Fitbit... Are they worth it??? Which do u reccomend???

Options
2»

Replies

• mariaeli93
    mariaeli93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Shammah71 wrote: »
    My biggest fear is when I saw an article stating that about half of those purchasing the device stopped using it after a number of months. I hate throwing good money away, espeically if I al already posting my exerercise in MFP everyday already.
    Ive had mine for over a year and i liiivveee by it. Ever since i got it ive never stopped looking at it and using it for guidance. I think it has a lot to do with what kind of motivation you have, i guess. I do find that it tracks my calories a lot better than just estimates on MFP
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Charge HR have a ton of hardware issues. The band falls apart over time. You check into this if you plan to buy this Fitbit device. Other Fitbits that doe not use this actual deisgn are better.

I use a garmin vivosmart and love mine however I have preordered the Fitbit Blaze for my husband but this hardware design is not the same as the Charge.
  • HelloAgainJen
    HelloAgainJen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I have had a Fitbit Flex since September 2013.

Its considered an older model now but I like that the actual fitbit device and the band are 2 separate items. If one breaks, the other piece is still useable. I like switching out bands from time to time (can't do that with the new one's). And I have a nickel allergy. So I can replace their metal clasp with a plastic one bought off ebay for a few dollars. I believe this is the only model I can do that with too.

I love the features of counting stairs and heart rate, which the flex does not have. That is the only downside.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip, the lowest Fitbit model, that clips on to your waistband or goes in your pocket. I bought it because my skin is so sensitive I can't even wear a watch so I was pretty sure I couldn't wear one of the wrist Fitbits either. I've had mine almost a year and I really like getting feedback about how active (or not) I've been. It really does motivate me to get up and move and try to beat yesterday's steps and active minutes.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    lisachuter wrote: »
    Hi like the title says realy, just wondering if these fitbits are worth getting?? And if so which would reccomend plz ? Cheers x

Apple watch > all. I had a fitbit, a HRM ... Apple watch is by far the best device I've owned that tracks fitness and your heart rate.

I freaking LOVE my Apple Watch. It's helped me lose 70 lbs. It's funny--I'm a musician and the other night I showed up for a rehearsal--the conductor was already there. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years but noticed he was wearing one too, and he had lost 80 lbs.

I know a lot of people who have bought Fitbits and had them stop working in less than a year. They don't seem to be made very well. And yes, you can call customer service and get them replaced, but the replacements break too. I stay far away from Fitbit based on all the people I've seen get frustrated by the product.

But in general, yes, wearables like the Fitbit, the Apple Watch, and all the others can be FANTASTIC tools if you use them correctly and don't expect them to work miracles. What I don't like about Fitbit is that they have perpetuated this myth that if you just get your 10,000 steps in every day, you will be healthy and lose weight. That is 100% not true. You can eat back 10,000 steps worth of burned calories in minutes. You can also walk 10,000 steps and have over half of them not be truly good calorie burning activity.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I have a polar loop, but also have had a fitbit. For me, my hatred of technology and ensuing complications, makes it not worth it. Honestly, I prefer my hrm for exercise, and my $10 pedometer for steps. btw, both the loop and the fitbit give steps for rocking in a rocking chair for what that's worth. My fave chair, so throws me off quite a bit--4000 steps per movie.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip, the lowest Fitbit model, that clips on to your waistband or goes in your pocket. I bought it because my skin is so sensitive I can't even wear a watch so I was pretty sure I couldn't wear one of the wrist Fitbits either. I've had mine almost a year and I really like getting feedback about how active (or not) I've been. It really does motivate me to get up and move and try to beat yesterday's steps and active minutes.

Me too, which is why I bought the One. And I love it. I'm a numbers and data geek so I get a real kick out of seeing all the stats and graphs. And it definitely motivates me to get up and move more to try and beat my previous day's totals.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have my Fitbit for over 2 yrs, I really like it as it makes me get up and move consistently and I like how it calculates my total daily burn which has been pretty accurate for me :smile: It contributed to helping me lose my final 5lbs and maintaining my goal weight since then.

(had the Flex first and now the One - I like that the One is discreet and clips inside my bra so its hidden from view)
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've got the Flex and love it, I find it's really motivating.
  • lisachuter
    lisachuter Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow u guys are great thankyou for ur opinions and recommendations ...... Oooopsy ive just orderd my fitbit charge hr in plum B) cheers xx
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Shammah71 wrote: »
    My biggest fear is when I saw an article stating that about half of those purchasing the device stopped using it after a number of months. I hate throwing good money away, espeically if I al already posting my exerercise in MFP everyday already.

I have had mine for over 3 years and I have worn it pretty much every day since I got it.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I just pulled my Flex back out and started using it again. I plan to buy the Fitbit Blaze when it comes out next month. It's more of a smartwatch and it reads heartrate. It has the same features as the Surge but without the GPS (I don't really need the GPS, but if I do at some point, I can just use my phone). I did a lot of comparisons between it and the Apple Watch and just decided the Blaze is the one I want. They aren't any good, though, if you don't wear them and actually review the data and use it, so if you think you'll just stick it on your wrist and forget about it, don't waste your money.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I got my Charge HR last October, but I only really started using it in January. Love it, Love it, Love it!
    I've never been a competitive person, but now I find myself saying things like "I'm going out for a walk- Mango is 800 steps ahead!"
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbits. I had the One first and enjoy it because it's more discreet and I can use it during my games where you're not supposed to have any accessories on (oopsie) but recently I got a Charge HR and love it for day to day stuff.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit One for free from work (yay raffle) and thought "Ok, cool. But I'll never use it." It sat on my desk for a year before I busted it out and finally started using it. That was 8 months ago. I've never gone a day without it (ok, I forgot to put it on once or twice). I honestly had no idea how many calories a day I burned until I started wearing it. I highly recommend you get one and try it for a few months, if for no other reason than to have a rough idea of your calorie output.

I don't think you need a "Fitbit" brand name persay, shop around and see what you like. FYI, I use my hands a lot at work so I'm glad I ended up with a clip one. Don't want my typing to be interpreted as steps.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a One- I love it. Love is an understatement. I've taken it off only a handful of times in the three years I've owned it other than to charge (while I'm in the shower and then back on it goes).

I like that it's more discreet than wrist trackers. I wear it on my bra or neckline. I wore it under my wedding dress, that's how devoted I am to it.

But I'm a data person and a completionist, and I knew that going in. If you tend to have brief enthusiasms and then drop stuff, it may not be that useful for you.

I have learned a lot about my activity levels and it has definitely pushed me to walk more, much more. Probably 25-30% of my walking since getting the Fitbit is down to me feeling motivated to hit goals and compete with friends.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I really want one too. But I don't exercise at all. At least not yet. I have a lot to lose and work on my feet 50+ hours a week. I'm literally worn out by the time I get home. Heck I'm worn out before I go in most of the time. That'll change as I get some more of this weight off. I have Pacer linked to MFP for steps.

I don't think I'd really benefit from a tracker/hrm right now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't like the HRM ones ...I doubt the readings ..but if it makes the difference to others actually moving and more then I have no huge objection...they are just so widely misunderstood that it makes my brain ache

I love my Fitbit zip ...small, unobtrusive and accurate and use it to guard my basic activity level based on step based activity ...and use a Polar FT4 with chest strap HRM for specific workouts