Drinking ALL of my veggies...

Options
Ok so kind of a weird question, and I'm sure this will gross some people out, but I really hate eating raw veggies and almost never get in my 5+ servings. Recently I've been making a huge all veggie smoothie (1 whole cucumber, 2 sticks celery, 10 carrots, and 1 green pepper) every afternoon. Literally the only thing i put in it are the veggies and water, and I'll also typically have a 1 serving of veggies with lunch and another with dinner. Is this ok to do? I'm still getting all of the same nutrients and fiber from the vegetable skin right? lol doesn't taste great, but gets it done quickly.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it sounds dreadful but i dont see the harm in it lol

just make sure you are meeting all your macros
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Serving.
    1 serving of cucumber is about 3 inches. Not the whole thing.
    1 serving of celery is an 8 inch stick.
    1 serving of carrot is about 1 stick. Not 10.
    I just had a v8 (low sodium). Honest. Open diary.
  • adcroskey
    adcroskey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Serving.
    1 serving of cucumber is about 3 inches. Not the whole thing.
    1 serving of celery is an 8 inch stick.
    1 serving of carrot is about 1 stick. Not 10.

*10 baby carrots

And thanks for the input, but I'm not concerned about eating too many veggies.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    adcroskey wrote: »
    I really hate eating raw veggies

Blending is fine, but you could cook 'em if you want. That's what I do, with plenty of seasoning and I like 'em that way.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. I make a veg soup. I heat up a quart of either chicken or veg broth and drop in a cup each of chopped onions, carrots, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers and any leftover vegs I have on hand. I also add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and seasoning. I simmer it for about 40 minutes, then cool and puree it in a bullet blender. This type blender preserves the fiber in the veg. I like to micro a cup of this and melt a little butter on top. It's about 80 cals and equals about 3 servings of vegs and best of all it tastes and smells great. You might like it better than the raw veg drink your doing now.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    To the OP... I 'drink' some of my veggies too but I usually put some fruit (frozen berries, banana, fresh pineapple etc) in with the green and vegetables. I like the taste better with fruit added, often also add a cup of cashew milk (25 cal per cup). Easy to get plenty of veggies in that way. My nutribullet stays busy. I do eat lots of roasted or cooked veggies too though
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you don't have to eat RAW vegetables. Roasted vegetables are much better, IMO.

However, I do similar to what you do because I don't really like sweet things, so I juice a lot of vegetables only. Instead of drinking it straight I use that liquid as a soup base or for flavoring in other things I'm cooking.

Start experimenting with other vegetables and alternate cooking methods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Blending is fine, but you could cook 'em if you want. That's what I do, with plenty of seasoning and I like 'em that way.

This ^^ What you are doing is fine if you enjoy it, but you are missing out on some seriously delicious food by avoiding properly cooked vegetables.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Ok so kind of a weird question, and I'm sure this will gross some people out, but I really hate eating raw veggies and almost never get in my 5+ servings. Recently I've been making a huge all veggie smoothie (1 whole cucumber, 2 sticks celery, 10 carrots, and 1 green pepper) every afternoon. Literally the only thing i put in it are the veggies and water, and I'll also typically have a 1 serving of veggies with lunch and another with dinner. Is this ok to do? I'm still getting all of the same nutrients and fiber from the vegetable skin right? lol doesn't taste great, but gets it done quickly.

It wouldn't be enough variety for me, but if it works for you, enjoy!

What kind of blender are you using?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yep. I like some vegetables raw, but the majority of the veg I eat are cooked.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If it gets you to eat your veggies then I don't see the problem with it.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Drinking veggie juice can really mess up your metabolism. Raw veggies are cold and hard to digest. There's a reason why they have that fiber in them..when you remove it. It makes it even.harder to digest. Initially destroying your digestive fire (agni) and in return damping your metabolism. Most all veggies should be cooked especially in colder months. Cucumbers are a summer veggie and should be eaten on hotter months
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Drinking veggie juice can really mess up your metabolism. Raw veggies are cold and hard to digest. There's a reason why they have that fiber in them..when you remove it. It makes it even.harder to digest. Initially destroying your digestive fire (agni) and in return damping your metabolism. Most all veggies should be cooked especially in colder months. Cucumbers are a summer veggie and should be eaten on hotter months

What now?

Humans are the only animals that cook their vegetables. Are you saying that all other animals have destroyed their "digestive fire"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Drinking veggie juice can really mess up your metabolism. Raw veggies are cold and hard to digest. There's a reason why they have that fiber in them..when you remove it. It makes it even.harder to digest.

Why would it?

But anyway OP is making a smoothie, not juice, so is not removing any fiber.
    Initially destroying your digestive fire (agni) and in return damping your metabolism. Most all veggies should be cooked especially in colder months. Cucumbers are a summer veggie and should be eaten on hotter months

Nothing is in season now where I live. Does this mean it's bad for me to eat vegetables, or are cucumbers a special case? (Also, I just ate a salad with a number of raw vegetables on it. Is my metabolism doomed?)
  • mean_and_lean
    Options

The veggies are being blended which keeps the pulp and the fiber.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating cold/raw vegetables

And cucumbers should only be eaten in hot months? LMAO!

Seriously, where in the world did you get this (mis)information?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of most raw veggies...which is why I tend to cook most of mine. There are a lot of veggies for which there is added nutritional benefit from cooking as well.

Nothing wrong with a smoothie or juicing here and there...but sounds really horrible to me...and really boring.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. I make a veg soup. I heat up a quart of either chicken or veg broth and drop in a cup each of chopped onions, carrots, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers and any leftover vegs I have on hand. I also add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and seasoning. I simmer it for about 40 minutes, then cool and puree it in a bullet blender. This type blender preserves the fiber in the veg. I like to micro a cup of this and melt a little butter on top. It's about 80 cals and equals about 3 servings of vegs and best of all it tastes and smells great. You might like it better than the raw veg drink your doing now.

Yum!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

She is not removing the fiber. She stated that she is consuming the whole fruit/vegetable. She is blending them not juicing them. And you understanding of fiber is backwards. Fiber is hard to digest and in fact does not fully digest at all. That's how it provides bulk for stools. By passing through the gut partially undigested.

The last few sentences are pure hokum.
  • mean_and_lean
    Options

She is not removing the fiber. She stated that she is consuming the whole fruit/vegetable. She is blending them not juicing them. And you understanding of fiber is backwards. Fiber is hard to digest and in fact does not fully digest at all. That's how it provides bulk for stools. By passing through the gut partially undigested.

The last few sentences are pure hokum.

I'll be honest. I had a cucumber last week and I live in a cold area. I wonder what cataclysmic damage I've done to myself.