There's a new fruit in town! Name your new never tried fruit and spread the fruity love!

Options
2»

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Rambutan is so delicious! I haven't tried any new fruit in ages :( the last new fruit I tried was Durian when I was in Thailand.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I fell in love with dragonfruit, passionfruit, and apple bananas when I was last in Hawaii. I was warned that the first two aren't usually the same even when you can find them back home (I think the apple bananas simply are not available), so I haven't really tried buying them here. Maybe I should.

If the first one wasn't tasteless and crunchy like a barely sweet water chestnut, I'd say the warning is right - at least for the dragonfruit.

Definitely not. Sigh. I was afraid of that.

Will try to find some passionfruit, though.

Well the dragon fruit I had was sweet not crunchy like a water chestnut tho maybe it wasn't ripe the one you got, look for a bright pink with very green scales.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i love fruit and have tried just about every fruit except durian.. it got close to my mouth and i couldnt do it.

Why???? Why couldn't you do it?

From what I understand Durian fruit smells and tastes like a recently finished training in raw garbage basketball team's armpits is running a train on your nose and tastebuds.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Well I saw Cherimoya, Mamey, and sapadilla there I'll have to try! I saw Asian pear looked interesting and banana blossom!
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    i love fruit and have tried just about every fruit except durian.. it got close to my mouth and i couldnt do it.

From what I understand Durian fruit smells and tastes like a recently finished training in raw garbage basketball team's armpits is running a train on your nose and tastebuds.

Eww!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Eww!

ROFL! Sounds just about right. I grew up in Malaysia and LOVE durians. But my kids cried when we visited and they got close enough to smell lol. And the smell lingers forever.

One time, my mom actually bought spoons from the vendor that sold food next door (they thought we were crazy).kids stayed in the closed up AC car while we feasted on durians with our spoons (so the smell wouldnt stay on our fingers LOL)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Saw it posted above...we love jackfruit and dragon fruit. Sadly the Fresh jackfruit here is expensive and blah (unlike when we were in Singapore and bought a full bag fresh for like 2 dollars). Frozen isn't bad though. We do have dragon fruit regularly. Haven't found snake fruit here yet. Anther favourite is Longan....and fresh mangosteen....the ones here are far past their prime!!

My most recent fruit of the month is honey pomelo. Love the fact it isn't as tart as grapefruit, is peel able easily n chunks and is just great for snacks...

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I don't like dragon fruit much, have you tried Sharon fruit? I might try the jackfruit, if I don't like it I can give it to my parrot!
    Have you heard of James Wong? He's an English gardener with an interest in strange and unusual fruits. I'm going to try and grow some cucamelons
  • star1407
    Options
    Years ago I tried a fruit and couldn't say the name of it. The man that sold it to me said it was nick named or stood for brown sugar fruit. It tasted like brown sugar too. Yummy!

If anyone knows what it might be please speak up :D

Chico. Just found a cool list of fruit to try and it's number two on the list!
    http://mightygirl.com/2012/05/28/10-fruits-to-try-before-you-die/
  • star1407
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86T5e5NJ02k
    Also found this, it's also called sapadilla
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »

So THAT is the "English" name. I never knew what sapadillas were. In Malaysia, it's called Ciku (or Chico would be a similar sound). I haven't seen it since I was young and had pretty much forgotten about it. Mmmmm...I can taste it now. Just like creamy, melt in your mouth, brown sugar.

• star1407
    Options
    Yum, I'm definitely going to look for this
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

star1407 wrote: »

Omg that's it. Thanks you! Now I want to try and find them again :)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Not quite as adventurous as most but something I haven't seen in the UK much is the pomelo/ugli it's a citrus fruit it's massive and tastes somewhere in between a grapefruit and an orange. You have to peel it and take the skin of the segments because it's really tough and it's huge but so tasty.

Never tried dragon fruit, I want to but they're so expensive!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaa yes star fruits are pretty but great description, they taste watered down. They look pretty for decoration.

- I LOVE guavas.

- I Love green and bright pink prickley pears "tuna" in Spanish.

- I Love persimmons but only if they are extremely, extremely ripe, they need to be super soft, almost "mushy". If you eat them when they aren't ripe they are horribly bitter.

- I love fresh figs; green or dark purple

• srujana_kanneganti
    Options
    Persimmons are so good. ^

Also, anyone tried Sitaphal ? I think it's called a custard apple in english...
    Had them in India--very sweet fruit.