Question about shred

Options
Can someone help me. I have googled this but no joy.
I have done day 5 Level 1 of shred and my thighs still hurting when I do the front/side lunges. Is this normal?
My legs also feel quite tight when I walk and am wondering if that is because they are actually toning up. I am determined to do this as I have NEVER seen through an exercise programme before. With that in mind I have no idea what my body will feel like as it begins to tone. I stupdily didnt take any measurements as I could not find tape measure. I have not lost any weight (according to the scale)
Any thoughts?

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Mine hurt too, make sure you do the quad stretch at the very end for longer than she suggests to help them stretch a bit more. I have problems with them hurting and my calves hurting when i do jump rope.
  • armywife121110
    Options
    i could barely walk up and down the staires during the first week but it'll go away keep it up!!!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    it took me a good week before the pain went away.. mostly.
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are going to hurt! See if you can mix in some yoga and pilates in the evenings to stretch out those muscles. I have heard of people doing the first level for up to three weeks just based on their physique when they started. Hang in there. It gets better.
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    I am on day 20 of shred and since day 15, I've been alternating my days (like doing level 1 on tues/thurs/sun, level 2 on mon/sat, level 3 wed/fri) ... I started doing this because I was getting burnt out doing the same thing for so many days in a row.

Anyways, yes, I am sore and tight just like you explain.... I found that I personally have to stretch for a much longer time than Jillian allows on the segment.
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    Yes, stretch till YOU feel comfortable, I stretch longer than she does. And drink lots of water to help flush out the lactic acid which causes soreness. Good for you for starting it, I am on level 3 and can't wait to be done with it! :ohwell:
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, in the main its something called DOMS, it should be more ache then pain but its just (just she says) muscle fatigue, you're using muscles that you haven't used regularly and putting them through a daily workout, as you become more use to the workout the less you feel, there is something called muscle memory and it means the aches subside and the muscles get use to what you are doing and of course become more conditioned and toned. just stick with it its a fab workout and well worth the results. Make sure you drink plenty of water as this will help flush out the muscles and prevent cramping.

enjoy x
  • cianna11
    cianna11 Posts: 19
    Options
    Ok...that's great. I was wondering. I can walk down the stairs the next day without grimacing so progress is being made. Just wasnt sure if the pain element should have gone during the workout by now. Thank you for the replies
  • AKAngi
    AKAngi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters...soreness is normal, but she only really does a couple minutes of stretching at the beginning, and a couple minutes of stretching at the end of each workout. I recommend stretching WAY more than this...holding a leg stretch for 20 seconds on each side isn't nearly sufficient to thoroughly stretch out your muscle and prevent as much soreness as possible. If you don't know how to stretch, I recommend Googling some pre- and post-workout stretching routines (at least 5-10 minutes before and after), and doing those instead of Jillian's.

Good luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did the shred for 30 days straight and I got stronger but my skinny jeans felt tighter, I think because of the muscle in my butt and thighs. The scale didn't change for me. I don't think you can't expect to lose much unless you get strict with your diet because it's really only 20 minutes of exercise. Better than nothing...