Alcohol Drinkers?

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
I know drinking calories is a bad idea, and so is alcohol but who all is still doing well loosing weight while enjoying a few (or many) drinks.

I go through periods where I may not drink for months, or years then drink 5 days a week for several weeks.

Just curious if anyone has no issues loosing and drinking, what and how much can you get away with?

Replies

• mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have no issues loosing when I'm drinking!! I do however find I need to limit my intake if I want to lose weight and drink ;) Sorry I'm really not a grammar nut, I just found that particular combination highly amusing.

I try to limit to 2 drinks, either wine or vodka soda with lime as both are low sugar options. If I drink beer or cider, I stick to a half pint at a time and drink soda water in between. If I'm within my daily calorie target, I will totally have a fancy cocktail, but I try to limit it to just one. Luckily other, calorie free, substances are legal in my state, so if I want to get really loose I can do so without sacrificing my calorie deficit!! (chewing gum is great for munchies)
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's the usual thing of making sure what you're drinking fits your desired calorie intake.
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    as many Maker's and diet cokes as can fit into my desired intake goal ;-) Maybe that's why I'm not doing so well, haha, I should move to where ever mmmpork lives.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You totally should, @amysmartin!! Moving to Portlandia is the thing right now I hear ;)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    We drink almost every weekend, and I've managed to drop just over 80 lbs...it's doable, I just make it fit into my goals. Being happy and having fun with hubby one and sometimes two nites a weekend is part of those goals <3
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    I have no issues loosing when I'm drinking!! I do however find I need to limit my intake if I want to lose weight and drink ;) Sorry I'm really not a grammar nut, I just found that particular combination highly amusing.

I try to limit to 2 drinks, either wine or vodka soda with lime as both are low sugar options. If I drink beer or cider, I stick to a half pint at a time and drink soda water in between. If I'm within my daily calorie target, I will totally have a fancy cocktail, but I try to limit it to just one. Luckily other, calorie free, substances are legal in my state, so if I want to get really loose I can do so without sacrificing my calorie deficit!! (chewing gum is great for munchies)

LOL..I see what you did there, and still giggling.....and I agree!
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    I know drinking calories is a bad idea, and so is alcohol but who all is still doing well loosing weight while enjoying a few (or many) drinks.

I go through periods where I may not drink for months, or years then drink 5 days a week for several weeks.

Just curious if anyone has no issues loosing and drinking, what and how much can you get away with?

As long as you can burn them off than go for it man. I enjoy my drinks as well and still lose.

"You might be a vet if you can drink til 0400 and do a ruck run at 0500"
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't do well on my diet when drinking. It's not only the wasted calories in the Drinks, but the bad eating decisions I make when I am drunk.
  • hmthequeenkayla
    hmthequeenkayla Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I don't do well on my diet when drinking. It's not only the wasted calories in the Drinks, but the bad eating decisions I make when I am drunk.

I'm there too! I can account for the beverage calories, but while I'm drinking, I just want cheese and crackers. :neutral:
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

2nd this.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i can't drink and lose weight. even if i eat spot on, the alcohol wreaks havoc on my metabolism and nothing goes well for me.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    When I was losing the bulk of my weight I would fit a glass or wine or two into my diary. I'd even be meticulous and measure it. Now I'm a little freer with the pouring
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    When I do drink, weekends only, I do keep track of it and I don't have any issues with it coming off. I usually get a bit longer and more difficult workout in the next day. Is always 5-8 cans of beer or 5-8 glasses of lemonade / dbl shots of Vodka.
  • dehegerty
    dehegerty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Among other things the problem with alcohol is that it tends to put burning of calories from food on pause and works on the alcohol calories therefore storing the food calories as "fat" It is the chemical make up of the alcohol that does this..Lots of information out there about alcohol and weight gain....I wish this was not so because I am a wine lover...but facts are facts...
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keeping within your calories and you should be fine is the standard answer

BUT

Alcohol seems to affect mood and overall eating decisions so much that it cant be looked at only in terms of calories. If you are going to drink I recommend picking 1 or 2 nights a week and having no more than 1-3 small drinks. Beyond that, and its going to be tough, generally speaking.