From 302 to 200.... Questions.

I will be 40 in April while looking at my old army day photos I said "it is time"

I have some very fit friends, and an older brother who is my "coach" but I would love to hear how you all did it. Currently I am 2-5 miles on a treadmill 3-3.5mph, random hills to 7.8 incline. And eating less food, using food as fuel is my alert my phone sends me every few waking hours (mind over matter, changing a mentality I had for a lifetime will take some reminding)

I have cleared my home of most junk and replaced it with decently healthy but affordable foods. Anything you can help me with will be fantastic, those who have done it can say from experience those that have never done it cannot understand.

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    There's no secret. Just plain patience, persistence and dedication.

You don't need to eat less food to lose weight. You need to eat less calories. There's a difference. Example: If you need to be within 1500 calories per day to lose weight, you can eat a lot more food in weight like broccoli, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc (lots of food, but low calorie), but you may only eat one value meal from McD's (low amounts of food, high calorie).

In your mfp goals, set your current and goal weight. Get a food scale. Weigh/measure everything you eat. Add in exercise if you like because losing weight is about calories, not exercise. Do this until you reach goal weight. Simple as that.

Thank me later.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Hello and welcome. I have lost nearly 70 lbs in almost a year. All I did was change how I look at food and eat it, I mostly walk for exercise, I get between 15k to 25k in a day. I weigh all my food, food scale is very important. Sounds like you are very committed. Keep pushing forward :)
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Hello and welcome. I have lost nearly 70 lbs in almost a year. All I did was change how I look at food and eat it, I mostly walk for exercise, I get between 15k to 25k in a day. I weigh all my food, food scale is very important. Sounds like you are very committed. Keep pushing forward :)

Yes I quit a 2 pack a day habit because it was time to get in shape lost 40 pounds or so since then (over a year ago June 6th 2014) just by cutting out drink calories. Now I am starting to real push with added exercise and eating as fuel not as a reward. Thanks for the words!
  • lostgoals
    edited February 2016

You don't need to eat less food to lose weight. You need to eat less calories. There's a difference. Example: If you need to be within 1500 calories per day to lose weight, you can eat a lot more food in weight like broccoli, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc (lots of food, but low calorie), but you may only eat one value meal from McD's (low amounts of food, high calorie).

Agreed I am eating more now than I did before but better! I haven't been hungry at all and will not stop, this isn't a diet this is the new life I have chosen for myself.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Cut out empty calories like refined sugar regular and diet soda, potato chips anything with empty calories. Drink at least 8 glass of water a day. Set small goals stay focused. You can ad me ad a friend.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It sounds like you haven't already shown some success and could offer the rest of us some advice. My only comment is that weight is just one metric. I also ask myself "how do I feel today?" The goal is to feel terrific as much as possible in body and mind.
  • lostgoals
    It sounds like you haven't already shown some success and could offer the rest of us some advice. My only comment is that weight is just one metric. I also ask myself "how do I feel today?" The goal is to feel terrific as much as possible in body and mind.

Day two of my new lifestyle I planned on hitting the gym for 2 miles after work but needed to stop by the store first. As I was putting the couple items in my trunk my mind said "we did extra this morning so maybe this evenings can be skipped" When that thought crossed my mind I was upset with myself and went to the gym and did 3 miles.

Yes I can motivate myself, but I cannot do it alone. Almost everything I am doing I was taught by another, and every person here has a unique experience that I can gain inspiration, knowledge, and willpower from.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    When I lost 65 pounds last year, I did it by eating between 1200-1400 calories per day. Also, eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day. Having my macros at about 50-25-25. Making sure I had fresh veggies each day. Adding in exercise - walking, elliptical, exercise videos, free weights. And, getting a fitbit - because it's fun. I allowed myself to have foods that I liked - just less of them. Like it's ok if I want half/half in my coffee with regular sugar - because it all tastes better - IMO. And, being patient. Not only relying on the scale - because sometimes it doesn't move - yet you getting thinner. Having a group of people to talk with helps - and logging your food every day. Doing research on nutrition and exercise, too.