creating recipes - amount per serving

Options
moozydoo
moozydoo Posts: 5 Member
When I create a new recipe I can enter the amount of servings, but I can't figure out where to pick the amount per serving. For example, I created a new soup recipe last night. It made 4 servings, but where can I show or choose that each serving should be 1.5 cups?

Replies

• rsngmn
    rsngmn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    İ don't think the recipe maker work that way. It calculates the total calorie of your meal and divided it by the number of servings (so it becomes 1 serving in your diary) so you get your correct nutritional values.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You can edit the name of the recipe to reflect the serving size, e.g. "Soup 1.5 cups".
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    An alternative, and more accurate, method is to weigh the whole batch of soup in grammes, and make each gramme a serving. So if your soup weighs 500g you have 500 servings. Then, when you are adding it to your diary you just weigh your serving and put that weight as the number of servings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    An alternative, and more accurate, method is to weigh the whole batch of soup in grammes, and make each gramme a serving. So if your soup weighs 500g you have 500 servings. Then, when you are adding it to your diary you just weigh your serving and put that weight as the number of servings.

It's what I do.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I use the following format to name my recipes. For me, this makes it so much easier to see the information in the Recipe list and in my daily Food Diary when I log it. I actually put "Recipe -" at the beginning of the name so that I can easily distinguish it from the other items logged.

"Recipe - [Keywords] [Date] [Total_Weight] [Number_of_Servings] [Weight_per_Serving] [Calories_per_Serving]"

Examples:
    "Recipe - Pudding, Triple Chocolate 2015.06.26 520g 4Srv 130g 108Cals"
    "Recipe - Vegetables, Mixed, Coconut Curry 2015.06.21 972g 12Srv 81g 68Cals"​
    "Recipe - Jambalaya, Chicken Chorizo Mussels 2015.10.03 4140g 18Srv 230g 169Cals"

I also tend to set my serving size for one-pot Recipes to 230g, which is roughly 1 US customary cup. That way I can just grab a measuring cup and measure out a portion of the leftovers if I am in a hurry.
  • moozydoo
    moozydoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I understand the app won't let me set the serving size.
    You are able to add this info in when adding a packaged item into the database, so I didn't think it was asking too much for the the app to let me enter it as if I was entering info off a nutritional label, (Example, 4 servings, 1.5 cup per serving, 262 calories per serving"
    I wanted to know so if I make the same recipe again I will have an idea as to how much soup I will will be making - I'm really just improvising my soups most of the time.
    CyberTone, I like your idea and i actually had done something similar for the last recipe,
    I named it "Pressure cooker black lentil soup, 1.5c/serving". I will now add more info in my recipe names, including "recipe" - great idea, thank you!
  • marianna140
    marianna140 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use this formula. For example if you're making vegetable soup ( just weighs each portion on food scale and then log it in into your diary).for example:your soup contains:
    broccoli : 50g
    Mushroom: 40 g
    Cabbage: 30 g
    And ect..
    That way you are able to log in accuraletly everything you eat.

In case you haven't eaten the whole soup you had made, you just can either estimate by dividing each portion eg: mushroom(40g÷2=20g ) so you estimate the closest quantity you have eaten
    Or,
    Simply you split each typeof vegetable and weighs them
    Eg: you split cabbage from mushroom and from broccoli then you weigh each type of these veggies and then log them in .

Do not forget to log in any other seasoning or other addition to your soup like oil; lemon, tomato paste, pesto ect... this is the best way for accuracy as calories get accumulated.
  • JD2000
    JD2000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just entered a recipe in the app using the grams method mentioned above. It said each serving was one calorie. Then I saved it and added my serving size in grams (191) and it doubled my calories to 280. Is this right? If yes, can anyone explain why it works this way? If no, what is going on? Thank you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    JD2000 wrote: »
    I just entered a recipe in the app using the grams method mentioned above. It said each serving was one calorie. Then I saved it and added my serving size in grams (191) and it doubled my calories to 280. Is this right? If yes, can anyone explain why it works this way? If no, what is going on? Thank you.

That one calorie was actually 1.46 calories and rounded down :)
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I measure the final weight in grams of whatever I've made, divide that number by how many serves I want, and then write that number in the recipe name.