New Crock Pot.. Now what do i do?

Options
So I've always use the oven or the grill and of course stove top but never a crock pot.
Can anyone give me some ideas as to how to use this thing for a family of 4? And still be healthy?

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    There are great crock pot recipes on sparkpeople.com
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Chili!!! That's all I can make in my crock pot... haha. But Hungry Girl (www. hungry-girl.com) has a great low calorie recipe. I just swap out the vegetarian beef substitute with real ground beef. It's still healthy and delicious.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    bump....I want to see the respones!!!
  • erica_nicole
    erica_nicole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like to get several boneless skinless chicken breasts and stick them in for a couple hrs on high and then a couple on low. They get so soft and easy to shred, then mix them with Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce..mmmm!
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Google 365 Crockpot (or something...) there was a lady who took a year and made something new in her crockpot every day. It was in, like, 2006 but last I checked, the site was still up and running.

I always like to put a couple frozen chicken breasts in the bottom and dump a cup or two of salsa (any kind will do) over the top, leave it on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-8ish... then shred it up and use it on tacos, enchiladas, etc. Yum!

Good luck!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    My favorite crock pot meal: chilli!
  • oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    OMG turkey chili !
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    I do the chicken & salsa too.

For new ideas, I go to food.com and look up recipes by ingredient or by cooking style. :)
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot at least twice a week. There is a really good series of cook books called "fix it and forget it" that is full of crock pot recipes. I have the "fix it and forget it lightly" book and I make something out of there at least once a week. I also have a vegetarian crock pot cookbook.

I have been using it a lot the past few weeks because my kids have swim lessons tues/thurs afternoons. We get home at 6:30 and dinner is already ready...all i have to do is set the table and serve. Keeps us from going through the drive thru on the way home.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you can try this website. http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Crock Pot Recipes.
    I haven't tried any of the crock pot recipes, but as soon as I get a new one I will. Other recipes I've tried here have been awesome and low cal.
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    Take a pork tenderloin and a 2 liter of coke/pepsi. Cover the meat with pop, cook on low 8hrs. Pour pop off meat. Shredd meat and cover with bar b que sauce. yummy pulled pork!
  • joilet
    joilet Posts: 99
    Options
    White Chicken Chili

1 big jar of great white northern beans (do not drain)
    1 jar of salsa (or just a can of tomatoes, or tomateoes with chilis... whatever you prefer)
    1 big can of cooked chicken breast (the kind that comes in tuna style cans) - you could double this, or use 3 small cans, if you want more chicken
    1 can low sodium chicken broth

cook on high for 2-3 hours

add 1 bag of shredded 2% cheese (cheddar, mexican blend, mont jack... whatever you like)

cook for another 15 minutes

So delicious
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Better homes and gardens has an awsome crock pot cook book. we use our all the time... put a roast in there frozen(do not add water), spinkle with garlic and a package of onion soup mix and let is go... AWESOME! I do the chicken breasts with salsa and add a can of bushes grilling black beans... YUMO! I have make ribs in mine several times... just put frozen and pour the bbg sauce over.. and let them cook till they fall off the bone. I have made soups, chili, you name it... it can be done! JUST EXPERIMENT!!! Good luck!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    you can make loads! i love this book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-ever-Cooker-One-pot-Casserole-Cookbook/dp/1846810760 i have made loads from it!
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try all recipes.com
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    CHILLI! I love chilli because I can add close to like 5 cups of veggies and potatoes along with the meat and beans, and the veggies cook down so far that you cant even tell they are in there... I trick people all the time. My husband even commented saying that I needed to remember this for when we have kids, cuz its a good way to get all those veggies in without them knowing. lol

With my chilli I HAVE TO HAVE CORN BREAD! lol so I make jiffy corn bread with 1-2 eggs and a can of cream corn, and it turns out to be about 160 calories per muffin. (I do them in muffin tins)

I also do shredded chicken, for tacos too.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    search allrecipes.com and search "crock pot" here in the forums all kinds of goodness will pop up! :D i promise!i just got mine a few weeks ago and went nuts on a hunt for recipes :D
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    The crock pot 365 blog is very good, as mentioned above.

I make a lot of soup in the crock pot. Even if you just put in leftover chicken or beef bones with water, and a few onions, celery, and carrots, you have a low sodium broth with taste better than canned broth. It's also great for cooking dried beans; I usually cook them (without adding anything except water) overnight in lots of water, and the next day I add spices or vegetables. Again, you get total control over the salt and sugar amounts. Have fun!