Do you believe in Aliens ?

Options
Why or why not ?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I figure there has to be other species out there, the universe is far too big and varied for us to be the only ones running about.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I figure there has to be other species out there, the universe is far too big and varied for us to be the only ones running about.

I can't say it any differently than that. I'd sure like to communicate with one
  • junelove89
    junelove89 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Just take a look at all the pyramids, such intricate designs and the way they're structured. During that time, they didn't have the machinery, technology and knowledge to build them. Take the hieroglyphs for example. They depict a story. The carvings which show men with astronaut suits and space ships. Why did our ancestors worship the stars so much? They must have seen something come from up above. I have a strong belief in them.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Statistically it makes sense that there'd be life on other planets. The estimates on the number of exoplanets (and rogue planets) is staggering. Even if we are just considering planets that we'd consider "habitable," which doesn't account for life that could thrive outside what we'd call normal, in the observable universe there is something like 5 trillion possible planets where life could have, at least at one point existed. If we want to be more generous about where we think life could exist, which I feel we should considering even on earth we find extremophiles in the most unlikely of paces, this number is even larger.

If we are talking about beings visiting earth, I have not heard convincing evidence that this is at all likely.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I hear them.

They're out there.

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I think a better question is do they live among us?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    “The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”
    ― Carl Sagan
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    Aren't most of them becoming citizens now?

ba dump bum
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

This. It would be incredibly naive and self-centered to think we are the only ones in the entire universe.
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Statistically it makes sense that there'd be life on other planets. The estimates on the number of exoplanets (and rogue planets) is staggering. Even if we are just considering planets that we'd consider "habitable," which doesn't account for life that could thrive outside what we'd call normal, in the observable universe there is something like 5 trillion possible planets where life could have, at least at one point existed. If we want to be more generous about where we think life could exist, which I feel we should considering even on earth we find extremophiles in the most unlikely of paces, this number is even larger.

If we are talking about beings visiting earth, I have not heard convincing evidence that this is at all likely.

I totally agree with this. There are other species out there...somewhere. I really wouldn't be surprised if we find other life in our own solar system as we continue to explore. However, "intelligent" life is a whole other story. Yes, I believe there are other intelligent beings out there but I don't believe any of them have visited Earth.

Makes for some awesome Sci-Fi though! Looking forward to the new Independence Day movie! :)
  • OldManOne
    OldManOne Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Earth is in an exact position from the Sun, Moon and other planets - If Earth was a millimeter off from our current position, we as humans or life as we know it would not be able to exist here. So, from the science aspect - Probably not, but anything is possible?
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    Options
    OldManOne wrote: »
    Earth is in an exact position from the Sun, Moon and other planets - If Earth was a millimeter off from our current position, we as humans or life as we know it would not be able to exist here. So, from the science aspect - Probably not, but anything is possible?

The moon is drifting farther and farther away from earth each year at a rate of roughly 3.8 centimeters per year. Same for the earth and the sun, but at a slower rate. We can, and have survived millimeters off of our current position.

And even if HUMANS could not survive such a difference, that does preclude life as we DON'T know it, or even some life that we do know. Bacteria has been found to live in some of the wildest places on earth: near thermal vents in the deepest part of the ocean where no sunlight reaches, in hot springs and volcanoes, etc. He'll even some bacteria have been known to survive in space, some able to incredibly resist harsh radiation and repair DNA.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I work for NASA. No comment.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    He'll even some bacteria have been known to survive in space, some able to incredibly resist harsh radiation and repair DNA.

As well as my favorite microorganism, the water bear.

d49t3nleqma7.jpg

• jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Anyway, read up on the Fermi Paradox. Interesting stuff.

Whatever you do, though, don't read the Wikipedia page, Timeline of the Far Future, unless you want to have a massive existential crisis. I'm not even gonna link to it. :open_mouth:
  • melasencio
    melasencio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I believe in life elsewhere but I don't believe we've been visited. Probably for the same reason we haven't ventured to other planets yet.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    He'll even some bacteria have been known to survive in space, some able to incredibly resist harsh radiation and repair DNA.

As well as my favorite microorganism, the water bear.

d49t3nleqma7.jpg

To be fair, water bears are EVERYBODY'S favorite! :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    they are already here