Low Carbers

Options
Doctor ordered a low carb diet to help lower my triglycerides. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• alexhilderbrand35
    Options
    Ideal protein. Pricey but Results guaranteed.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What sort of suggestions are you looking for? Did your doctor recommend any specific plan? Did he or she recommend a carb limit?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IWTBFCIN3 wrote: »
    Doctor ordered a low carb diet to help lower my triglycerides. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf perhaps
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I see you are in your 60's. Be a bit careful with high saturated fat foods.
    I am high complex carbs.
    Lots of beans, quinoa, barley, plain oatmeal, lentils, brown rice, etc.
    Also lots of fruits and veggies.
    Many doctors recommend a more whole foods plant based diet for their older patients.
    Google: Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet plans and heart healthy recipes.

Foods high in fiber will help to control your triglycerides and LDL ("bad") cholesterol. Examples include: beans, whole grains, ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, rice bran, oat bran, fruits and vegetables. Be sure to drink more water when you begin to increase your fiber intake.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Most low carb diets seem to lower triglycerides, and weight loss will help with it too. Saturated fats do not tend to raise triglycerides unless they are eaten along with a fair bit of carbs.

Most consider low carb to be below 100g of carbs per day (some as high as 150g). That amount of carbs will allow for plenty of veggies, a bit of fruit, and possibly some small amounts of the traditional plate fillers like rice, grains, beans, and potatoes. Most low carbers tend to skip those foods and go for more nutrient dense veggies though.

Atkins is a good place to start. I follow something like phase 1 which is a ketogenic diet (primarily fat burning rather than using glucose for fuel) but others do well with more than 20g of carbs per day. Dukan is a lower carb diet too, and South Beach is pretty low too. I follow the plan in the book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is a low carb plan for lowering blood glucose levels for diabetics.

If you make fats the primary macro in your diet, carbs will be lower. Eating foods like coconut oil, coconut, meats, full fat dairy like butter, cheese, sour cream, whipping cream and high fat yogurt (10+%), non root veggies, nuts, avocado, olives and their oils, seeds and berries will serve you well.

Skipping baked goods, rice, corn, oatmeal, grains, sugar added foods and drinks, starchy veggies (especially potatoes), and tropical fruits, grapes, and dried fruits and fast ways to cut carbs and calories.

Come join us at the Low Carber Daily for more support. Good luck.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I see you are in your 60's. Be a bit careful with high saturated fat foods.
    I am high complex carbs.
    Lots of beans, quinoa, barley, plain oatmeal, lentils, brown rice, etc.
    Also lots of fruits and veggies.
    Many doctors recommend a more whole foods plant based diet for their older patients.
    Google: Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet plans and heart healthy recipes.

Foods high in fiber will help to control your triglycerides and LDL ("bad") cholesterol. Examples include: beans, whole grains, ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, rice bran, oat bran, fruits and vegetables. Be sure to drink more water when you begin to increase your fiber intake.
    Given your fats.
    I'd agree here. Something like the South Beach Diet might be good. Lean proteins, healthy fats. Limit refined carbs, focus on nutrient dense, high fiber (aka "good") carbs.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    What sort of suggestions are you looking for? Did your doctor recommend any specific plan? Did he or she recommend a carb limit?
    No she just said no rice, bread, potatos etc. I'm trying to stay around 80-90
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Most low carb diets seem to lower triglycerides, and weight loss will help with it too. Saturated fats do not tend to raise triglycerides unless they are eaten along with a fair bit of carbs.

Most consider low carb to be below 100g of carbs per day (some as high as 150g). That amount of carbs will allow for plenty of veggies, a bit of fruit, and possibly some small amounts of the traditional plate fillers like rice, grains, beans, and potatoes. Most low carbers tend to skip those foods and go for more nutrient dense veggies though.

Atkins is a good place to start. I follow something like phase 1 which is a ketogenic diet (primarily fat burning rather than using glucose for fuel) but others do well with more than 20g of carbs per day. Dukan is a lower carb diet too, and South Beach is pretty low too. I follow the plan in the book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is a low carb plan for lowering blood glucose levels for diabetics.

If you make fats the primary macro in your diet, carbs will be lower. Eating foods like coconut oil, coconut, meats, full fat dairy like butter, cheese, sour cream, whipping cream and high fat yogurt (10+%), non root veggies, nuts, avocado, olives and their oils, seeds and berries will serve you well.

Skipping baked goods, rice, corn, oatmeal, grains, sugar added foods and drinks, starchy veggies (especially potatoes), and tropical fruits, grapes, and dried fruits and fast ways to cut carbs and calories.

Come join us at the Low Carber Daily for more support. Good luck.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you! that helped a lot. I don't think age has anything to do with it as some have suggested. But having my gallbladder out has had a big impact on my weight. Fatty foods make me sick so I use caution there. Thanks again!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I do need more water daily. Less diet coke.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs below 100 grams/day. :)
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    IWTBFCIN3 wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    No she just said no rice, bread, potatos etc. I'm trying to stay around 80-90

If they mentioned those but didn't mention a carb limit, I wonder if they just want you on foods with a lower glycemic index?

Anyways, cauliflower can make a good rice/mashed potatoes substitute. Ricing it it pretty much just running it through a food processor. To mash it, cut or break up the florets and rapidly boil until super tender, strain and drain any water and start mashing it up with a little bit of cream cheese.

It is primarily a texture substitute though, so actually flavoring it afterwards is key.