What do you do to curb hunger?

Options
I often get hungry in the middle of the day and at night. It's not real hunger, it's more out of boredom. What are some ways to distract myself so I don't end up snacking because I'm bored?

Replies

• zwang16
    zwang16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    same… I was told I need to hold the hunger and not eat anything to wait for my stomach to shrink. Losing weight costs something !!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    snack on low cal non starchy vegetables. There is no reason to be hungry, in fact letting yourself get hungry will probably cause more problems for you when you make bad food choices. I always have bowls of roasted veggies, and salad kits at home to eat when i need some food.

the whole stomach shrinking think is nonsense. dont let yourself be hungry. losing weight is not about being hungry and starving yourself. its about eating the right amounts of the right foods.
  • blknred28
    blknred28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard chewing bubble gum helps
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    zwang16 wrote: »
    same… I was told I need to hold the hunger and not eat anything to wait for my stomach to shrink. Losing weight costs something !!

You'd wait a long time. Your stomach doesn't shrink.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of herbal tea.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If it's not "snack time," and in pretty sure I'm really just bored or looking for a break, or looking for a reason to procrastinate. I found that doing something else eventually had the same affect. For example, my trip to the break room usually was just a way to get up, walk around, and maybe chat with a coworker or two. So, taking a minute to walk my paperwork around or walking to ask a question rather than emailing. Or, getting up to get water with lemon was as effective as a Diet Coke and peanuts. Sometimes it took a few times for it to "click."

If you're hungry sooner than you feel you should be, try adding extra veggies or protein to your previous meal.

Or, chewing gum, drinking a big glass of water, taking a walk, eat an apple, etc.

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    hobbies are great...

but sometimes i just drink bourbon and smoke cigars.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Drink water or diet soda helps me
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a big glass of water and if that doesn't help then I know it's my body telling me I'm actually hungry.
  • Small_Town_Southern_Man
    Options
    Eat a loaf of that black bread from Outback. Problem solved.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eat a loaf of that black bread from Outback. Problem solved.

This guy gets it.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    blknred28 wrote: »
    I've heard chewing bubble gum helps

Don't chew gum. All that does is fill your stomach up with air and makes you feel bloated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Have a cup of herbal tea.

Tea comes in so many flavors. Buy a sampler box if you don't know what you like.

At night if I'm watching TV - I sit down with a big glass of ice water. You can fancy it up with a lemon wedge, or some mint leaves, whatever. Then I will DO something, any little distraction will work. Crosswords, solitaire, crochet....whatever. Break the habit of sitting down with snacks when the TV is on.
  • frangrace
    frangrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The first couple of days that I changed my eating habits I felt ravenously hungry but I think that was more a kind of sugar/starch withdrawal. My lovely trainer suggested I increase the veggies in every meal and top up calories a little by adding a good fat, like a bit of cashew butter or if I was really hungry, a little extra quinoa/sweet potato. It took 3 days and then I realised that a lot of the hunger is just boredom. Nowadays I make sure I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, so between the time I wake up and around 7pm, I don't go more than 2 hours without eating. It seems to have balanced my appetite and control my cravings pretty substantially. I'm only genuinely hungry if I've done a lot of extra exercise. In that case I up my calories a little to eat back about a quarter to half of what I burned. Break through the first week then find your balance. You may simply not be eating enough. The MFP generic 1200 calories a day suggestion (for a woman) is pretty low. Particularly if you have a lot to lose. Doesn't really give you anywhere to progress to. So start a little higher (depending on your activity levels and how much weight you have to lose). It may mean slower weightloss but you're much less likely to give up.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I drink water with MIO (sweet tea flavor) in it...and i get up and take a walk...
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just like jessakittyis and chulipa said: DRINK WATER!

Often times thirst/dehydration gets mistaken for hunger, drink a cup (8oz) of water and wait at LEAST 15, but preferably 20 minutes. If you're actually hungry, you will still feel it and you should definitely eat a little something. But if it subsides, even just a little bit, then you were probably just thirsty and should wait it out.

I also agree with Panda_Poptarts, trust your body and eat when you're hungry. Snacking on veggies and other high-fiber foods WITH the water helps with sudden hunger. The fiber makes you feel fuller and drinking water with it helps your body process the fiber easier.

Personally, I avoid anything carbonated as it just ends up filling my stomach with air and that makes me feel more bloated until I burp and am just hungry again. Trust yourself though!

I always drink water before I lay down at night and first thing when I wake up, a hydrated body works less during rest so you sleep sounder and rest better.
  • NotMcBeal
    NotMcBeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to rely on unsweetened soda water, like Perrier. It now comes in lemon, lime, and grapefruit. Tea helps, too. Teva "Sweet Orange" tea is wonderful. I'd recommend it to any keto/south beach/atkins/low-carb dieters who miss having fruit.
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Deffo agree with drink more water, eat more veggies