Sick of being obese.

Options
13»

Replies

• Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of being obese too BTW. But I cheat a lot, that's why. I'm doing a lot BETTER AT MFP.

Also, I got a garmin, and that helps cuz I count steps. It's good to have a step goal you are working on.
  • Johnnielow
    Johnnielow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Numer1ca wrote: »
    John, how does your family eat? Are there low hanging fruit choices to remove, such as chips?

I have made it my mission to have a healthy, home cooked meal every night, and that helps me. Having whole foods, like apples, oranges, bananas and grapes available.

Today's lunch was roasted pitatoes, eggs and broccoli cuz I had nothing on the fridge.

Going this way with the cooking gas really helped me out.

They used to eat very well. They are from Mexico and eat lots of fruits, veggies and small portions of meats. But since they've been with me they have really developed some poor eating habits which they are ready to change. We cook most meals at home and have removed many of the bad foods.

• Johnnielow
    Options
    Numer1ca wrote: »
    I'm sick of being obese too BTW. But I cheat a lot, that's why. I'm doing a lot BETTER AT MFP.

Also, I got a garmin, and that helps cuz I count steps. It's good to have a step goal you are working on.

Good, cheating doesn't help but nor does deprivation. Balance!

I got a Fitbit and have been hitting my 10,000 steps a day!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Starting this accountability app. is the best thing in starting to live a healthy life John. I am on day 80, but my husband is on day 280 something.... I stopped because my sons were here visiting and life happens!

To add people just click on the picture, then it shows some options. Click on their name and then you will go to their profile. Just click "add friend". They will get a notice saying you have asked.

Remember losing weight isn't the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to losing weight. Be patient, and if you bite it, you write it. Not being truthful in the logging only hurts you, so be vigilant. I usually log my food after lunch, so then I can see how much I have left for dinner. I make a printout and then cross off what I have eaten and was is planned for dinner. This helps me stay on target.

This is a great journey, and is empowering. Nothing feels as good as getting healthy feels. I also did other programs, but this one is different, because its MINE. I am the leader here, and I choose what I wish to eat, and do.

um just to clarify, I answered how to add friends threads and threads ago. You missed it! :wink:
  • Johnnielow
    Options
    Starting this accountability app. is the best thing in starting to live a healthy life John. I am on day 80, but my husband is on day 280 something.... I stopped because my sons were here visiting and life happens!

To add people just click on the picture, then it shows some options. Click on their name and then you will go to their profile. Just click "add friend". They will get a notice saying you have asked.

Remember losing weight isn't the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to losing weight. Be patient, and if you bite it, you write it. Not being truthful in the logging only hurts you, so be vigilant. I usually log my food after lunch, so then I can see how much I have left for dinner. I make a printout and then cross off what I have eaten and was is planned for dinner. This helps me stay on target.

This is a great journey, and is empowering. Nothing feels as good as getting healthy feels. I also did other programs, but this one is different, because its MINE. I am the leader here, and I choose what I wish to eat, and do.

um just to clarify, I answered how to add friends threads and threads ago. You missed it! :wink:

I saw that, thanks!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    well night! Going to let the Oregonian rain lull me ta sleep. Tomorrow I shall get my ooogles of water in. It's hard to get in my water when its raining outside.. I mean my life is water. Then we go to a pool for exercise, so water there too.... AAAAck. Well, nice discussion. My daily journal is open so you can see what I eat or don't eat. I know men eat different than ladies, but I have some great throw together meals! I also add cayenne pepper to alot of my foods so I drink water!
  • Johnnielow
    Options
    well night! Going to let the Oregonian rain lull me ta sleep. Tomorrow I shall get my ooogles of water in. It's hard to get in my water when its raining outside.. I mean my life is water. Then we go to a pool for exercise, so water there too.... AAAAck. Well, nice discussion. My daily journal is open so you can see what I eat or don't eat. I know men eat different than ladies, but I have some great throw together meals! I also add cayenne pepper to alot of my foods so I drink water!

