OMEPRAZOLE - GERD - ACID REFLUX

Options
I have been taking omeprazole for a LONG time, years and now the news comes out about causing dementia or kidney problems and such. Anyway, I tried taking ranitidine and it didn't work at all. So today is the first day I am trying it without my omeprazole. Does anyone else use this and gotten off of it or know other ways to help? I am worried about Barrett's esophagus because of the burning. I always get the burning in my throat along with the horrible taste and then the cough and rattling that lasts for about a week. I so much want to get off the medicine but don't know how to replace it.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I suggest you talk with the medical Dr. who gave you the prescription.
    I used to have GERD and I was given a proton inhibitor for 6 months. I was also given a list of nutritional advise, what to eat and what to avoid in food.
    After 6 months the GERD was under control and I stopped the proton inhibitor
    What helped me:
    • Follow the doctor advice and the dietary guidelines
    • Eat last meal of the day 3 hours before bedtime
    • Exercise
    • Eat in moderation, not big portions, not in excess
    • I personally avoid citric juices (i.e. orange juice from concentrate, commercial lemonade, etc)
    The above may not work for you. I again suggest to consult your medical Dr
    Good luck
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DW and I both took PPIs for several years. We're both off of them now. After losing a combined 102 pounds neither of us have any issues anymore.

While I can't say it's related, we both eliminated processed foods from our diet. GERD just went away, was it weight or diet? Or something else? I don't have a clue. Good idea to talk with your doc.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been taking it for a few years as well. I hadn't heard about the dementia/kidney problems. wonderful. I am going to ask my doctor about this next time.

I think there might be some natural/herbal type remedies out there...I haven't researched them in a while, so I can't say specifically. Also, that would probably depend on the severity of your issue.

Since I've cut back on dairy/coffee in the past few months, I've really noticed that my stomach issues have decreased. I think it might have been an un- diagnosed lactose intolerance (I'm gonna get tested).
  • mforto
    mforto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my doctor about switching, and he suggested pepcid twice a day in place of the omeprazole. He said that eventually I may be able to decrease to once a day.
    As with anything, it's always good to check with your doctor first.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Be aware that this was an observational study only - it showed correlation in ELDERLY patients, but no proven causation. The authors state that further studies are needed.

You can read the abstract archneur.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2487379
  • 2katlover
    2katlover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well I talked to my doctor and she said it would be best to wean myself off of it. This has been my fourth day without taking omeprazole at all. Every once in a while I get the burning but I take Tums and that works. This morning I had tuna fish on toast and it has onions in it and it started burning so I guess onions will have to go. I thought maybe since I took it in the morning it wouldn't bother, but I was wrong. Anyway, if I have to take Tums every once in a while for a while, I can deal with that. Sure is awful getting old, gotta learn what foods NOT to eat any more. LOL. Thanks for all your input.

Jean.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Log your food religiously and put notes at the bottom.
    Keep in mind that antacids can reduce the acidity in your stomach.
    This could mean that the nutrients are not absorbed fully.
    Ask your doctor about taking a multivitamin for over 50 to get some extra b12 and vit d.