Recovery Advice?

Options
Just started stronglifts 5x5 and my body (quads, hammies, glutes, chest specifically) are completely wrecked after every workout. By wrecked I mean I can barely function- legs are buckling, I'm yelping when it's time to stand up/sit down, et cetera. I don't want to back off on the intensity of my workouts, and I'm okay with this much pain for a day or two, but last time it lasted an entire week and it kept me on the sidelines.

Do you continue to work out while you're sore like that? I was in so much pain I don't think I could have (not even treadmill or cycling)- I just sat it out until it was a little better and then swam until I was at 95% before my next lifting session, but I need to get back in the gym faster and speed up my recovery time a lot.

These are the major questions- What do you do, nutrition wise to speed things up and reduce the pain? (how do you eat before and after lifting?) Do you do any special stretching or things during recovery to help? (Foam rolling?) How do you warm up? (I don't think I'm doing it right.) How do you keep getting your workouts in while you're sore? What do you do for pain management? (Heating pad was about the only thing that helped me.) Is it normal to get this sore? Is it going to keep being like this, and if so, how do you manage being like that all the time?

When I finally recovered I did the same workout that wrecked me the first time again with the same weights as a test to see if I would get less sore. It's only the day after the workout now and the pain peaked for me around day 2-3 last time, but it's still pretty bad. Granted, I made some significant form fixes too so different muscles are sore (glutes, hammies rather than all quads) but still.
I need help! Give me ALL the advice! Give me links and articles! Haallp!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Some if not all of it is probably DOMS, particularly if you've never done progressive lifting before.
    Partially it takes one simply getting used to the workout routine to get the pain to go away. As one does the same exercises habitually, the body just stops sending or registering the pain signal as much as it did.
    Foam rolling can help some. Fish oil supplementation is noted for potentially helping.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Take cold baths after your workout and soak for fifteen minutes. It's unpleasant but it will definitely answer your questions. Doesn't have to be ICE cold but cold enough you know?

Have a protein shake after the workout.

Also check out Multi Vitamin Capsules - Active X (from your health store) Platinum Activ-X MultiVitamin for Men is best for you

Multivitamin

Activ-x
    activ-x is a uniquely formulated multivitamin containing essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega oils and adaptogens such as rhodiola and cordyceps. These ingredients are combined to exponentially increase the power of each one. Adaptogens give athletes the boost they need to improve performance and endurance.

Certified for Sport
    activ-x is Certified For Sport by NSF International, which means that NSF certifies it to be free of substances banned in sport (as listed by the World Anti-doping Agency).

The rigorous certification, conducted by NSF International's Certified for Sport program, ensures that activ-x has passed manufacturing facility audits, label claim testing and banned substance testing.

You can have complete confidence that's what inside the bottle is exactly what's stated on the label and that all ingredients are certified safe for both amateur and professional athletes.

activ-x is the official multivitamin of the Canadian Ski Cross Team.

It's also the vitamin of choice for many individual athletes like Iron Man Triathletes Nicole and Wolfgang Guembel.

Train harder

Improve mental performance

Increase energy levels

Improve cardiovascular activity

Boost oxygen uptake

Recover faster

Increases vitality

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't answer all your questions definitively, but I think you need to give your muscles some time to get used to your new strength training program. Your recovery time should go down as your muscles strengthen. Have you tried Naprosyn or another OTC anti-inflammatory pain reliever? Some people don't like drugs, so this is personal preference, but one Naprosyn after a tough workout helps me, as well as hot showers, baths, a soak in a hot tub is you have access to one, and stretching.

I stretch after every workout and foam roll my quads and the outsides of both thighs. Stretching is important. I don't know the exact science, but when you exercise you shorten your muscles, and stretching helps re-lengthwn them.

Delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) hits me a day after a tough workout. Gentle exercise (usually walking) helps me, and on the next day I work out again, which makes my muscles feel better.

For warm-up, I do 5 minutes on high incline on the treadmill. Then I do spiderman lunges to loosen up my hips in preparation for squats, as well as a couple of glute/hip stretches. Also goblet squats without weight. Then, for barbell squats, I do two sets of 5 reps with the empty bar to warm-up further and practice form before doing 5x5 at my workweight.

• Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Well, I can't answer all your questions definitively, but I think you need to give your muscles some time to get used to your new strength training program. Your recovery time should go down as your muscles strengthen. Have you tried Naprosyn or another OTC anti-inflammatory pain reliever? Some people don't like drugs, so this is personal preference, but one Naprosyn after a tough workout helps me, as well as hot showers, baths, a soak in a hot tub is you have access to one, and stretching.

I stretch after every workout and foam roll my quads and the outsides of both thighs. Stretching is important. I don't know the exact science, but when you exercise you shorten your muscles, and stretching helps re-lengthwn them.

Delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) hits me a day after a tough workout. Gentle exercise (usually walking) helps me, and on the next day I work out again, which makes my muscles feel better.

For warm-up, I do 5 minutes on high incline on the treadmill. Then I do spiderman lunges to loosen up my hips in preparation for squats, as well as a couple of glute/hip stretches. Also goblet squats without weight. Then, for barbell squats, I do two sets of 5 reps with the empty bar to warm-up further and practice form before doing 5x5 at my workweight.

This! Excellent advice! It's good to know that as I get used to it, it will be easier. I'm sure it's DOMS- but I have lifted before and participated in sports before and have never even heard of it being so severe and lasting a full week. :(

I was mostly anticipating a lot of people saying "Get used to the pain, because lifting is painful. If you can't handle it, it's not for you." I'm so happy to see real advice instead of that! I'm looking up spiderman lunges right now! I always have issues with my hips (tight hip flexors.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Adah_m wrote: »
    Do you continue to work out while you're sore like that?

Yes, but i reduce the training volume and ramp up slower. Just because a program starts with 5 sets doesn't mean it's right for everyone. ;)
  • Schpau51
    Schpau51 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What are strong lifts?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, medicine ball rolling, tennis ball rolling... help to release the tension. Also have you tried more warm-up squatting?
  • Adah_m
    Options
    What are strong lifts?

Pauline, stronglifts 5x5 is a strength training program for beginners that focuses on building strength with free weights/heavy lifting. (Think things like bench pressing, weighted squats, deadlifts, et cetera.) Here is the stronglifts website. I love it so far. stronglifts.com/5x5/

If you're unsure about heavy lifting, (lots of women are because the free weights side of the gym is typically where the "intimidating" guys hang out, there's lots of grunting and stinky people, and they are afraid it will make them "bulky" rather than lean) check out this success story. nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ Granted, the girl in this story was already thin when she started lifting, but she has an amazing body now. Lifting heavy weights makes you strong, which is awesome, but also gives you an extremely sculpted look that women are always trying to achieve.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do epsom salt baths to help with soreness, and I use a post workout mixed in with my protein shake after exercise to help me recover faster. Of course plenty of water is important too.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Limit workouts to 30 mins, twice a week. All be fine.
  • Adah_m
    Options
    I do epsom salt baths to help with soreness, and I use a post workout mixed in with my protein shake after exercise to help me recover faster. Of course plenty of water is important too.

What post workout do you use?
  • kcdambuster
    kcdambuster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ......because the free weights side of the gym is typically where the "intimidating" guys hang out, there's lots of grunting and stinky people, .......

:o