Losing weight while strength training

Options
2»

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Devonanne wrote: »
    You've only lost 3.5lbs since December 14 because your body wasn't in large enough deficit. If your stronger than before, you may have added some muscle mass, so it's possible you've lost more than you think.

Unfortunately you need to create a deficit to see results, either cardio or reduced calories. How many calories do you eat per day?

I average around 1800-1900 per day. Sometimes less sometimes a little more. I just can't seem to get under that without being really hungry. So I'm not surprised I'm not losing faster! I'm just wondering if adding in cardio is the answer to burn more calories. I was hoping to hear of other people's experiences - I do realize that I need a deficit to lose fat.

Everyday on my home stream I see dairies between 1200-1600 calories for most women.

If I was you I would add 3 sessions of cardio per week each burning 300 calories and I would drop calories to 1600. Based on what you said, this should result in a 1lb per week loss.

If she is having trouble staying satisfied, why would dropping calories help? And just because your stream reflects 1200-1600 does not mean anything.

Realistically, if you are okay with your rate of loss, I would look at it more as a recomposition thing rather than pure weight loss. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you're willing to be patient. Essentially, it appears to be what is going on anyways.

If you do decide to add cardio, I have found that doing it as a warm up for 20mins helps my muscles to loosen up so my lifts are better. Then I go on for another 10-15 after, depending on how I feel.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You've only lost 3.5lbs since December 14 because your body wasn't in large enough deficit. If your stronger than before, you may have added some muscle mass, so it's possible you've lost more than you think.

Unfortunately you need to create a deficit to see results, either cardio or reduced calories. How many calories do you eat per day?

I average around 1800-1900 per day. Sometimes less sometimes a little more. I just can't seem to get under that without being really hungry. So I'm not surprised I'm not losing faster! I'm just wondering if adding in cardio is the answer to burn more calories. I was hoping to hear of other people's experiences - I do realize that I need a deficit to lose fat.

If you're hungry you can always mess with your macros a bit too. Check your fiber to make sure it's high enough. Make you will like higher volume meals, or maybe you will like a decent amount of fat and lower volume. Take a step back and examine your diet. Also...protein fluff. 200 calories to fill you up like crazy before bed.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

If she is having trouble staying satisfied, why would dropping calories help? And just because your stream reflects 1200-1600 does not mean anything.

Realistically, if you are okay with your rate of loss, I would look at it more as a recomposition thing rather than pure weight loss. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you're willing to be patient. Essentially, it appears to be what is going on anyways.

It would help because she would see results.

Staying satisfied is likely a mental issue or lack of higher volume food. If she was really physically hungry she would have lost more than 3lbs since December.

With 30lbs to lose the weight should be dropping consistently, recomp isn't necessary.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Staying satisfied is likely a mental issue or lack of higher volume food. If she was really physically hungry she would have lost more than 3lbs since December.

With 30lbs to lose the weight should be dropping consistently, recomp isn't necessary.
    arditarose wrote: »

If you're hungry you can always mess with your macros a bit too. Check your fiber to make sure it's high enough. Make you will like higher volume meals, or maybe you will like a decent amount of fat and lower volume. Take a step back and examine your diet. Also...protein fluff. 200 calories to fill you up like crazy before bed.

I apologize because somehow I missed the 30lbs to lose, despite being in the first few sentences. So OP, I do agree that you should play around with macros. Protein and fiber, as stated, are often satisfying. Doing so will help meet calorie goals a little easier.

• Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I apologize because somehow I missed the 30lbs to lose, despite being in the first few sentences. So OP, I do agree that you should play around with macros. Protein and fiber, as stated, are often satisfying. Doing so will help meet calorie goals a little easier.

I agree, I could eat more fiber. Protein isn't an issue, I get between 80-100g per day. But I do tend to go for protein/fat based snacks more than veggies (fiber), so I do think getting more fiber would help.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I agree, I could eat more fiber. Protein isn't an issue, I get between 80-100g per day. But I do tend to go for protein/fat based snacks more than veggies (fiber), so I do think getting more fiber would help.

You can play with a bit higher on the protein as well if you like it. I do way high, almost above 1 gram per pound of body weight daily, but 1 gram per pound definitely keeps me feeling more full.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

THIS ^^^
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Everyday on my home stream I see dairies between 1200-1600 calories for most women.

If I was you I would add 3 sessions of cardio per week each burning 300 calories and I would drop calories to 1600. Based on what you said, this should result in a 1lb per week loss.

I agree with this 100% ^^^^- I know I am a day late but I want to weigh in on this topic. I am also a fairly new mom. I started strength training as well in 2014. I lost a lot in the beginning. I LOVE lifting. Love it. After lifting for about 6 months or so I stopped losing weight. I almost convinced myself that I was gaining muscle, but as the person mentioned above - couldn't really be very accurate. Once I cut my calories - the weight began to come off again. I do cardio about 3 days a week for about 20-30 mins - not leisurely walking on a treadmill. I make sure I break a sweat! Also, I hit maintenance at about 1800 cals. I try to eat at 1400cals/day.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also, my Fitbit (Charge HR) says I burn between 1900-2200 calories per day. So yeah, not much of a deficit going on. I'm thinking a few running sessions per week might help.

You either have to up your activity or drop your calories (or both) - it's really that simple.

1,500 is my sweet spot and yes I am hungry sometimes but it's not at the point of feeling starved or uncomfortable - it's a discomfort you have to get used to and try to combat with lots of water and foods high in fat and fiber to fill you up. 1,500 is also a low enough deficit where you don't need to spend a lot of time in the gym doing cardio and can just focus on strength training. Of course if you want to lose faster you should incorporate both.
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Think I'm going to scale my calories back to 1600, add a few cardio sessions, and see how that is!