How Do You Thwart Getting Late-Night-Snacky?!

I practice daily fasting between the hours of 8pm and noon the following day, but it gets SO hard, sometimes, because I'm such a night person and am up late, all the time. I'm curious to find out what other people do to conquer their late night cravings. The fasting has been excellent for my hiatus hernia and has really helped to reduce my morning nausea.

I do my best, but I'm sure there are tactics, perspectives or strategies I haven't thought of.

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    After dinner and clean up, I get a bottle for water and leave the kitchen. THEN, I announce, out loud, even though I may be home alone: " The kitchen is now Closed!" Sappy, I know, but it works for me. The kitchen is closed for the night, can't go in there, for any excuse....
  • LyssieLou
    LyssieLou Posts: 32 Member
    Hi, I am a terrible night snacker... I'm working on stopping and so far what's helped me is reading instead of internet or tv....when I'm online I always snack and especially watching tv... by reading I'm lying in bed, not near food. And I'm lost in my book, my mind doesn't go to food because I'm so lost in reading.... or if I'm actively cleaning or something... anything to keep my mind away from snacks... I crochet too haha keeps my hands busy and I have no free hand to snack with lol...hope this helps a little :)
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Honestly the only thing that works for me is going to sleep. I started working out early in the morning so that by the time 10pm rolls around, I pass out.
  • LyssieLou
    LyssieLou Posts: 32 Member
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Honestly the only thing that works for me is going to sleep. I started working out early in the morning so that by the time 10pm rolls around, I pass out.

I agree! Can't snack if you're sleeping : )
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    It is a habit that takes time for your body to adjust to- no eating between 8pm and noon ( for me the time frame is 7p-7a) after about 3 weeks you adjust and the mental fight is over for the most part.
  • PrincessClub
    PrincessClub Posts: 5 Member
    My evening routine is as follows: make dinner, eat dinner, go for a long walk, clean up the kitchen, then make a hot tea and relax.

The hot tea is a good substitute for the snacking I used to do during my nightly TV time and I'm less likely to want to dig around in the fridge if the kitchen is clean because in my mind it's "closed for the night!"
  • whitswilson
    whitswilson Posts: 17 Member
    katkins3 wrote: »
    After dinner and clean up, I get a bottle for water and leave the kitchen. THEN, I announce, out loud, even though I may be home alone: " The kitchen is now Closed!" Sappy, I know, but it works for me. The kitchen is closed for the night, can't go in there, for any excuse....

Hhahaha I LOVE THAT. Doin' it. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for... a tactic I, literally, would have never considered, otherwise. Thanks for this :) lol
  • whitswilson
    It is a habit that takes time for your body to adjust to- no eating between 8pm and noon ( for me the time frame is 7p-7a) after about 3 weeks you adjust and the mental fight is over for the most part.

That's some interesting insight- knowing this might help me push through harder.
  • whitswilson
    My evening routine is as follows: make dinner, eat dinner, go for a long walk, clean up the kitchen, then make a hot tea and relax.

The hot tea is a good substitute for the snacking I used to do during my nightly TV time and I'm less likely to want to dig around in the fridge if the kitchen is clean because in my mind it's "closed for the night!"

A walk and hot tea- I like that. So simple, eh? I can do that.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I'm also a night person.

I've been working on this for several years and have sort of trained myself out of the habit.

Sounds strange, but eating more earlier in the day seems to help. I try to have a substantial breakfast with a significant amount of protein. Being very well hydrated helps too.

For a while I was sleep eating--no more Ambien for me!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Why curb your snacking? Sub high-cal snacks for low-cal ones.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Why curb your snacking? Sub high-cal snacks for low-cal ones.

I tried that. For me, it's not so much that I'm actually hungry, it's that I want salty crunchy chips and I want them RIGHT NOW OR I'LL STARVE. Lower calorie/healthy snacks never made that voice shut up. So I'm working on just ignoring it (and not buying the crappy salty crunchy snacks).

I also sip a flavored magnesium powder before bed which also helps. That's become the cue for my body to start wrapping things up, it's almost bed time.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    This is why I changed my bed time. At night my ability to say "no" is significantly depleted from already having made decisions all day.

If I go to sleep, I can't eat.
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    If you're craving salty and crunchy foods at night out could indicate dehydration.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    I floss, brush my teeth and use one of those non-alcohol anti-plaque rinses. After all that I don't want to get my teeth scummy again and food tastes pretty icky for awhile anyway.
  • abbietaylor1
    abbietaylor1 Posts: 31 Member
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    I floss, brush my teeth and use one of those non-alcohol anti-plaque rinses. After all that I don't want to get my teeth scummy again and food tastes pretty icky for awhile anyway.

I agree with this - brushing teeth is a really good call. Having brushed my teeth I associate this with "not eating" as it is usually right before bed or after breakfast so the cravings deplete. Plus nothing tastes right after you have brushed your teeth!!
  • mamakimkim
    mamakimkim Posts: 20 Member
    Soy milk really tides me over. 8 oz of Organic Edensoy Extra Vanilla soy milk (tastes better than the others but not huge calories!) always feels like a satisfying treat and the protein in it will help you to feel sated
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I love dill pickles, and they're very low-calorie. They make a great snack, especially when I'm craving salty. If I'm craving sweet, I'll have a cup of decaf coffee with Splenda and some sugar free french vanilla creamer. Flavored water is also good (not a big coffee person in the warmer weather!).

Can I ask why you fast from 8 pm to noon? I would be ready to kill someone if I went that long without eating. Just want to understand your reasoning.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    I eat supper late in the evening (rarely before 8pm, as late as 10pm in the summer), then clean up and it's time for bed. If I'm done eating/cleaning up early, I work on a crochet project, paint or colour (33 years old, still love my colouring books). I'm usually in bed before 11pm.

• elainebinney
    elainebinney Posts: 5 Member
    I have a hiatus hernia too and interestingly salty foods seem to aggrovate it! I used to be a terrible night smacker. I found that changing my diet COMPLETELY led to me feeling fuller. Cous cous is a real filler for me and I keep some for snacking - a spoon or two fills me up!

Also, if you slice sweet potato/carrot/beetroot very thinly (using a potato peeler is good) lay the slices on a plate in one layer and microwave them, they turn into lovely crisps. You can put salt on them to itch that craving :smile: