Core Exercise Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I am getting ready to modify my workout program to incorporate more core exercises.

Toward what specific goal?
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I play competitive tennis and it would benefit me to having a strong core to transfer the energy from my legs through to my racket. Beyond that I would just like to have some muscles in my abs and obliques to show when/if I get this little extra fat off me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Pallof press. I can't cut and paste with my phone sorry

Awesome, ty! I hadn't heard of that exercise or seen it before. I think I found a link to it though and I'll research it more. Appreciate the tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g921oqINXFQ

It is simple but effective! I now do a half kneeling variation of this.
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend planks, but after reading the other responses, planks may be borrrring to you. Me personally, I love challenging myself to see how long I can hold a plank!
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    I think planks should likely be part of any core strength training @nomoyoyoing Thanks for the recommendation!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try planking on a swiss ball, if that's easy lift 1 leg slightly off the ground for any of these ball exercises: ball rollouts, ball stir the pot, ball jackknife.
    Plank walkouts, hollow body, dead bugs, 2 or 3 point planks, plank with shoulder touch, up up down down on floor or on the swiss ball.
    For the pallofs you could do 1/2 kneeling or standing use a Cooke bar or rope or regular handles. There's anti flexion, extension versions where you face away & toward cable pulley, lunge stance or athletic stance using rope attachment & extend arms overhead resisting the weight. There's also a version I like where I use low pulley very light weight first do a 1/2 sit-up then extend the cable handle away from my chest & hold for a few seconds, release, lay down then repeat.

Cable walkouts are also good, then you could add a hip rotation & turn so you face away from the cable before returning & walking the weight back in.

Cable push pull exercises are another great ab workout.

Landmine rotations and 1/2 rotations.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Wow, so many great ideas! Thanks everyone, I certainly have many options to add to my workout now and I think I will post what I decide upon later this week. You guys and gals are awesome! Ty!