Questions

Options
Does tea count as water?

Should I wait until a lost some weight to lift weights? I was taught way back before I went into the army that cardio cardio cardio is the way to lose weight.

I can't always eat over 1200 calories... Is that bad?

Unrelated question...Who here is on Fetlife?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. Tea is made with water and you can count it toward your intake.
    2. Cardio is good for your heart, endurance, and creates a larger calorie deficit, but a resistance program is the key to muscle retention and body composition. You should incorporate resistance training as soon as you can.
    3. Without the use of a food scale, you're probably eating a lot more than you think. It's common to lose your appetite at the start of a weight loss program, but it won't last. You obviously were able to eat more than 1200 at some point. Also, as a man you shouldn't be eating 1200 or less; 1500 is the recommended minimum for men.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. The caffeine really has little diuretic effect to counteract the water
    A calorie deficit is the way to lose weight. Cardio is for heart and lung health, but weights are pretty important to retaining muscle as you lose. So definitely start ASAP.
    As a male, you should be eating no less than 1500. Add in some calorie dense foods (nuts, avocados, full fat dairy products) to get your total up.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Use a digital food scale and weigh all solid food in grams, use a good set of measuring cups and spoons and measure all liquids that do not provide corresponding gram weight on the label, choose accurate food items from the Food Database, be honest and record *everything* (even those little bites you might take here and there - if you can't or won't log it, it should not go in your mouth).

I am 5'8" and got back up to 155 lbs. and wanted to take off a few pounds. On average, I ate and logged 1900 Cals of food and drink per day; plus walked, exercised, and logged about 350 Cals of cardiovascular per day (tracked by my Fitbit), for a net of 1550 Cals per day; and I lost about 1 pound per week.

I would strongly suggest that you net at least 1500 Cals per day, so that you have adequate nutrition to fuel your daily activities. Depending on your height and current weight, you may be able to net even more than 1500 Cals per day, provided you don't underestimate your food intake, overestimate your exercise Calories burned, or both.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    lol at no one answering his 'unrelated' question.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    lol at no one answering his 'unrelated' question.

I answered it in my head ;-)