can i eat unhealthy food and not gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The short answer about eating what you want without gaining weight is yes, you can, as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

The better answer for a long term approach is to try to balance a primarily nutrient dense diet with some treats as you can fit them in.

I prefer not to use the phrase "unhealthy foods" because I think that any food can fit within the context of an overall healthy diet.
    So if I were to eat nothing but pizza pops and chips everyday you'd say it was a healthy diet as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals?

Pull out a straw man and commence beating, right?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    gottazayn wrote: »
    can i eat unhealthy food with respecting the amount of calories I should eat during the day without getting fat?

What is "unhealthy" food? Typically people say this when they really mean calorie dense food.

Don't eat depleted uranium chips or anything.

There goes my dessert!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    hectorh82 wrote: »
    oh i know this for a fact!!! yes, and like everyone has stated above just exercise.

Where did everyone say to exercise?

I'm sure I'm reading a different thread.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    oh i know this for a fact!!! yes, and like everyone has stated above just exercise.

I thought the exact same thing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Not sure but I would support a good exercise program.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as you aren't going over your maintenance calories, yes. Is it healthy, though? No.

But .. it IS healthier than not losing the weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as you aren't going over your maintenance calories, yes. Is it healthy, though? No.

But .. it IS healthier than not losing the weight.

There you go with that logic and sensibility stuff. Get outta here.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What's anyone's definition of 'unhealthy' food? Ask 10 people you'll get 10 answers.

Calories in < calories out = weight loss
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    gottazayn wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Yes you can as long as you stay within your calorie goal.

This is the answer you're looking for op.
    yeah I've been trying it lately and it does work

Then that's that. Your question has been answered.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    My bad, I misinterpreted what you meant in your post, I thought they were staring you could have a healthy diet composed of pretty much any food types, whether they're nutritionally dense or highly processed.
    The short answer about eating what you want without gaining weight is yes, you can, as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

The better answer for a long term approach is to try to balance a primarily nutrient dense diet with some treats as you can fit them in.

I prefer not to use the phrase "unhealthy foods" because I think that any food can fit within the context of an overall healthy diet.
    So if I were to eat nothing but pizza pops and chips everyday you'd say it was a healthy diet as long as I'm staying within my calorie goals?

I think you must have misunderstood my post.

Let me state it again.

For weight loss, what matters is to be in a calorie deficit. You can do that eating nothing but pizza, pop, and chips.

If you eat pizza, pop and chips as part of your overall diet which includes primarily nutrient dense foods, then yes, I think that can be healthy.

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try to shoot for a 40/30/30 macro nutrient ratio daily (carbs, protein, fat) and foods mostly bought from the outside aisles of the store. An occasional less than ideal meal shouldn't be a concern as long as they are the exception and not the norm. Best wishes!
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Scientifially-speaking you probably CAN but, in the long run, it will probably back-fire (especially as you get older). Do your best to eat healthy unprocessed foods 80% of the time and throw in 20% "unhealthy" treats if you need to in order to stick with it. Good luck.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    these threads kill me.....

Ironically, I saw your avi and thought you might be an undead. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

and the point... when WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.

But since you asked- YES you could eat nothing but pizza pops (what is a pizza pop?) and chips and still lose weight. But A.) Not a single effing person suggested that and B.) What about that is balanced?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    My bad, I misinterpreted what you meant in your post, I thought they were staring you could have a healthy diet composed of pretty much any food types, whether they're nutritionally dense or highly processed.

I think you must have misunderstood my post.

Let me state it again.

For weight loss, what matters is to be in a calorie deficit. You can do that eating nothing but pizza, pop, and chips.

If you eat pizza, pop and chips as part of your overall diet which includes primarily nutrient dense foods, then yes, I think that can be healthy.

You can- as long as it's varied.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

But since you asked- YES you could eat nothing but pizza pops (what is a pizza pop?) and chips and still lose weight. But A.) Not a single effing person suggested that and B.) What about that is balanced?
    It was a rhetorical question. I'm all about nutrition and fitness. I've spent countless hours studying different foods, workouts, and supplements. I know you could lose weight, what I was asking was if the OP thought I could truly build a balanced diet off of it. Both of which I haven't eaten in almost a year. I've noticed you quite often make assumptions in others threats immediately replying with an unnecessary post. Pizza pops are a miniature calzone type deal sold in packages. They're about as processed as you can get, exactly why I used them for my example.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Pizza pops are a miniature calzone type deal sold in packages. They're about as processed as you can get, exactly why I used them for my example.

Whoa I didn't know those were a thing. I just thought there were missing commas: pizza, pop, chips. Like pop = soda. I mean we call it soda where I live but there's a lot of weird Midwesterners who call it pop (and I try not to laugh out loud). Don't get me started on the people who call any soda a coke...
  • JoRocka
    Options

It was a rhetorical question. I'm all about nutrition and fitness. I've spent countless hours studying different foods, workouts, and supplements. I know you could lose weight, what I was asking was if the OP thought I could truly build a balanced diet off of it. Both of which I haven't eaten in almost a year. I've noticed you quite often make assumptions in others threats immediately replying with an unnecessary post. Pizza pops are a miniature calzone type deal sold in packages. They're about as processed as you can get, exactly why I used them for my example.

pizza pops sound delicious. sound like bagel bites.

I'd totally eat those.

You didn't appear to be replying to the OP- but it seemed exactly like you did what a lot of other people do when someone says any version of IIFYM which is: "so you're saying I can do X"... it happens a lot.

And clearly I wasn't the only one who "appeared" to see the same thing.

And how is my post any different than the 2 or 3 others that said the same thing and yet mine is totally unnecessary. mmmkkkkk
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some of the references are the comparisons between low-glycemic and high-glycemic carbs and they're being zero to only a marginal difference in weight-loss in the low-glycemic groups. While that does seem to be true, weight management is not the only thing to consider, micro-nutrients and blood sugar management for long-term HEALTH are also important.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

You know what's more processed than pizza pops? Supplements! I just mention this because there is a huge break in belief among those who like to believe that they eat "clean", to whatever definition, yet have no issue downing hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of supplements a year when they will fail any definition of "clean", yet they are always given some funny reason for an exception like being protein or vitamins or whatever bogus excuse they can make to justify this glaring dichotomy. It's funny really.