Fitbit... Are they worth it??? Which do u reccomend???

Options
Hi like the title says realy, just wondering if these fitbits are worth getting?? And if so which would reccomend plz ? Cheers x

Replies

• dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a fitness tracker of some sort for motivation. I got mine last month and I love it (I have a fitbit Charge HR), I used to be a right exercise phobe but now I'm going to the gym 3 times a week and doing couch to 5k too.

I think having one gives you a better idea of your calories in vs calories out as opposed to what MFP gives you.
    I log my food in MFP though as they sync to each other.
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Charge HR as well and I love it. You can add friends on the app and set different challenges...definitely makes for some extra motivation to move. And it feels awesome to meet all the daily goals as well. Have had it since last June.
  • Shammah71
    Shammah71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is when I saw an article stating that about half of those purchasing the device stopped using it after a number of months. I hate throwing good money away, espeically if I al already posting my exerercise in MFP everyday already.
  • jay_mck
    jay_mck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I say no cause too many people over complicate fitness. If your training is on point, your nutrition is on point and your sleep is on point then maybe. but its just one more thing to worry about IMHO
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit charge since September and wear it all day everyday. I only need to charge the battery once a week. I usually do that overnight. Otherwise I like that sleep tracking it does. My wife has the charge HR which is worth the money if you need a heart rate monitor as well. It also syncs your steps to MFP very easily.
  • BarbaraRoseB
    BarbaraRoseB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bought a Misfit Flash -- paid about $20 on Amazon -- and bought a different band for it (French Bull, Vine pattern, also on Amazon). Not only is it much cheaper, but you can swim with it (waterPROOF), and you don't have to recharge it continually, because it operates on a battery that lasts six months. I love it, and it synchronizes with MFP. It was tricky to set up the synchronization, but I found instructions on the MFP/Misfit user group that worked. The data isn't as sophisticated as FitBits, but it tracks steps, calories, distance, and sleep. It also tracks other types of exercise (swimming, yoga, etc.) so you get "credit" for everything you do. There is a small learning curve, but I think it is SOOOO worth it and it is SOOO much less expensive than other trackers. It has great reviews in all kinds of publications and on websites. Check it out online.
  • alissajnorris1
    alissajnorris1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I fall the middle of everyone's opinions here. I've had a Fitbit Flex for a few years now and it has helped me a lot. I'm at the point now where I am doing activities that my fitbit is not registering (rowing, lifting) therefore it appears I am not doing enough exercise in a day. If i'm not actively logging these activities on MFP. It has turned into a negative thing if I am not running everyday. I think it just depends on the person you are and the type of activities you do.
  • Euclidus
    Euclidus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit (charge) for over a year and I absolutely love it. I wear it every day. I compete in weekly challenges with my fitbit friends and it's hugely motivational for me. It has helped me be much more active and really be mindful of how much time I spend sitting at my desk job. I would recommend it whole heartedly!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I loved the functionality but I will NEVER waste my money on their products again after my Charge disintegrated afer a couple months because of the shoddy rubber band design. Not sure what they were thinking and maybe it's been corrected but after feeling ripped off by a cheap design on a $200 product I've switched to Garmin.

As for the functionality, it's up there with the best but I think the VivoActive is better than the current top offering of the Fitbit in any event. I have a VivoActive and love it but I do think Fitbit is more accurate on calories burned for me but I'm only interested in the activity tracking and GPS features.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Shammah71 wrote: »
    My biggest fear is when I saw an article stating that about half of those purchasing the device stopped using it after a number of months. I hate throwing good money away, espeically if I al already posting my exerercise in MFP everyday already.

Just let customer service know. They send you a new one in case of loss or damage.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit surge and I love it. it tracks sleep patterns and syncs with MFP and WW. i can program the exercises that I do and l love not having to wear the chest strap. i get into the challenges and love seeing the badges. Good investment!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jay_mck wrote: »
    I say no cause too many people over complicate fitness. If your training is on point, your nutrition is on point and your sleep is on point then maybe. but its just one more thing to worry about IMHO

I would have said the same thing till I actually got an activity tracker. It's amazing what you can do with the extra informaiton if you are motivated to use it.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR. I love it. It's amazing to see how many steps you actually get in a day. I bet it's probably less than what you would guess!
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I bought my Charge HR in October. I love it. It definitely makes me more motivated to reach particular targets, and it is fun trying to compete against other people. I love all the statistics it gives me - and I knew when I bought it that I would be motivated by that. Depends on what motivates you I guess, but it works for me.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit by Garmin and I really enjoy it. I’m a data kinda guy, love to analyze data and the web interface allows that. Prior to an injury that I suffered in mid summer I was running a lot, I was running on the beach and on hard surface and I was able to look at the differences as well as how running in the AM differed from running in the PM all kinds of stuff! And I love stuff! :-)
    It also has a sleep monitor mode which I know is not a true indicator of my sleep patterns but it really does indicate when I have periods of deep sleep and light sleep.
    I also can look at a workout and interpret based on knowing what I was doing at a particular time interval which exercises get my HR higher than other exercises. Which given my age, schedule, and the lack of spare time, comes in very handy.
    I would suggest reading up on the ones that interest you first before making a decision.
    Good luck.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    lisachuter wrote: »
    Hi like the title says realy, just wondering if these fitbits are worth getting?? And if so which would reccomend plz ? Cheers x

Apple watch > all. I had a fitbit, a HRM ... Apple watch is by far the best device I've owned that tracks fitness and your heart rate.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I love my Flex, and have absolutely no regrets. Got it for Christmas, and it only comes off my wrist long enough to charge, once every 4 days or so. Someone up thread mentioned throwing away good money, which makes sense if you are one of those people that can't commit...but if you're the type to stick to something, and really want to see changes, this is for you. I was shocked at the numbers, they told the real truth about how much I move my body every day, and since getting mine, I've managed to move my numbers from Sedentary to Active. I was also shocked to see my sleep numbers, and have managed to increase my sleep from 4-5 hours each night, and now I'm getting 7-8. My whole day is better because of it. I challenge myself every single day, all day long!
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A vote for Fitbit Charge HR! Suits me down to the ground, especially now I have the teal one (and it was so great being able to move from a large to a small band).

I did no research before I got my first one though, FitBit Flex. I'd never really heard about trackers for general activity until the all-knowing Amazon floated an advert in front of my nose the very evening I was plugging my stats into MFP and finally taking weight loss seriously. It was on offer and seemed like it could be fun, so I went for it. I moved to Charge HR for updates on progress without syncing with my phone and I am smitten. I was at a loss without it for 4 days a couple of weeks ago (which probably means I need some sort of FitBit rehab).

I couldn't comment on the range of fitness wearables available now, but I am fully sold on the usefulness of them. You burn far more calories in all the time you are not exercising than when you are, so increasing your amount of 'non-exercise' activity (just walking around basically) makes a huge contribution to your calorie burn. It's a little wrist-based reminder to get up off your backside and walk the long way home!
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bought my husband a Fitbit Charge and he uses it everyday. I also have one but just bought an apple watch so I use that instead. My husband said it best when he said it may not be 100% accurate but it gives him an indication of his activity level and lets him know when he needs to step it up a little. JMO anyway.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my charge HR. It is brilliant. I can't recommend it enough if you need a little extra motivation.