Shin splints & Exercise.

Options
RozzeleS
RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started running at the start of this year and my shins started hurting a few weeks ago I put it down to muscle aches as they've not been used (to this extent) for a while but they gradually got worse.

I'm going to get fitted for some new running shoes once my leg can handle the treadmill testing, and am going to ice it every night to help the healing process, but can anybody recommend the best exercise' I can continue doing in the mean time?

I don't want to stop exercising altogether but I don't want to aggravate it anymore and end up having to take time out completely.

Replies

• happyhelenr
    happyhelenr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello RozzelleS . I understand using some form of cold press on a regular basis on your shins may help - better than taking pain killers! I always try the natural method of addressing pain :)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

Yes shin splints can be frustrating. Allow me to recommend stopping any running until the pain has stopped. Running while experiencing shin splints will only make the problem worse and eventually lead to STRESS FRACTURES (tiny Cracks in the bone). So be patient and do some weight lifting in the meantime. Take the time to strengthen your leg muscles allowing for equal work to calve muscles, quads, hamstrings and glutes and CORE.

Preventative Exercises :

1.) Sit straight on a chair and keep feet flat on ground. Now lift and tap your feet on the ground as if you are tapping to music. Do this until you feel some fatigue in your muscles. Stop. Rest. Repeat :) this strengthens the front part of your shins

2.) Using a tennis ball or golf ball. Self massage the bottoms of your feet applying some pressure. This will release tension.

3.) RICE

R - Rest
    I - Ice
    C- Compression
    E - Elevation

Again very important to stop running or performing high impact activities until the shin splints plain are gone.
    Work on correcting any muscle imbalances.
    -Choose running shoes with plenty of support.
    -Many people run in NIKE Frees experience shin splints.
    -Lower the volume of running. Often runners get shin splints from adding too much distance too quickly.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had crippling shin splints last year. I can tell you ice, compression socks, and meds did nothing. You're already doing some things right. Stop running until the pain is gone. Getting fitted for running shoes is definitely a must! Once you've healed start small and work up to longer distances. How many miles a week are you averaging now? If rest and new shoes don't make the problem go away, then it's time to start looking at what you're running on as being a possible cause/contributer.

This year I'm back to running and training for a 25K. I'm running faster and farther than I was able to last year but my shoes and running surface hasn't really changed. 2 things have changed for me though. I weigh about 20lbs less than I did last year. I also don't stretch much if at all immediately following my run. But I DO spend 30-60mins doing deep stretches or yoga later that day or the next day. Idk, running is trial and error because everybody's body is different. I've been working through my bad body mechanices (low arches :() for years. Don't give up!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As the question was what alternatives then I'd suggest swimming or cycling, particularly if you clip in to the pedals as that should help to compensate for the muscle imbalance that may contribute to the injury.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with @ironhajee. From my own experience, I recommend using compression socks, which helped me immensely. I also used a foam roller to help with the myofascial release of my lower leg muscles. These, combined with drastically lowering my mileage to allow my body to heal and getting fitted for proper running shoes helped speed the healing process along.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    RozzeleS wrote: »
    I started running at the start of this year and my shins started hurting a few weeks ago I put it down to muscle aches as they've not been used (to this extent) for a while but they gradually got worse.

I'm going to get fitted for some new running shoes once my leg can handle the treadmill testing, and am going to ice it every night to help the healing process, but can anybody recommend the best exercise' I can continue doing in the mean time?

I don't want to stop exercising altogether but I don't want to aggravate it anymore and end up having to take time out completely.

Drink tonic water pre-workout!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Hello there,

Yes shin splints can be frustrating. Allow me to recommend stopping any running until the pain has stopped. Running while experiencing shin splints will only make the problem worse and eventually lead to STRESS FRACTURES (tiny Cracks in the bone). So be patient and do some weight lifting in the meantime. Take the time to strengthen your leg muscles allowing for equal work to calve muscles, quads, hamstrings and glutes and CORE.

Preventative Exercises :

1.) Sit straight on a chair and keep feet flat on ground. Now lift and tap your feet on the ground as if you are tapping to music. Do this until you feel some fatigue in your muscles. Stop. Rest. Repeat :) this strengthens the front part of your shins

2.) Using a tennis ball or golf ball. Self massage the bottoms of your feet applying some pressure. This will release tension.

3.) RICE

R - Rest
    I - Ice
    C- Compression
    E - Elevation

Again very important to stop running or performing high impact activities until the shin splints plain are gone.
    Work on correcting any muscle imbalances.
    -Choose running shoes with plenty of support.
    -Many people run in NIKE Frees experience shin splints.
    -Lower the volume of running. Often runners get shin splints from adding too much distance too quickly.

in addition to this i highly recommend self myofascial release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hia4yR5j1xw
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    As the question was what alternatives then I'd suggest swimming or cycling, particularly if you clip in to the pedals as that should help to compensate for the muscle imbalance that may contribute to the injury.

I agree and to add I would say some low impact strength training may help with any muscle imbalances (if present)
  • RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I was following a train to 10k but I have a habit of running before I walk so to speak and instead of 3 training sessions a week I was doing 4/5 and always that bit further then was advised I was averaging about 25m a week, some walking but mainly jogging or interval so everything you've said about too far too quick makes sense..

I have stopped running already, and am sitting with ice an hours a day, I sit in an office 7 hours a day so will try these exercise', It's my first day back in the gym since I admitted defeat on running so today so I'm going to go back to weight lifting and swimming for few weeks, then get fitted for some new trainers.

Thank you everyone for the information was feeling a little defeated but feeling positive again :)