How to manage appetite increase when starting birth control pills? Will it go away??

Options
A bit of backstory--

I am currently 22 years old and been successfully maintaining a 75 lb weight loss. I began taking generic Loestrin (1.5/30, the lowest possible dose I can take without constant breakthrough bleeding) a few years ago while at the tail end of my weight loss and didn't have trouble losing weight while taking it. In fact, I was so nauseous the first few weeks of taking it I probably lost more.

I stopped because I wasn't sexually active and wondered if they might be slowing down my weight loss at all... They didn't seem to, but I didn't want to start them again and endure the nausea.

One week to the day I started taking the same brand again, which I started on day one of my period. I am happy to say I have had no issues with dizziness, nausea, or loss of sensation during sex like before.

Unfortunately, my appetite seems to have skyrocketed. I am constantly hungry, even immediately after I've eaten one of my usual meals... Which are often either complex carbs, healthy fats, or voluminous high fiber veggies. The only think I've been able to do to take the edge off (albeit just a teensy bit) is drink more water and tea. It's absolutely miserable, and I have no idea how long it will last.

I've tried drinking apple cider vinegar, and will also try taking one or two psyllium husk capsules during the day to see if it helps, but I'm already very regular and really don't like the idea of adding even more fiber to my diet.

I don't know that I can hold out for much longer, has anybody else experienced this? How long did it last? I know you're supposed to give it 3 months and see how you're body adjusts, but I'd like to know if any of you have noticed your appetite return to normal after that time. Also any tips to increase satiety would be wonderful! :(:s

Replies

• cbeau1991
    cbeau1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to take Loestrin too! High five! Ended up stopping because my insurance didn't cover it, but I liked it for the most part.

My experience was that I would vacillate between being so nauseous that I thought I would throw up to being ravenous. It will go away. For me, it was a few weeks. Drinking tons of water and eating small low calorie snacks (like 140 cal granola bars with protein) both worked.
  • rosesandsuch
    rosesandsuch Posts: 39 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cbeau1991 wrote: »
    I used to take Loestrin too! High five! Ended up stopping because my insurance didn't cover it, but I liked it for the most part.

My experience was that I would vacillate between being so nauseous that I thought I would throw up to being ravenous. It will go away. For me, it was a few weeks. Drinking tons of water and eating small low calorie snacks (like 140 cal granola bars with protein) both worked.

Thanks for responding... I'm kinda tripping out about this, for breakfast today I had 1/3 cup oatmeal and shredded zucchini with chia seeds, a cup of sliced bananas, and egg whites which normally makes me super full and I still feel like I haven't even had breakfast yet. Hopefully more people can attest to the side effects going away :neutral:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I desperately miss taking Loestrin. It was by far my favorite pill, but unfortunately it started causing my skin in certain places to become friable. I never had any side effects with it - no nausea or appetite issues.

You said you started taking it the first day of your period, could the hunger be related to time of the month? Have you changed anything else like exercise habits?
  • rosesandsuch
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I desperately miss taking Loestrin. It was by far my favorite pill, but unfortunately it started causing my skin in certain places to become friable. I never had any side effects with it - no nausea or appetite issues.

You said you started taking it the first day of your period, could the hunger be related to time of the month? Have you changed anything else like exercise habits?

I had noticed a slight weight increase before even beginning the pill (I was hovering around 125-128 wheras now it's usually 130-135) because I hadn't been as diligent with logging my meals and had just begun school so I was skipping the gym more. Back at it now though!

I also probably gained a bit bc I thought the hunger was related to my period/pms... which I usually give in to because it's temporary, then I realized it wasn't going away, and my period is almost over :(

I like this pill, like I said I've taken it before but it was a different generic (Junel Fe 1.5/30 before vs Gildesse Fe 1.5/30 now) so I have no clue why it's affecting me so differently.
  • rosesandsuch
    Options
    Seriously guys it's getting worse, my stomach is in physical pain unless I have some type of food in my mouth, and I'm not giving in to it but it's so frustrating and scary. Over 60 people have seen this post and nobody has any advice?! Please help!!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It can often take a few months to get used to a new hormonal BC pill, including rapidly losing or gaining a few pounds as changes in water weight occur in response to different or fluctuating hormone levels. If you like the BC otherwise, you may want to stick with it for a few months (3-4) and see if your body starts to regulate. Maybe try to increase your intake of lower-sodium liquids to help combat the hunger for a while? Tea, water, vegetable broth-based soups before a meal to feel fuller for longer amounts of time? (Also, you didn't mention if you became sexually active again - just verify that pregnancy isn't a possibility.)

However, I'd talk to your doctor about this and other side effects if it's really bothersome (and it sounds like it is). She may have a similar option for you to try that causes fewer side effects. There are many pill variations available these days, and your doc should work with you to find one that suits you and doesn't cause unpleasant issues. I am sorry you're having problems!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It is probably just a current disbalance in your hormones. It should go away within 2 months or so, if it doesn't and you start noticing other changes as well, I would advise you to talk to your doctor, because those pills might not be for you anymore.
  • rosesandsuch
    edited February 2016
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Maybe try to increase your intake of lower-sodium liquids to help combat the hunger for a while? Tea, water, vegetable broth-based soups before a meal to feel fuller for longer amounts of time? (Also, you didn't mention if you became sexually active again - just verify that pregnancy isn't a possibility.

I've had a bottle of water or tea in my hand all day every day, it unfortunately does almost nothing to help the hunger pain, it only stops me from eating.

I am sexually active but haven't relied on just the pill for protection ever, I always use a condom... and I just had my period.
  • rosesandsuch
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    It is probably just a current disbalance in your hormones. It should go away within 2 months or so, if it doesn't and you start noticing other changes as well, I would advise you to talk to your doctor, because those pills might not be for you anymore.

Thanks, I might ask the pharmacy if they can get my old generic back, I know there isn't supposed to be a difference between them but that's all I can think of that's changed.