There's a new fruit in town! Name your new never tried fruit and spread the fruity love!

Options
Hi! I have just tried jackfruit and dragon fruit. They are awesome!

Jackfruit- appearance a big ball looking porcupine looking thing cut it open looks like pineapple smells like juicy fruit! Yellow with large seeds the things surrounding seeds is the fruit you want the deep yellow part (sweetest) mildly like pineapple mildly sweet. Had to watch a video on how to eat and get the fruit. It was fun and felt like I was really foraging and tasty.

Dragonfruit- appearance a hot pink with green leaf like scales ( it's fruit of a cacti of some sort) you cut top and bottom and peel back the layer like a banana. It's opaque white with tiny seeds sprinkling it's entirety. It's similar to kiwi ( not in taste though.) it's juicy and sweet with a little crunch (from seeds) it's expensive tho 6.99 lb. but could serve you 3 eating spells if portioned.

My next to try: rambutan!

So I got these at my local Asian/ Mexican grocer.

So how about you?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I tried a cherimoya for the first time last week. Quite interesting. The flavor was a mild blending of strawberry, banana, pineapple and peach. It was creamy and best eaten with a spoon. k127vcym0bmb.jpg
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the motherland! I haven't had rambutan in aaaaaaages.

Mangosteen and Sapodilla are lovely too if you can get them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A few years ago it was the asian persimmon. LOVE THEM now.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just today I saw a clip on Facebook where jackfruit was prepared in a savoury way, and then pulled apart and served on a bun - people who tried it said it tasted like pulled pork. I am going to see if I can find some around town.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Just today I saw a clip on Facebook where jackfruit was prepared in a savoury way, and then pulled apart and served on a bun - people who tried it said it tasted like pulled pork. I am going to see if I can find some around town.

http://www.uptonsnaturals.com/products/

Super delicious and can be found in most stores. I made a flatbread pizza with it last night and it was delish!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

You can make your own with canned jackfruit (canned in brine, not in syrup). Upton's Naturals now sells jackfruit in sauce. I found some at Whole Foods, it made a tasty BBQ sandwich. Calories are pretty low too, which was a bonus.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love fruit and have tried just about every fruit except durian.. it got close to my mouth and i couldnt do it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with dragonfruit, passionfruit, and apple bananas when I was last in Hawaii. I was warned that the first two aren't usually the same even when you can find them back home (I think the apple bananas simply are not available), so I haven't really tried buying them here. Maybe I should.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I fell in love with dragonfruit, passionfruit, and apple bananas when I was last in Hawaii. I was warned that the first two aren't usually the same even when you can find them back home (I think the apple bananas simply are not available), so I haven't really tried buying them here. Maybe I should.

If the first one wasn't tasteless and crunchy like a barely sweet water chestnut, I'd say the warning is right - at least for the dragonfruit.

I'd think you'd be safe with passionfruit in the summer. We grow it in Texas, and I know it can be grown in a greenhouse so it's not like it'd have to travel all that far.

ETA: I've given up on trying most fruits not grown in the Americas unless I travel to where they're grown. Most are just not good after they make a long trip. Rambutan, mangosteen, and lychee are exceptions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If the first one wasn't tasteless and crunchy like a barely sweet water chestnut, I'd say the warning is right - at least for the dragonfruit.

Definitely not. Sigh. I was afraid of that.

Will try to find some passionfruit, though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I picked up some kumquats for kicks and giggles last week.

Good, but very tart.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Good, but very tart.

I assume you know that the sweetness is in the peel, and you're supposed to eat them whole?\
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried a fruit and couldn't say the name of it. The man that sold it to me said it was nick named or stood for brown sugar fruit. It tasted like brown sugar too. Yummy!

If anyone knows what it might be please speak up :D
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

Good, but very tart.

I assume you know that the sweetness is in the peel, and you're supposed to eat them whole?\

Yep...and I read some people scoop out the tart innards and just eat the peel, but I was feeling kinda saucy so I just went for the whole thing.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mamey is creamy and delicious fruit that sort of tastes like cantaloupe and papaya together.

I also love eating fresh green prickly pears (called "tuna" in Spanish) with the skin removed. Tastes like a sweet delicious cucumber.

uys9bxw6sbhh.jpg

4ylci0xisx7o.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options

Good, but very tart.

My local health-food store had limequat samples recently - hybrid of kumquat & lime, kumquat sized, eaten the same way. Very juicy and lime-y . . . I just loooooved them, and bought a box. VeryVery tart: Yum!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i love fruit and have tried just about every fruit except durian.. it got close to my mouth and i couldnt do it.

Why???? Why couldn't you do it?