Has anyone experience burning pain on the outside of their s

Options
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has experienced a horrendous burning pain and tightnes in the muscle on the outside of their shin during exercise? I decided after increasing my fitness throught the use of my wii I was going to venture out and try some run-walk combinations over a set distance (a bit like the couch to 5k). Anyway after the third run-walk sequence I had developed the most awful burning sensation down the outside of my shin in the muscle and the muscle was extremely tight and tender to the touch. Anyway I walked the rest of the distance and the pain didn't ease off until I got home and rested for half an hour. I also had a burning sensation under the arch of my foot.

I have had a quick look on the internet (I know, bad idea!) but it seems to match up with something called compartment syndrome. If it is it would also explain my excessively long capillary refill time inmy toes (5-6 seconds!) which I had just put down to 'poor circulation'!

Has anyone ever suffered with this who could describe what it felt like as I'm a little concerned now and obviously I think a trip to the doctors might be in order but I won't have the time for this for a few weeks so I am just interested to hear from anyone who has had similar.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Did you warm up? Your muscles are probably just tight from overexercise and you need to stretch, but seriously be careful and see a doctor the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yup... I have Shin Splints. That's what they feel like.... The feet could be from lack of proper arch support. Go to an athletic shop and let them instruct you on what type of shoes you need. Good luck!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Bump

I do too! I made a post awhile back but nobody replied to it. LOL I get the same burning feeling in my shin muslces and sometimes my toes go numb! I don't know what causes this. I always figured it was because I'm so out of shape? I'm interested to hear what people say!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I believe that is where your IT band runs down your legs. I would make sure you are stretching that area before and after exercising.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints when I start walking for long periods of time of several timesa day on a road. Every year when I went back to colleg, I would get thme at the begining of each semester by walking to and from classes and dorm room. After about 2-3 weeks they would be gone until teh start of the next semester. I hated them and rarely walk on roads anymore. No problems on my elliptical, except my toes do start to go numb after being on for more than 35- 40 minutes. I just keep going and keep wiggling them when I can. Shin splints definitely suck and are painful.
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    I have the burning pain on the outside of my shins when I walk outside, but not when I walk on the treadmill. I chalked it up to using different muscles on different terrain. Who knows?
  • Arietmis
    Arietmis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Norro 1983,

I'm a nurse and I think you should see a doctor. It would be very rare to have compartment syndrome and in those cases without immediate intervention you would lose all blood flow to your leg and it would die. It sounds more like severe shin spilits or a possible DVT (deep vein thrombosis). But again, I don't know you, haven't seen you, and can't evaluate through an email. See a doctor.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stretch a lot-- both before and especially after you workout. Band exercises can also help. The best exercise that helped me to get rid of shin splints was to "write" the alphabet with your toes at least once a day-- sit with with your legs straight out in front of you and flex both feet as far as you can in all directions as you trace the shapes of the letters. Getting shoes that are fitted for your footstrike will help too. Good luck!
  • Norro1983
    Norro1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice etc folks, I'm going to go see the doctor because I don't want to end up with a long term injury and I also don't want to put myself off running so I might just give some fast paced walking a try for a while and see if it happens then too. If it does i'll walk until it stops completely then take up the running. I'll also start stretching it before I go out. I couldn't stretch it when I got back in as I wasn't able to lift or point my toes for a while until it had settled down. It was like the muscle was paralysed! weird! Anyway we'll see how it goes on. Thanks once again
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Burning pain you say?

2zyl6x2.jpg
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I had horrible burning and it even got to the point of feeling ripping on my left outer shin after running.

How much weight do you have to lose? I only ask this because I started doing the C25K, and I had a good 40 lbs to lose at the time. By the time I got the the 3rd or 4th week, my shins started bothering me. I was doing stretches and warmups beforehand, and it would even burn when I walked. This injury landed me in PT for a good 3 months.

Fast-forward 2 years to this past winter. No further weightloss, I started walking/running on our treadmill, and again started feeling the onset of the burning shins, so I stopped. Instead I moved to TurboFire for 3 months, dropped 24 lbs and have now been running for 6 minutes straight on the treadmill for the past couple weeks with now shin issues.

I stretch the front of my shins before and after. I've also switched to a flatter running shoe.

My favorite stretch is to stand with your legs in a scissor position like you were going to go into the splits. Square your hips, push your butt back and lean forward with a straight back. If you don't immediately feel it in the front of your shins, stick your butt back more and push your toes/ball of foot into the ground and you should start to feel a great stretch!

