egregious. I just wanted to offer that context as well.
  • OldManOne
    OldManOne Posts: 67 Member
    Don't spend money on a personal trainer - You can keep your calories under control my using MFP and go to this web site for 100's of exercise and videos of how to do them correctly. It's all FREE !!!!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/?clickid=WYBU57WWnzIlx0GXenWr12j3UkV3AkVGNxvXyI0&irpid=10078
    Good Luck and Work Hard!!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member

I started lifting in my early 20s, because my fiance at the time was a competition builder, and we hung out a LOT at a gym that pretty much catered to him and his buddies. They might have been hard-core, but they taught me some really bad lifting habits (women lifters were pretty rare then. I think I was the only woman who used our gym) just because they didn't know any better.

When I started getting back into fitness again, I did the free 'trainer intro' that came with our gym membership, and I'm really glad I did. Gave me a good understanding of machines that I hadn't encountered before, some great tips on gym etiquette, and really kind of 'kick-started' my workout. Plus my trainer was able to tell me how to make changes from those bad habits I learned decades ago. Honestly, though, if it hadn't been free, I probably wouldn't have done it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited February 2016
    elykt wrote: »
    So I just got my own gym membership (I was using my boyfriends free pass and going with him previously). Anyways, there is a sign up offer for discounted Personal Training. I can get 6 sessions for $250, which is regularly $450. I've been considering it so I'm more comfortable when by myself in the gym, and can make sure I'm doing all the exercises properly. I've done some training with my boyfriend, but as he's self taught and has different goals than me.
    Can anyone give me any advice or pointers if this would be worth my time (and money) to invest in?

I'm 29, looking to get a bit leaner and tone my body, and to be stronger than I am.

Thank you!
    - E

I think I paid $50 for six small group sessions with a PT at the Y, so was in a bit of sticker shock after reading your $250 for 6 sessions, but that's $42 per session, which isn't bad. I really liked my trainer at the Y.

When I belonged to an LA Fitness, I wasn't impressed with the trainers I observed. That LA Fitness paid yoga teachers the lowest price I'd ever heard of, and I wonder if they do the same with trainers. (One yoga teacher I knew referred to his time at LA Fitness as seva - selfless service - volunteer work.)

I think that price would be fine if you had a good trainer - can you speak to some current clients?
  • elykt
    elykt Posts: 20 Member
    Hey everyone -I'm in BC, Canada, and going to Goodlife Fitness (if that helps?).

There is one trainer in particular that works at my gym that I'm interested. She's a certified trainer as well as an IFBB pro competitor. Plus she's tall like I am, which to me is an appealing factor. I've talked to a few people that train with her and they have similar goals to what I'm looking to attain and say they enjoy working with her. I've done the Youtube videos a lot (big fan of Fitness Blender), and am okay with working out with my boyfriend when he's there (its nice to have someone to talk to, and coach a bit). I'm really more concerned with making sure my form is correct with everything - I want to know I'm squatting properly, how to dead lift correctly, all that stuff. I've watched videos and what not but to have a professional guide me through might be worth it for me.

I do have a few free orientations that come with my sign up (using the cardio equipment, a "personal evaluation" to check my fitness levels) and I might wait and see what those give me and then decide. I also intend on doing the fitness classes they offer, as they are free with my membership. They offer a variety of options including some strength training ones which I really want to take.

I don't have room for workout equipment at home, or else I'd just invest in my own weights.

Thanks again for all the info and insight - always appreciated! :)

ALSO, I'm always looking for new friends and motivation, so feel free to add me if you want!

- E

• ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Lucky you. The rate at my place is $900 for 10 hour sessions. And this is already after discount for students!
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2016
    personal trainers are good for introduction I guess but in the end, a lot of them have their clients doing dumb shat that doesn't work for everyone. I wouldn't waste my money on a personal trainer, just ask around at the gym for help and look online for diet advice.
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    If you are comfortable with your form then you may not need one, but you do not want to start out with bad habits and end up having trouble correcting them later, or even worse with injuries.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    If you have observed the PT in action, have gotten good references & think she's a good fit for you then go for it. Sometimes having a second set of eyes on you as you do the exercises especially if you're new to them can be very helpful not to mention they'll keep you motivated.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    In our gym, at least 50% of the people who say they don't need a trainer really, really need a trainer.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    I finally bit the bullet after a year of working out and got a trainer because they were having a really good special.

Best decision of my life. 1000% recommend getting a trainer. Do it, just do it. You will be so glad you did.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    That's a good deal so I'd say do it. I've watched a lot online and have met with a trainer once but I know I could use a lot more help with form.