Good night, sleep well and thank you for such a warm welcome.
  • Johnnielow
    Options
    Good night and thank you all for the kind words, advice and encouragement.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am not new to MFP, but have just started AGAIN about a week and a half ago. I have ZERO willpower, so I am in the same boat as you. One slip up and its downhill full steam ahead from there. This time I have been doing ok, managing to keep most cravings at bay. I am a little more determined this time, as I am almost finished with veterinary nursing school and I NEED to get this weight off so I will be able to do my job. As of right now I am not able to squat or kneel down (both things that every veterinary nurse MUST be able to do) and if I don't change, I will have graduated with a fancy degree and not even be able to put it to good use! I have a long way to go and am always looking for friends and encouragement. Feel free to add me if you like! MFP is wonderful and it works if we stick to it! (I have noticed that I tend to stick with it longer when I have more friends for accountability and motivation.)

Good luck!
  • EllieHendren
    EllieHendren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Johnnielow wrote: »
    John, 55 years old and 297 pounds. Have done every program and plan you can think of and was contemplating Weight Watchers when I found MFP. I am at a time in my life where I need to stop quitting and start getting my butt in gear. I have been married 3 1/2 years to my beautiful wife who is 12 years my junior and am dad to her 2 teenage boys aged 19 and 16 (hate the term step kids so they are my sons). They love the gym but honestly my lack of following any sort of diet for more then 3-4 days at a time has led them to gain unneeded weight as well. I owe them more, and my wife her husband being around and active.

I will support any and all that support me, I also believe in paying it forward. I really need all the motivation I can get and will do the same for you.

Thanks for reading my long intro.

John

Hi, I'm new here too. Like you I've had enough of bring obese, and I've just started a Counterweight course via my local authority and doctor. I'm a regular exerciser, but I have dreadful eating habits (stress, rewarding myself with food and comfort eating are my downfalls ). The combination of being far too heavy and a deep desire to jump around like others do has given me a dodgy knee.

I've tried pretty much every diet out there, and after wasting hundreds of pounds on slimming clubs and fad diets I have decided it's time to get a grip and face up to the fact that I need to think differently about food and my eating habits. I'm hoping that Counterweight will change how I think and feel (and get rid of the guilt), and with the help of MFP and exercise I will finally reach my goal but more importantly, stay there.

Good luck with your new heathier lifestyle and I'm sure you will achieve your goalso
  • Johnnielow
    Options
    Morglez wrote: »
    Hey there! I am not new to MFP, but have just started AGAIN about a week and a half ago. I have ZERO willpower, so I am in the same boat as you. One slip up and its downhill full steam ahead from there. This time I have been doing ok, managing to keep most cravings at bay. I am a little more determined this time, as I am almost finished with veterinary nursing school and I NEED to get this weight off so I will be able to do my job. As of right now I am not able to squat or kneel down (both things that every veterinary nurse MUST be able to do) and if I don't change, I will have graduated with a fancy degree and not even be able to put it to good use! I have a long way to go and am always looking for friends and encouragement. Feel free to add me if you like! MFP is wonderful and it works if we stick to it! (I have noticed that I tend to stick with it longer when I have more friends for accountability and motivation.)

Good luck!

You can do this, you will do this, in fact we both will. Success breeds success, you have a great goal you are working for as do I. We got this!!

• Johnnielow
    Options
    Johnnielow wrote: »
    John, 55 years old and 297 pounds. Have done every program and plan you can think of and was contemplating Weight Watchers when I found MFP. I am at a time in my life where I need to stop quitting and start getting my butt in gear. I have been married 3 1/2 years to my beautiful wife who is 12 years my junior and am dad to her 2 teenage boys aged 19 and 16 (hate the term step kids so they are my sons). They love the gym but honestly my lack of following any sort of diet for more then 3-4 days at a time has led them to gain unneeded weight as well. I owe them more, and my wife her husband being around and active.

I will support any and all that support me, I also believe in paying it forward. I really need all the motivation I can get and will do the same for you.

Thanks for reading my long intro.

John

Hi, I'm new here too. Like you I've had enough of bring obese, and I've just started a Counterweight course via my local authority and doctor. I'm a regular exerciser, but I have dreadful eating habits (stress, rewarding myself with food and comfort eating are my downfalls ). The combination of being far too heavy and a deep desire to jump around like others do has given me a dodgy knee.

I've tried pretty much every diet out there, and after wasting hundreds of pounds on slimming clubs and fad diets I have decided it's time to get a grip and face up to the fact that I need to think differently about food and my eating habits. I'm hoping that Counterweight will change how I think and feel (and get rid of the guilt), and with the help of MFP and exercise I will finally reach my goal but more importantly, stay there.

Good luck with your new heathier lifestyle and I'm sure you will achieve your goalso

Thank you, as will you achieve your goals! I'm sure of it!!