Add Calories Burned To Your Walk Without Adding Time

Options
I posted this to my blog this morning and thought it would add some value here as well:

"Add Calories Burned To Your Walk Without Adding Time

Without adding time to the duration of your walk.

Sound too good to be true?

I purchased a 20 lb. weight vest from WalMart yesterday and strapped it on for my 3 mile walk this morning and was amazed at the added calories my HRM reported after my walk, and the best part...

After about 5 minutes of getting the right stride down with the added weight, I actually completed my walk in roughly the same amount of time as I would have without the added weight of the vest.

I normally burn around 370 calories on my walk, but today with the vest I burned 550!

I highly recommend walking around the block with the vest on before you set out for anything major as it does take some getting used too, but once I got into a rhythm, I was able to maintain my normal pace throughout the entire walk."

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    So awesome! I have two 3-pound weights I'd like to start carrying with me on my walks. I just wonder how many extra calories I'd burn since I don't have a HRM. Anyone have any idea?
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    how much was the vest?
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! It makes sense that you'd burn more since your body is working ahrder with the added weight. So simple yet I never thought of it! LOL!!! I have thought about using hand weights during a walk but I can't walk far on roads so I rarely go out for them. It would work on teh elliptical though probably...... hmmmmmm
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What an awesome idea!!
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bet ankle or wrist weights would have the same effect - awesome idea!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is the vest I got:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-20-lb.-Adjustable-Conditioning-Vest/14894526?findingMethod=rr

For some reason, it was $50 at my store though wtf LOL
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    that's burn increase measured via the HRM, right?
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yup, burn was figured using the same HRM, but I normally take around 20% off the top of any calorie burn, you can never be too sure LOL