Eating Too Much Dinner/Hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with eating huge dinners and still do. I just drastically reduce my cals during the day. Eggs, and salads work best for me during the day. This does not always happen tho, but I still end up having large dinners. So, what I know about myself is no matter if I eat more cals during the day or less cals during the day, I eat large dinners. So, I am for less cals during the day. Yes, I think you may want to try for more veggies and a lean protein at lunch. I would eat alittle cheese and/or raw veggies while u r cooking. Just try different things and eventually u will find what works best for you. And drink water with your snack while cooking dinner. It seems to help me. Good Luck!
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try a lower cal protein bar with a coffee to take the edge off the hunger around 2:30pm. It works for me and I am not so ravenous at suppertime.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your supposed to have breakfast though I usually don't as I always end up as hungry or hungrier if I do. I completely relate to big dinners. I've lost quite a bit of weight but this habit made that just that bit harder but it comes down to how much you eat and overeating is what causes weight gain. You do metabolise differently when you sleep though so it is a good idea to not eat heavily before sleeping.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your supposed to have breakfast though I usually don't as I always end up as hungry or hungrier if I do. I completely relate to big dinners. I've lost quite a bit of weight but this habit made that just that bit harder but it comes down to how much you eat and overeating is what causes weight gain. You do metabolise differently when you sleep though so it is a good idea to not eat heavily before sleeping.

If you don't like to eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast.

It comes down to how many calories you eat on average over the course of the week. If you don't eat breakfast, that's basically 16:8 intermittent fasting. That's a totally valid way to eat. Some people eat 5:2 so they have two low calorie days and five maintenance days. Also totally valid.

It's the overall calories that count, not when you eat them.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Definitely ditch the 2 lbs/week. You need sustainability above all else. I just adjusted my goal recently from 1.5 to 1 lb/week and the 200 extra calories makes all the difference. I have been unintentionally letting myself get too hungry before dinner and have been running up a couple hundred calories snacking while cooking. It's dumb really... if I just ate an 80 cal. greek yogurt, I'd be good and it wouldn't cost me near as much as the snacking. I'm with you on the big dinners, though :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I hate that 30-60 minutes that I have to wait for dinner. I have tactics. I clean the house, I drink a cup of tea, do my nails and I allow myself to nibble on raw vegetables only. They also act as a kind of starter and stop me over binging. I get these crunchy snow peas, and have a carrot.

I also cook exactly enough for 2/3 portions, one for me, my son, and lunch the next day.

I'm still hungry for 20 minutes after dinner too, so I wash the dishes, make a decaff coffee and sit down with a bowl of full fat greek yoghurt with golden syrup and raisins.

Then I'm happy. I brush my teeth, and that's the signal that food is finished for 12 hours.

• kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    socrmommy wrote: »
    kdblpn wrote: »
    I start my calories at 3pm so i can have the extra calories for dinner..then i adjust what i eat the next day for breakfast and lunch so i can stay under my calories for the 24 hours

Can you explain further??!? That sounds really interesting

I work night shift so i get up at 3pm. I start my calories for the day at 3pm. That is the reason I started logging like this. However i soon realized when i would switch to logging from midnight to midnight on my days off that i would be over on calories. Reason being, i love dinner meals and a snack around 10pm. So at 3pm everyday i start counting my calories for the day. I eat dinner with my family...usually whatever they are having but healthier versions or smaller portions. Then if i am feeling like a bedtime snack i have one....Then i go to bed and when i get up the next morning i have a small breakfast (i dont care for breakfast foods to much) and then i see how many calories i have left for snacks and lunch. I adjust my menu accordingly. Even if i dont have alot of calories left for a decent size meal for lunch, my calories start over at 3pm so its not that big of deal to me. It is alot easier for me to distract myself from food in the middle of the afternoon then at night. Remember if u r going to log this way then you log dinner and any snacks you have on todaya diary and the next morning when u wake up and eat breakfast you have to go back and log it on yesterdays diary, same with lunch. Then your evening meal will start your new diary.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    What are you "snacking" on while cooking? If it's vegetables, you're fine. If it's other stuff that is high in fat or sugar or is high calorie, that could be what's sabotaging you.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If I understood correctly your problem is starving by the time you get home and then snacking while making dinner.
    My advice would be to have some healthy low calorie snack ready to grab when you get home. Some fruits, or veggies with some yogurt. If you eat a low calorie snack you won't have to lower your dinner calories too much, and you won't be going over your goal.
  • ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was in your boat, until I started bumping up the lean protein in the am and at lunch. Maybe add an egg-white or 2 to the 1 your already eating with your English muffin...more protein with only a few added calories..
  • socrmommy
    socrmommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    socrmommy wrote: »
    I start my calories at 3pm so i can have the extra calories for dinner..then i adjust what i eat the next day for breakfast and lunch so i can stay under my calories for the 24 hours

Can you explain further??!? That sounds really interesting

I work night shift so i get up at 3pm. I start my calories for the day at 3pm. That is the reason I started logging like this. However i soon realized when i would switch to logging from midnight to midnight on my days off that i would be over on calories. Reason being, i love dinner meals and a snack around 10pm. So at 3pm everyday i start counting my calories for the day. I eat dinner with my family...usually whatever they are having but healthier versions or smaller portions. Then if i am feeling like a bedtime snack i have one....Then i go to bed and when i get up the next morning i have a small breakfast (i dont care for breakfast foods to much) and then i see how many calories i have left for snacks and lunch. I adjust my menu accordingly. Even if i dont have alot of calories left for a decent size meal for lunch, my calories start over at 3pm so its not that big of deal to me. It is alot easier for me to distract myself from food in the middle of the afternoon then at night. Remember if u r going to log this way then you log dinner and any snacks you have on todaya diary and the next morning when u wake up and eat breakfast you have to go back and log it on yesterdays diary, same with lunch. Then your evening meal will start your new diary.

Thank you so much! That makes sense!!!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When you come home starving for dinner, I suggest a packet of string cheese or a mini-babybel. The protein will help the big hunger pains until you get to dinner. It should also help you to have a smaller portion of dinner (with more protein, which is good for satiation). Try to train yourself to eat your dinner until you are no longer hungry, rather than stopping only when you are full. Take leftovers for lunch the next day.