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If it is shin splints, it could be your stride. Be careful if you decide to try walking faster, that's what usually sets it off for me because I try to take longer strides and put too much pressure on my heel. I found a great article about it last year but can't seem to find it now, sorry.

Glad you're going to see your doc - better to be safe than sorry!
  • Norro1983
    Options
    Hiya, I have at least 42lbs to lose though would like to lose 56lbs. I think I would benefit from having my gait analyses and some orthotics fitted but i've just done a little bit of research and it will cost about £75 just for an initial consultation with a podiatrist or someone similar! Knowing what my commitment to exercise has been like in the past I am definitely not spending that!! It would technically be good motivation to keep the running up if I knew it had cost me a bomb but I also know that financial motivation doesn't work with me either!! Oh dear, I may just have to go back to the wii fit. Oddly I was running (on the spot, granted!) for 20 minutes straight 'covering' 6km barefoot on the wii fit and didn't have any problems. I guess that last sentence just confirms my need for gait analysis and orthotics really!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I have at least 42lbs to lose though would like to lose 56lbs. I think I would benefit from having my gait analyses and some orthotics fitted but i've just done a little bit of research and it will cost about £75 just for an initial consultation with a podiatrist or someone similar! Knowing what my commitment to exercise has been like in the past I am definitely not spending that!! It would technically be good motivation to keep the running up if I knew it had cost me a bomb but I also know that financial motivation doesn't work with me either!! Oh dear, I may just have to go back to the wii fit. Oddly I was running (on the spot, granted!) for 20 minutes straight 'covering' 6km barefoot on the wii fit and didn't have any problems. I guess that last sentence just confirms my need for gait analysis and orthotics really!!
    Try running outside with the same foot mechanics you were using inside barefoot and your problem might be solved. Since you had no problem inside orthotics and gait analysis are most likely unnecessary.

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If it is shin splints, try looking at your foot strike. Many injuries and pain is caused by heel striking when running.
  • Norro1983
    Options
    I don't really know how I run inside I just presume I run differently as I don't have any pain so I can't really replicate it otside as I don't really know what I do inside. Also, because running with the wii fit is 'on the spot' I presume my gait changes when I run outside because I am travelling forwards so the stress and strain on my shin is different.
  • Norro1983
    Options
    ok, just looked at the article link and I reckon I run on my toes more when i run on the spot but then heel strike when I run outside and I am travelling so I might try shortening my stride slightly which may engourage me to run less on my heel and more on my toes...worth a try! Thanks!
  • scottb81
    Options
    I don't really know how I run inside I just presume I run differently as I don't have any pain so I can't really replicate it otside as I don't really know what I do inside. Also, because running with the wii fit is 'on the spot' I presume my gait changes when I run outside because I am travelling forwards so the stress and strain on my shin is different.
    When you run you should be landing on your forefoot with your foot directly under your center of mass. Your foot should land lightly and your heel should barely touch the ground before you lift your foot for the next step.

If you take off your shoes and run for a short distance outside barefoot you will naturally run like that.

Shin splints and knee pain should be reduced with a correct running form as described above because the inpact of each footstrike is absorbed by the arch of the foot and muscles and tendons in the lower leg.

If you are landing on your heels (as most modern running shoes promote with an eleveated and cushioned heel) then the impact of each sep is absorbed in your shin bone and knee joint. Shin splints and knee pain are the inevitable result.
  • scottb81
    Options
    ok, just looked at the article link and I reckon I run on my toes more when i run on the spot but then heel strike when I run outside and I am travelling so I might try shortening my stride slightly which may engourage me to run less on my heel and more on my toes...worth a try! Thanks!
    A shorter, but quicker, stride is the way to go.
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When you run you should be landing on your forefoot with your foot directly under your center of mass. Your foot should land lightly and your heel should barely touch the ground before you lift your foot for the next step.

If you take off your shoes and run for a short distance outside barefoot you will naturally run like that.

Shin splints and knee pain should be reduced with a correct running form as described above because the inpact of each footstrike is absorbed by the arch of the foot and muscles and tendons in the lower leg.

If you are landing on your heels (as most modern running shoes promote with an eleveated and cushioned heel) then the impact of each sep is absorbed in your shin bone and knee joint. Shin splints and knee pain are the inevitable result.

Awesome explanation! Totally explains why my flatter shoes are working better for me.