Rowing and lifting..

Options
Does anyone row as well as lift? Does row also work abs, legs, and glutes?

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Rowing if done correctly targets a whole bunch of muscles. See here for some information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/96719-areas-rowing-fitness-machines-target/
    I do both. I am mainly a runner but a strong core and good muscles is vital for me to run injury free.
    Stef.
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    VeronicaSmith2019 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will check it out for sure! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Ask every Crossfitter ever.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I include some rowing in my workouts usually either at the end of a strength training day or sometimes as part of a circuit. I find it a great low impact exercise that targets so many muscles.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I use rowing as my warm up on lifting day, 10-15 min. Hits most muscles.
    On non lifting days I try to do 30/30 row, swim. I like resistance work in my cardio, and these two provide it. Plus they are low impact.

The concept2 site has great info.
    http://www.concept2.com/

Cheers, h.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a runner but I lift & row as part of my x-training.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    almost every collegiate rower also does lifting work 2-4x per week as part of their training program. squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, rows, abs.

I row and also powerlift.

Rowing does work many muscle groups but it is an endurance exercise, not really strength. You can't row and say "oh i worked out my abs today by rowing." The effects of lifting vs. endurance are different.

you can alternate days (row one day, lift the next) or you can do both on the same day. i usually do an easier row on a day where I am doing heavy leg oriented lifts like squats or deadlifts.
  • lionrace
    lionrace Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in here and mention if you are going to row, make sure you are doing it correctly. Outside of my rowing team in college, I have never seen anyone do it correctly. It drives me nuts and it's so strange because the incorrect way looks so inconvenient and annoying, I don't know how people keep it up. It's simple: legs, back, arms; arms, back, legs. On your way back, you straighten your knees, then lean back at your waist, then pull your arms back. On the way back up (forward), start with straightening your arms, then lean forward at the waist, then bend the knees. When you're on the arms step, the backward motion should be a quick pull, and then letting them forward should be slower. The wrong way is some weird thing where you do some combination of all three at the same time and you have to bring your arms up over your knees. You shouldn't have to do that. I'm sure you can find a video if you need help :)

I know I'm going to get chewed out about being snobby or whatever but I don't care. I'm just trying to help.
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do both all the time. I love rowing in intervals TABATA style, 40 second work, 20 second rest. High intensity. And I often do a short row before lifting
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Does anyone row as well as lift? Does row also work abs, legs, and glutes?
    rowing definitely worked all 3 for me...not as fast as lifting would though
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    @lionrace thanks for the info on proper technique, greatly appreciated.
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    Options
    I'm loving all these great texts! Thanks guys so much
  • slbf42
    slbf42 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for videos on correct form, have a look at the Concept 2 website under training.
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    Options
    Thank you I'll check it out